SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:40 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,773 Posts
Hi Ken (aka heli-madken): The Ken in our build is doing his usual fantastic building. His planes come out very nice. I will follow his leads for sure on the fuselage.
I've been working on installing a flap pair into a wing, my idea for a totally enclosed linkage first appeared to work very well. Due to the extreme taper of the wing trailing edge it appears I have some more engineering to do. In approx 17 1/2" it tapers from 1 1/2 to 3/4", pivot points have to change.
I have an idea how, just have to gut what I've done and start fresh. I have all winter, right!!
I've been watching your progress, noticed you haven't posted for awhile, heli, are you slowing down or out of town? Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:03 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario
Joined Jan 2006
65 Posts
Progress on fuse #2

Here's the progress on my fuse. Following fairly close to Ken's work. I made the hatch a bit different shape. No bomb bay on this plane. I'll finish the covering of the hatch after the second half is built and attached and it is fitted over the wing.

Thanks for leading the way on this, Ken.

Paul
Paulofthenorth is offline Find More Posts by Paulofthenorth
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:55 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,773 Posts
Hi Paul: Your fuselage looks great!! Nice to see your build is getting underway.
I spent the last couple of days messing with flaps, now have a workable system. Ithought I was having a big issue with the outer flap, but after reasessing, found I can easily get 35 degrees, which will be more than enough. Everything controlling the flaps will be hidden inside, need to machine two small arms for linkage.
I also spent time completing the LG install and finishing up the last set, so three sets are ready.
Here's a couple of pics of flap installed but not buttoned up. Doug B
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:16 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,109 Posts
Looking great Paul and Doug, this is a really compelling thread seeing the progress of all three, it will get even better as the build progresses. Both my Mossies have had flaps and both needed them to slow down for landing.

Dont worry Doug I have made plenty of progress just enjoying myself too much to take photos, will post soon

Ken (heli_madken)

PS Doug would it be possible to post a link to the wheels you are using?
heli_madken is offline Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:52 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,773 Posts
Hi Ken: The wheels came from Hobby King, part #34000047, Lightweight Aluminum wheel assly, 5". They are currently out of stock at $12.74/pr.
SDS Hobbies has the same wheel listed, but it appears they think they're worth more, like $22.00 each.
Sorry about no link, I have never learned how to do it. Doug B
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:16 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,414 Posts
Short lesson then....

Find page of item,
Look for web address top left of screen (about 1" down)
Highlight it,
click on Edit,
On drop down menu click 'copy'.
You now have the address ready to copy into whatever you are typing (a message such as these) and at the point you want it to appear move the mouse to edit again and click on 'paste'.
As if by magic the address appears.
(It is held in memory until you ask the PC to copy something else)

I often (but sometimes forget to) bookmark the address of anything I think I may need to find again.
Like when shopping for an item and want look at others before making my mind up. The bookmark list can get very long though.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:29 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,773 Posts
Hi eye4wings: Thanks for the tutorial on links. I'll give it a try. Its amazing how I have been mucking about with computers for 10yrs or so and have not picked up on this. Somehow I've always managed to fumble along.
Thats the self taught, no one around to show coming thru. I'll get it! Doug B
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:59 PM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
Here's the latest showing the 2nd half off the board and rubber banded to the first half. Lots of room for electronics and battery. Gluing up coming soon.

Eager to start the wing.

Ken
ken.robinson is offline Find More Posts by ken.robinson
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:55 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario
Joined Jan 2006
65 Posts
2nd fuse progress

2nd half of fuse finished and taped to the first, with the wing tube in place. Just finishing up the pushrods, etc and it will be ready to glue it together.

Paul
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:36 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,109 Posts
Looking really nice, can I ask where did you get the wing tube from? I always seem to struggle finding suitable tubes and sockets, last set I bought the fit was so bad I couldnt use it.

What dihedral does this kit have, the tube itself doesnt seem too long does the entire wing remove complete with motor nacelle.

Loving the progress of the three builds keep it up
Ken
heli_madken is offline Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:51 AM
Owen Sound, Ontario
Joined Jan 2006
65 Posts
Wing tubes came from Tnt Landing Gear Products, is USA. They sell almost every size of tube imaginable complete with cardboard covers.

Each wing will be one piece. Can't remember the dihedral off hand but it is built into the wing tube holes in the wing.

The tube is set up to transfer its load to the wing spar, so it doesn't have to be very long. This setup should be plenty strong for scale flight. I don't anticipate us getting into doing snap rolls or blenders!

Paul
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,773 Posts
H i heli: Dihedral is 2 1/2 degree on each wing. If you look back to post #93, you will see a pic of wing (1st) that shows the wing tube going thru the first 3 ribs and finally into the 1/4" rib at the nacelle. Thats 7 3/4" into the wing on each side. Each rib is reinforced with 1/8th lite ply while the final mount at the nacelle is 1/4" epoxied to the former.
I've not been feeling the best for a week or so, "fall blues" maybe, but have been trying to around some wiring issues. I have the aileron servo and flap servo installed, despite what looks like lots of room, it get pretty tight.
Building the nacelle around the LG linkage is going to prove to be challenge as well. I\ll post some pics when I have something worth showing, Doug B
Last edited by Doug Bartley; Nov 13, 2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: changes
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:25 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,414 Posts
I've been looking for any signs of provision for wiring - and seen none... did I mention that I use DIN plugs these days for all radio wires... more robust that D9s and a bit more tollerant of slight inaccuracies in building (a major reason for MY using them!)? For the larger models I run a common red and black pair and separate signal wires for each servo so that two servos in a wing only uses 4-way plug and socket and a 5-way allows for either an extra servo or nav lights.

The same can be done for power wires to ESCs by paired bullets set in the fus sides.
I also don't run the power leads through the Rx but bypass it so there's no risk of overload in the Rx.
It works well and means everything plugs in ready to go as the wing is slotted in place.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:19 PM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
I'm about to try a link to the wheels eye4wings is looking at. Here goes
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mbly_2pc_.html
ken.robinson is offline Find More Posts by ken.robinson
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:25 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
I've been looking for any signs of provision for wiring - and seen none... did I mention that I use DIN plugs these days for all radio wires... more robust that D9s and a bit more tollerant of slight inaccuracies in building (a major reason for MY using them!)? For the larger models I run a common red and black pair and separate signal wires for each servo so that two servos in a wing only uses 4-way plug and socket and a 5-way allows for either an extra servo or nav lights.

The same can be done for power wires to ESCs by paired bullets set in the fus sides.
I also don't run the power leads through the Rx but bypass it so there's no risk of overload in the Rx.
It works well and means everything plugs in ready to go as the wing is slotted in place.
Its all done by microwave -hehe!! Just kidding. I was just at Ken's today to discuss theissue. Wiring will come thru just in front of wing tube from the esc's to battery. All other wiring will come thru at wing centre for easy acces to rx. behind the wing tube.By tomorrow, I should have a pic! I had everything coming thru in front of the tube, then found there simply isn't room. I wanted to keep the esc/ battery wires away from rx and servo to avoid interference. Doug B