HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:26 PM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105 View Post
For the bomber, may I suggest a Mk.XVI from 692 Sqn, P3-A "Moncton Express III"? The RCAF crew (both from Moncton) were awarded the DFC for a mining operation in October 1944.

Can't find any colour photos, best I can scrounge are pics of the 1:32 scale replica Corgi produced a few years ago (wish I'd know at the time!):

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CG-AA34601
CF105

Thanks for the photo of the RCAF Mosquito. I will try to find more information. Looks like a likely candidate for my bomber version.

Ken
ken.robinson is offline Find More Posts by ken.robinson
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:27 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
391 Posts
eye4wings - thanks. These can definately be pigs at higher weights.

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
Glad to see you haven't sanded the tip blocks yet Doug - that's where a lot of washout can be included.
Not only can it be a lifesaver when on the landing approach, but it help (along with any down-thrust applied to the motors) to reduce the barreliness of the model when in the inverted stage of the roll.

Don't try a three-point landing without it!

Another effect that I noted in early stages of testing was that the nose pitched DOWNWARDS when flaps were lowered. This was a bit of a surprise so when we had a speaker at the club who had been a Pathfinder pilot I asked him about this and he confirmed that this was what the Mosquito did.
Hi eye4wings: The wing tips are drawn with almost a stahl tip, washout is built into the wing, I'm guessing about 3 degrees. Test for flap will be done way up high!!! All parties have radio capable of flap/elevator mix, most of my flaps included planes have needed down elevator mixed with flap. The one exception in my Twin Otter, it does require down ele/flap at half flap, but requires UP ele/flap mix for full flaps. One never knows -hehe. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
149 Posts
For what it is worth, the bomber version that has just finished restoration in New Zealand has had it's maiden and demonstration flights in the last 3 weeks. Looks and sounds magnificent.
I believe it is off to the states finally.
There is a site about the restoration in Ardmore NZ. I haven't got the URL.
KIWINB is offline Find More Posts by KIWINB
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:24 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,436 Posts
Doug, I didn't apply any flap/elevator mix. The nose down pitch was just enough to put the nose down to ensure that flying speed was maintained during approach.

I didn't ask our speaker if he re-trimmed elevator for flap down.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:37 AM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,802 Posts
This is some great building!
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:55 AM
Owen Sound, Ontario
Joined Jan 2006
66 Posts
spinner update

Made a mold for the spinner. The good news is the plug popped right out, no problem. The mold is ok, but it has flaws as a result of air bubbles. I chose to use fiberglass matt to mold it and it just couldn’t handle the compound curves. I will try another mold using lighter cloth.
Paulofthenorth is offline Find More Posts by Paulofthenorth
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:22 AM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
Here are my latest photos. Captions should explain where we are. I have decided on a bomber version. The Moncton Express III suggested by 104 looks great, but I would have to model the larger bomb bay, add an turbo/supercharger air intake and create individual exhaust ports. I found another Mosquito (B Mk IV DZ476/XD-S) flown by RCAF Flt. Lt. Rennie from the 139 Sqn. It has standard bomb bay, smooth bottomed (no scoop) cowl and one piece exhaust cover. I would really like to add invasion stripes. Does anyone know when they were added and to what types. Would it be possible that this model would eventually have the stripes?

Ken
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:03 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
Doug, I didn't apply any flap/elevator mix. The nose down pitch was just enough to put the nose down to ensure that flying speed was maintained during approach.

I didn't ask our speaker if he re-trimmed elevator for flap down.
We won;t know if it needs flap/ elev mix until someone tries it! I like my plane to maintain level flight and just slow down on half flap, while full flap get the nose down. Thats just me. First flights in spring will determine settings. We're a ways off from that yet - hehe. Doug
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:54 PM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
It doesn't look like I accomplished much today. Lots of thinking, cutting and fitting to get the hatch framed and cut from the main fuselage. If all goes well I hope to start sheeting the fuselage tomorrow.

Ken
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:27 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
149 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kUU7hBGy0lk
This is one of the links to the Mossie rebuilt in Auckland NZ. Mossie plus Spitfire, Mustang and P40. Several other videos in there also.

Kevin
KIWINB is offline Find More Posts by KIWINB
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:07 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,790 Posts
Hi KIWINB: Thanks for the links, I've been watching them prepare the Mossie for the last couple of months. I must confess I haven't looked for a couple of weeks, but did know they where close to being ready to ship it.
For me, the strangest part is it basically built much the same way as our Mosquitos are being done. At the time, it confounded everyone with its laminated ply and "balsa" construction. I've watched several videos of the process, some of it is quite close to our methods. The Mosquitos performance has never left any doubt with anyone.
I guess time proved that the structure itself wouldn't last forever, building a new one shows the skills of the NZ boys. I know we'll all do our best to build good representations of an airplane with this unique heritance.
There is another build about to start on a real Mosquito in Calgary Alberta, Canada. apparently there is a Mosquito in another town (forget) on an outside pedestal that is to be rebuilt, but unfortunately not to flying statis. It will eventually be put on display at the Calgary Air Museum. fwiw Doug B
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,002 Posts
Speechless...........

Great job.......

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:49 PM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
I thought I'd be a lot further along with the sheeting as I spent all day on it. Preparation for the actual sheeting job took longer than expected. Whoever posted the method of marking the cut line on the back of the sheeting by using powdered chaulk on the edge of the previous sheet get's a big thank-you from me.

Ken
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:54 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,790 Posts
Hi Dag: Coming from you, thanks a million> you've made my day. The three of us are working as a team, excuse me, that was upgraded to consortium -hehe. We are all working hard to have a flight formation of Mossy's.
Its a new technique for all, but we get along great together, and work from each others strengths. Its working very well!! We all look forward to seeing each others progress, have meetings for dicussions, its a blast.
I've checked in (everyday) on your progress on the B36 and EmmaselleII, wouldn't miss it for anything. I look forward to seeing more. Doug B