SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Kauz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:33 AM
Somewhere in the Black Forest
Joined Oct 2009
450 Posts
Mini-Review
The E-flite Hawker Hurricane 25e

Ever since I was a child the Hawker Hurricane was one of my all time favourites. I built plastic models of this aircraft in different scales and the largest one was one from Revell in 1/32nd scale, but this was forty years ago. When E-flite announced their model of a Hurricane, the time had come for a rc-version but unfortunately it was way to pricey for me. Several weeks ago, an Austrian dealer started a discount on this model and reduced the price by almost fifty percent. Now I knew, my time had come and I pulled the trigger....
When the model arrived I checked the content of the package and the overall quality of the parts was very good. But on some spots there were things with which I wasn't happy too much. The two fuselage halfes weren't glued properly from aft of the cockpit back to the fin, so I had to find my own solution to fix this problem as glueing together wasn't as easy as I thought. My approach was useing a special kind of glue with which I "spackled" the gap and, after the glue had dried, painted it over in the corresponding colour. I ordered the retracts with this model as it deserves it for the scale touch, but installing them with the struts that were delivered with the retracts was a bit tricky. Therefore I ordered the pre-bent struts too which make things a lot easier. One of the major changes I did, was altering the whole drive unit. I'm flying a FMS P-51 and so I have a bunch of 4-S batteries at home but very few 3-S ones. The only ones I have are 2200's (too small) and 4400's ( too large and also old). So I thought before buying another set of batteries, I better buy another cheap motor with lower kv's than the stock one and run it with the batteries I'm using in my P-51. Due to the higher voltage I have more power and I can mount an airscrew with a larger diameter which provides more thrust. And I have a better overall efficiency. The motor is a "Fusion 3551/06" with 700kv. It has the same size and weight like the stock motor and the airscrew I use is either a "Turnigy light electric 13x6" or a "Graupner CAM-Prop 12.5x6". While the first one draws a static current of about 40-42Amps, will the Graupner one only consume about 36Amps. I also changed the stock spinner into a Aeronaut one of the same size. Although it doesen't look scale, it has some advantages over the stock one that I don't want to miss. At first it is very rigid and runs absolutely true, which is quite important at such high revs and second, it has a backplate of machined aluminum with large cutouts and so has the spinner cone, thus allowing a better airflow for motor and ESC cooling purposes in this narrow fuselage.
Between Friday and Sunday I made my first seven flights with this really beautiful model and my flight times and the capacities I could recharge into the batteries seem to prove my concept a success.
With flight times of ten minutes Iím able to charge between 1300 and 1600mAhís back into the batteries.
These flights were powerful with vertical climbs, rolls and loops but in normal level flight I can throttle back quite a bit, so it seems to have been a good idea. Of course I will paint the spinner and the airscrew after the succsessful flight evaluation And now some photos that show the model during the "build" and weathering and after completion. Photos "in action" and maybe a video will follow.

Frank
Kauz is offline Find More Posts by Kauz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kauz; Nov 09, 2012 at 06:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:51 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Wow she is beautiful! Looking forward to videos!
Nobby33 is offline Find More Posts by Nobby33
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:34 PM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
804 Posts
Again Frank,
Awesome work, it looks great!
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:33 AM
Joined Oct 2009
450 Posts
Here are some photos I forgot to post on opening this thread. They show the radiator onto which I painted a black inlet and outlet and some panel lines to bring a bit of life to it and also the anti-slip areas on the wing roots on both sides which I made of fine grit sandpaper. I also soldered the wires of the retracts and the flaps to a Multiplex connector like I did on my FMS P-51 to get rid of the wire mess inside the narrow fuselage and to ease and accelerate assembly of the model on the flying field. The wires of the ailerons will be soldered to such a plug too but I have to buy one at first because this was the last I had at home.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kauz; Oct 26, 2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Oct 2009
450 Posts
My new propeller and the missing Multiplex connector arrived yesterday. The propeller and spinner are painted and the plug is soldered to the aileron wires, so everything is finished. At last I couldn't resist and give the underside of the wing a bit more weathering as it was still to "clean" for me I painted the spinner in red/white although this is not scale on the "J-XB", but I did this as an hommage to the plastic model I built forty years back. I attached two scans from the original instructions booklet where you can see the artwork and the painting instructions showing the spinner being red and white. It's a representation of R.R. Stanford-Tucks aircraft.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kauz; Nov 08, 2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:57 AM
No Guts, No Glory
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
575 Posts
multiplex connector

Hi

About this connector, it has 9 pins?

