HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:50 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2003
546 Posts
Discussion
JR XG 8 transmitter

Anybody have any feedback on the JR XG 8 transmitter for soaring?

Name: JR XG 8 transmitter.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 7.2 KB
Description:
Hoot is offline Find More Posts by Hoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:01 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,096 Posts
Hi Hoot,

I've got one driving an Xplorer.
No issues; it's basically a JR9303 with DMSS tech.

Programming has evolved better again.

It's lighter thanks to a smaller battery and the rear panel layout offers a more secure hand-hold than the 9303.

Swapping ratchet from mode 1 to mode 2 was a pita. Possible but you need steady hands and tweezers.

Built-in RX voltage monitor seems pretty accurate.

Setting up crow / camber is easier thanks to dedicated "crow" and camber menus ditto differential set-up is easier.

I'm happy with mine. All it's missing IMHO is different audio beeps for timer and signal strength.

The rx that comes with it uses a satellite but was still small enough to install for me.

I have an issue with paying $70 for the altimeter sensor though...$70 for a tiny pcb with a mass-produced chipset is perplexing.

That's where FrSky has it all over established manufacturers; their stuff works and is cheaper.

I also have a 9303 with FrSky that sees service in a Ceres and Blaster 2. If you pick up a good 2nd hand one you won't be disappointed.

Chris.
DrFragnasty is offline Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:33 AM
Aussie F3K Pilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2008
529 Posts
Hi Hoot,
You can find a thread about the XG8 for gliders here...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1479460
Cheers,
Marcus
Machineman is online now Find More Posts by Machineman
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Sep 2007
426 Posts
Chris, I agree with you about price of the altitude sensor. That is outrageous. I actually emailed Dave West from Winged Shadow Systems and he said that the current How High will not work with DMSS unfortunately. So as of right now, we are stuck with JR's Alt sensor or nothing.

Randy
burke757 is online now Find More Posts by burke757
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:01 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,902 Posts
I am looking for the codes to enter the service menu for the XG-8. I need to re-calibraate the stick on my radio. Anyone know the access codes? I am experienced in how to use the service menu as I have used the DX-7 and JR 9303 service menus.

Thanks in advance.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Aug 2006
423 Posts
Interesting Madmax. In the XG11 the sticks calibration function is readily accessible from the TX Setting menu but it is not there in the XG8.

Stefano
stefanoc2 is offline Find More Posts by stefanoc2
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,902 Posts
Yeah I couldn't find it.
I am converting the right Aileron/elevator stick so it will also use a "Knobby"(wheel) for the rudder. The install will require a calibration once I have the rudder knob installed.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:20 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,902 Posts
Just found this:
JR Propo just released new SW updates to the XG8 radio systems:

XG8 Update Software Version:0001-0008

Contents of software change:

– Adding a new feature of Stick calibration.
– Under the system list on “TX SETTING” new feature “Stick calibration” – STICK CALIBRATION FUNCTION (PDF | 43.3KB)
– Voltage indication on the French language has slight change as follows. (i.e. period to comma) (Before) 6.4V => (After)6,4V

Go here for download and video instruction on how to download:

http://helidaily.com/jr-propo-new-sw...radio-systems/
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Aug 2006
423 Posts
The one feature that I would love to see in the XG8 is the ability to independently subtrim each wing servo in every flight mode. This is available on the XG11 and hopefully will be added to the XG8
Stefano
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Feb 2011
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanoc2 View Post
The one feature that I would love to see in the XG8 is the ability to independently subtrim each wing servo in every flight mode. This is available on the XG11 and hopefully will be added to the XG8
Stefano
I am also hoping for this.
Is it already part of the program??
Thanks,
Thomas
MKSservosUSA.com is offline Find More Posts by MKSservosUSA.com
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:51 AM
Joined Oct 2006
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanoc2 View Post
Stefano
That would be perfect. Alternative: the ballance function will solve the biggest problems with synchronising the flaps too. Also nice for my V-tails....

FYEO
Commercially not advisible for JR Propo, I am planning to buy a XG11 just because of this problem with my XG8. Tried to solve it with free-mixing, 5 point curve. Not happy with my solution so far .

Jan
dutchsoarer is offline Find More Posts by dutchsoarer
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:02 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,902 Posts
Stefano :
The one feature that I would love to see in the XG8 is the ability to independently subtrim each wing servo

I agree............Maybe an e-mail to those who make decisions would be in order........I would think the addition of new subtrims would simply be another software change.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Aug 2006
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax1965 View Post
Stefano :
The one feature that I would love to see in the XG8 is the ability to independently subtrim each wing servo

I agree............Maybe an e-mail to those who make decisions would be in order........I would think the addition of new subtrims would simply be another software change.
I do not have pull but email sent today anyway.

I cannot tell from the manual which switches are 3 position. Do you know?
I am hopping it is a similar lay-out to the 9303 where I can have my flight modes on the 3 position switch second in from the left side of transmitter.

Stefano
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Aug 2006
423 Posts
More questions .... the specs say:

Li-Fe 6.4V, 1400mAh 2S transmitter battery pack
Integrated charging circuit

Does the radio have a built in balancer for the 2 cell pack or do we need to remove the battery from the transmitter if we want to use a balancer?

Stefano
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,817 Posts
Stefano,

The charge gets balanced internally to the pack. I made a charger plug so I can field charge just the pack (I don't use the wall charger except for rare occasions). About half of the time the internal circuit cuts off the charge prior to the field charger, which makes the charger a bit grumpy due to the "open circuit" that it detects if the internal circuit determines the end of charge.

One little comment regarding the internal circuitry on the battery. If you leave the tx on accidentally and are not around to hear it the beeping from the unattended tx warning, the internal circuit will turn off the battery output prior to the battery getting damaged. I found this out after traveling thru the US, and the TSA must have turned on the tx at some point... A nice feature!

There is a caution regarding this internal circuit. If you run the tx really low and ignore the low voltage alarm for a while, it will not turn back on after you turn it off. Don't cycle the power if you need the tx for a few more minutes of usage!
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W