Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:27 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.robinson View Post
I'm about to try a link to the wheels eye4wings is looking at. Here goes
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mbly_2pc_.html
Ken was kind enough to go thru the link/ copy/ paste with me this afternoon! Thanks my friend, I think I have it now. Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:00 PM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
Just got back from the local Hobby Obsession with another 20 shts of 3/32" balsa. It sure is great to have a local shop again that will order in.
Doug was here this afternoon to discuss some engineering issues and we mocked up what we had. My fuselage (now glued together) and his wing. No one made Merlin engine noises, but we were tempted. I had to restrain Doug.

Ken
ken.robinson is offline Find More Posts by ken.robinson
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:31 PM
Slaton, TX
Joined Oct 2008
735 Posts
Doug, Ken, Paul....................FREAKIN' AWESOME

Trey
supercubman is offline Find More Posts by supercubman
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:09 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
Thanks supercubman: I've been watching you Beaver build since the beginning, I may be building one next.
As mentioned Ken and I got together today to sort out a couple of issues.
Some careful measurements proved that we can put the battery wires in front of the wing tube and keep everything else behind it . We had originally intended to have everything in front, turns out it interferes with the removable top hatch unless we wanted to chop out a section.
Second is my problem only, I set my wing dihedral at 5 degrees on each side. Turns out that should be the total , it should have been 2 1/2 degrees each. I'll have to modify the fuselage mount to fix. Not the end of the world, but a misinterpretation on my part.
Ken is ready to start his wings, and Paul will be shortly, so they won't have the issue. Doug B
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:33 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,161 Posts
Wow, nothing can beat those dry fit experiences in my view, when you start getting an impression of what the final plane will look like

Thanks for the link on the wheels it worked fine, I spent a good deal of time on Saturday trying to find them, the search engine on Hobby King is terrible with only the 4" version coming up in searches
heli_madken is online now Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:32 AM
Owen Sound, Ontario
Joined Jan 2006
68 Posts
freakin' awesome!

Wow Ken, what great photos. I think its safe to say that between the three of us, we will be able to build at least one complete plane!

Paul
Paulofthenorth is offline Find More Posts by Paulofthenorth
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:54 AM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
Hatch fitted and rough sanded. Total weight of fuselage and hatch assembly 22 oz. (625g).
Waiting for servos for fuselage, on to the wing, now that pathfinder Doug has resolved a lot of the build problems.

Ken
ken.robinson is offline Find More Posts by ken.robinson
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:18 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
Pathfinder, now thats a new term for finding screwups -hehe. Ever since I opted to build the wings first, I have been plagues with a feeling that something has gone wrong. Installation of the LG required pieces to fit on my wings that didn't look right. I woke up yesterday morning with a brain rush that had me running to the plans even before I made my first coffee!
A little notation I had missed tells of the nacelle uprights being installed at the same angle as the wing to fuselage - 5 degrees.
I made m ycoffee, then sent emails to Ken and Paul warning to hold off building wings until measurements where confirmed.
My first panicky thoughts where I probably need to buy enough wood to build another pair of wings.
Paul was the first to respond, he had me set the wings together with the wing tube installed and check for angles /parallel. square.
After an hour of carefully checking every perimeter I could think of, the only problem that existed was the nacelles where installed 90 degrees to the wing, they should have been set at the 5 degree angle to be square with the ground.
I reported back to Paul, the problem found and duly noted so as not to be repeated.
Ken then called, after some discussion about how to reset the nacelles, I went to his place to pick up a couple of special tools.
I first had to remove the firewall, LG servo mount, and LG main mount, all epoxied in. Ken told me about heating the epoxy to make it release. New to me, and a valuable trick, it made removal easy.
I cut the nacelles thru the balsa to the 1/32 ply sheeting, reset to the 5 degrees, reset the firewall. Everything else kind of fell into place. One done, one to go! Oh, the joys of model airplane building. Doug B
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:40 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
I owe a world of thanks to Paul and Ken at this point for their insight and knowledge!
Pauls immediate phone call ( no more than 5 minutes after I sent the email) with a way of setting up to know what was and wasn't wrong had me focus'd immediately. He knew I was flippin' out and responded now!
Kens answers/solutions to help correct the now found problem, the trick with epoxy, and the proper tool, a battery powered oscillating flat blade cutter made a daunting task totally feasible and much easier to do.
I'll be back on course shortly, and, maybe with Ken and Pauls guidance, I'll stay there!!!
All the checking I did confirmed that everything is going to go much smoother for K & P.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:53 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,244 Posts
Really awesome work guys.
BT Mossie is on the bucket list, but the landing gear always scares me off
Dam those landing gear you made are works of art, and the rest of the work everyone else has done is not bad either

Really looking forward to watching the build and the flight videos
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:05 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
Hi Ken Lapointe: Ken and Paul are the real experts here!
They both turn piles of wood into artforms.
Me, I'm a welder, and until I started flying and building balsa airplanes, I considered wood good for burning to stay warm or toast hotdogs!!!
The landing gear was and is quite a challenge, I just hope it works as expected. I believe it will, but only the first and 100th landing will confirm.
The absolute best part of this for me is the comradship, and the joint efforts to see three Mosquitos in formation! I hope we get to maiden and fly them together often. Doug B
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:24 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,161 Posts
Looking good well done for spotting and correcting the errror before you got an further

By the way there are too many Ken's around here

Ken
heli_madken is online now Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:20 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
I hear you about the number of Ken's, my brothers a Ken too! Maybe other Ken's will join in- hehe.
Years ago I was in a country western bar, ended up sitting at a table with 5 other Doug's and one Barbara! Needless to say the texas tea flowed freely that night!!

Thanks for the encouragment Ken, its not the first mistake I've made building rc airplanes, and probably won't be the last. Correcting it now solves all kinds of issues. Kit parts didn't line up, where too short or too long. Thats what got me thinking of the problem I had getting the LG into the nacelle, and its outward lean. That is all resolved with resetting the nacelle formers.
Doug B
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
Well, after a few days of cutting, resetting and reglueing, I have finally gotten back to the point where I can start to build parts again.
I now have nacelles that are parallel to the ground, wings with the proper dihedral, motor mounts square to the wingspars.
I have all the servos installed, retracts in place for the final time (I hope), esc's installed in both wings with their attending wiring.
I can now go on working on the left wing flaps and ailerons. Ken notified me the covering (Monokote lite grey satin) has arrived. I'll pick it up tomorrow. By then maybe I'll have the flaps/ ail to the point they can be installed/ tested.
Here's some pics of the modified wings and some of the homemade hardware for the flap/ ail connections. Ail control arm is aluminum, but flap is steel. Hard to believe it takes about an hour to make a pair of each!! Doug B
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:16 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
A couple of more pic's. Now on with cleaning the table off and progressing once again!! Doug B