So you can use 1 mpx connector for wing, why

1 = all red wires ( + )
2 = all black,brown wires ( - )
3= white,orange aileron servos
4 = white,orange flaps
5 = white,orange retracs

just some info

grts Hans and great work on yours Hurri
timmybeetle is offline Find More Posts by timmybeetle
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:22 AM
Joined Oct 2009
450 Posts
Hello Hans,
the connector only has six pins. I was thinking about soldering all the wires to only one of them, but they are so small there wouldn't have been enough room for all the wires. (especially the red and black/brown ones) It would have been a mess to solder them and liable to produce a source of electric shortcuts, that's why I chose this way. But two connectors are comfortable enough too ;-)

Frank

P.S.: I'm using a separate channel for each aileron servo, I don't like them to be together in one.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kauz; Oct 25, 2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:47 PM
Holly Hill, Fl.
Joined Mar 2005
710 Posts
Great looking Hurri ......a job well done. I've grimmed mine up abit as well including the inside of the wheel wells with both an earth color and black really liked the way it came out.

Love the single plug for all the servos. I haven't attacked that process yet but in the near future I need to learn how to do that. Enjoyed reading your blog on the model

Regards
Mike
flmlm is offline Find More Posts by flmlm
Last edited by flmlm; Oct 28, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:52 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2010
286 Posts
EDIT: Never mind, I've figured it out by looking at the picture more closely: flaps and retracts on one connector and ailerons on the other.

Hi Kauz,

I've ordered some Multiplex connectors as well, could you explain how are yours wired please?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauz View Post
Hello Hans,
the connector only has six pins. I was thinking about soldering all the wires to only one of them, but they are so small there wouldn't have been enough room for all the wires. (especially the red and black/brown ones) It would have been a mess to solder them and liable to produce a source of electric shortcuts, that's why I chose this way. But two connectors are comfortable enough too ;-)

Frank

P.S.: I'm using a separate channel for each aileron servo, I don't like them to be together in one.
GP73 is offline Find More Posts by GP73
Last edited by GP73; Nov 09, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Oct 2009
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP73 View Post
EDIT: Never mind, I've figured it out by looking at the picture more closely: flaps and retracts on one connector and ailerons on the other.
You're absolutely right I was thinking about soldering all the wires onto one single connector but that would have been a mess of wires (and work) The only thing I did in addition was to enlarge the hole in the fuselage to feed through the two connectors.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Albatros DV.a....the third ;-)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Nov 2011
20 Posts
Hmm,
I ordered one from Austria yesterday as well. Now I wonder if the good price means that it has a production flaw.

I also tried to find a place I could both the pre-bent struts and the retracts, but that seems difficult. I also tried to buy them from Horizon Hobby, but strangely enough Norway is not on the list of countries that they ship to.

Any advices ?
Wigean is offline Find More Posts by Wigean
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Oct 2009
450 Posts
Hi,
don't worry, the low price has nothing to do with a production flaw. And from my experiences on the german forum, mine was a single one with those "flaws".
I got my pre-bents from here:

http://www.mhm-modellbau.de/suchen.p...ext=efl+297519

and also the retracts:

http://www.mhm-modellbau.de/suchen.p...htext=efl+g200

Cheers,
Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Nov 2011
20 Posts
Sehr vielen thanx Frank!

I'll check the links and hope they will send to Norway.
Wigean is offline Find More Posts by Wigean
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:36 PM
ARMY ATC (93C)
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jan 2005
1,114 Posts
It's probably a preference, but any reason I couldn't use 15-minute epoxy vs. 30-minute? I'm not worried about time as I've built enough foamies to not panic and have epoxy dry too soon. I would not attempt 5 minute on this model, but have on others. The only thing I can think of is a while back when I used 30 is that it dried clear, vs. brownish wiht 5 and 15 minute.

I have a lot of 5 and 15 minute laying around, but no 30 minute. I don't mind buying it. Stores about 30 minutes away though. :-)
mjbennett9 is offline Find More Posts by mjbennett9
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:27 AM
Joined Oct 2009
450 Posts
I think 15-min epoxy should be fine for the wing. Although I used even 60-min as the nearest DIY-shop only had this or 5-min epoxy. Maybe you can do the assembly of the wing like I did, by glueing in the carbon tube in advance, so you only have to take care for the area where the wing halfes meet. For the other parts such as the tube of the stabilizer, the carburertor inlet and the other various plastic parts that have to be glued to the wing, I used 5-min epoxy and that worked well. I have been in the same situation as you, my next hobby shop is also more than 30 minutes away and I didn't want to drive there just for a package of glue ;-)
RCG Plus Member