HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:43 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,273 Posts
Build Log
Scratchbuilt A-10 Warthog

Hey everyone,

My friend (who has 30+ years CAD, and aeronautical experience) and I have decided to tackle a scratchbuilt A-10. My friend is doing the CAD work for this model an it probably will take a bit of time for us to finish then test. Here's the idea's we came up with for the A-10:

WS- 54inches.
Fan configuration- 64mm EDF 5blade EDO fans with Don's wicked 4000kv motors.
Battery- 4 Cells Lipo 3000mah battery.
ESC's- Castle Creations 54amp X 2.

We are also working on making the nacelle's removable within the fuselage by four crews to allow the user to change from the EDF units to a tractor style configuration at the field. Giving longer flight times and a different type of power.

Tractor style power system is yet to be determined.......

I will be making a model with the fan configuration and my friend will be building the tractor style configuration. Then after test we will see how they both perform.

I will be posting as we go along. Thanks for tagging along

Cheers
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Last edited by thedeuce; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:48 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,273 Posts
Here we go...

Top portion of the fuselage. The puzzle like joints allow the material to fit on the laser cutter. The cutter only allows material with the size of 32"x18" so to have a larger piece it simply gets split in two with "puzzle like" connections. The plywood "deck", visible here in brown is used to shape or trim the fuselage sides to the desired shape.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:51 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,273 Posts
Here's what the removable top of the fuselage looks like. We have made the removable top to be the whole length of the fuselage to allow for ease of access to electronics.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:53 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,273 Posts
Here is the bottom plywood structure for the removable top. The second picture shows the bottom plywood structure with an air inlet for cooling the batteries and ESC's.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:55 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,273 Posts
This is the bottom of the fuselage with the foam attached. The side contouring is done with the top fuselage half attached. The shape is determined by the "deck" portion shown in the first two pictures.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:58 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,273 Posts
View with the fuselage assembled and the fuselage shaped. the second photo is with the nacelles installed. Twin 64mm fans. The third picture is the front view. And the fourth is the removable fan assembly.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:04 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,273 Posts
The first picture shows the "naked" plywood structure.

The second view is the referenced view showing the outline created using 3 view plans.

The third view is the front. This was the master view. Changes since have been to change the WS to 54". In another post I will explain why the WS was changed. There are still belly foam fillers to be added.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:12 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,273 Posts
Top view. The shape of the fans were changed slightly to make them simpler to build, and to accommodate the fans. With the size of this model, the nacelles will accommodate up to 90mm fans. The real engines are not symmetrical so they would be more difficult to make. Well more work at least. The shape of these nacelles are more round, yet from the side they still look authentic. Having them like this will make it easier to turn on a drill press out of foam blocks. Then they could be split along the waterline and the inside could be carved out to create the necessary clearance for the fan and ducting. The nacelle half will be removable and held in place with small magnets for easy access to the fans if needed. The fans will be attached to the plywood structure installed in the duct.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,273 Posts
Wing side view. The wing tip will have 2 deg of washout built in to improve slow flight capabilities ans to improve tip stall.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:22 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,273 Posts
The first view is the whole model without the contouring and smoothing done. We will be using layered depron pieces for the fuselage, but a solid chunk of foam could also be used.

The second view is the model with the tractor style configuration. The nacelles will be able to be removed at the field if the user wanted to fly the A-10 with either fans or tractor style props. The change over will only take a minute or two using four screws.

The third view of the model, we increased the size of the ailerons to allow for better lateral controllability in slow flight.

The fourth view, using solid blocks of foam instead of layered depron.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:26 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,273 Posts
Here are the two views of the top fuselage sections at the front and the rear. In the first view the rear has a "hook" at the back and the second view shows the protruding segment up front. These slide into corresponding slots, preventing the top from side to side movements. A small magnet will hold the top in place in the front preventing it from sliding forward.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:27 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,273 Posts
Finished view.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:32 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,273 Posts
In this front view of the model, we decided to stretch the wing span a bit to get more area fro virtually no weight penalty. Drooped wing tip's don't do much on models of this size. They look good and more scale, but they are aerodynamically useless at this scale. WS is now just over 54".

Modified the wheel wells to make them more scale like.

The large circle around the engine is the 5.5 inch tractor prop line. The hole on the inside represents the size of the 64mm fans. This model could easily incorporate 90mm fans if wanted.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:34 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,273 Posts
First view is just a side view.

The second view is with the height of the canopy adjustment.

And the third view is the side view with the canopy height adjusted.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:38 PM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
227 Posts
Nice looking so far! I will be watching. Always loved the A-10. I wanted to build one myself. I have too many already in the planning stages. Look forward to watching the build.
VIDEOPRO is offline Find More Posts by VIDEOPRO