Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:01 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras View Post
Was that a cattle prod or a gentle prod ...
When someone else can see the way, and you can't, it sometimes takes more than gentle push!!!! Hehe.
Robin's persistance has proved extremely fruitful. I picked up some 1/4" diam springs today. It has already been installed and works perfect! The servo load will be drastically reduced, the fear of a collapse of the LG without power has vanished!!
Now to make 5 more pieces and convince the other 2 builders to make the changes.
My bggest concern has always been the possibility of the LG collapsing with no power on, that is eleiminated, much to Robins insistance that there had to be a way to fit a spring assist.
Thanks for looking in Dangaras, and thank you Robin for pushing the learning buttons, hehe. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:14 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
Whichever it was it seems to have been prod-uctive Dangaras (groan!)

I've just posted my promised video on the Caribou gear-shortening onto You Tube for those of you interested in seeing what can be achieved using very limited tooling.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...411598&page=13
Thanks again Robin for not backing off! I'm using a 1/4" diameter x 1 1/2" long x .035 wire spring. upside down or right side up, it holds the LG in position without a servo!! The std servos I used orignally will now work with very little load, only at centre arc will there be any real load and only for 5-10 degrees. Holding pressure on the servo at both ends can be drastically reduced. I beat on the unit trying to get it fold, and it wouldn't. I will now install a servo and work the system, fine tuning the servo adjustments. Doug B
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:16 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,206 Posts
No probs. Happy it is solved, I was starting to feel the frustration from here...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:19 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
Thanks again Robin for not backing off! I'm using a 1/4" diameter x 1 1/2" long x .035 wire spring. upside down or right side up, it holds the LG in position without a servo!! The std servos I used orignally will now work with very little load, only at centre arc will there be any real load and only for 5-10 degrees. Holding pressure on the servo at both ends can be drastically reduced. I beat on the unit trying to get it fold, and it wouldn't. I will now install a servo and work the system, fine tuning the servo adjustments. Doug B
Doug could you post some photos or video of your new set up please this will be very helpful to me as well as others building this plane.

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:30 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,759 Posts
Quote:
No probs. Happy it is solved, I was starting to feel the frustration from here...
You should have been here to feel it!! I felt like I was travelling in circles Doug B
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:34 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,206 Posts
Dealing with that myself. Feels like I am chewing off my own toes at times... Time for another beverage.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:59 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
Doug could you post some photos or video of your new set up please this will be very helpful to me as well as others building this plane.

Bruce
I am going to try to get the servo re-installed tonite and test.
If I can't arrange a video, I'll certainly take some pic's and post them. Doug B
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:20 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,759 Posts
Well, the issues are not all solved yet. I installed the original servo, an HXT 12, at 10kgs torque (supposedly) with the new .035 spring, it was incapable of even moving LG. I retried the lighter spring. which it handled without issue. except the spring really doesn't have the tension to guarantee a lock with the power off.
I then stretched the .035 spring approx 1/4" longer. It would lift the LG while the wing was upside down. With the wing right side up it works fine and provides a definite lock with power off.
So I'll wait for the new servos to come, they are rated much higher. For my satisfaction, the system has to work in any position, and stay locked up or down with or without power. The plot continues!!!
Thats it for a few days, I'm going to work on my Harley for awhile. Doug B
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:22 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Dealing with that myself. Feels like I am chewing off my own toes at times... Time for another beverage.
I know the feeling, can't even convince myself a beverage would help. See last post Doug B
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:43 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
465 Posts
I thought you fixxec that poor Harley Doug.
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:47 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
Well, the issues are not all solved yet. I installed the original servo, an HXT 12, at 10kgs torque (supposedly) with the new .035 spring, it was incapable of even moving LG. I retried the lighter spring. which it handled without issue. except the spring really doesn't have the tension to guarantee a lock with the power off.
I then stretched the .035 spring approx 1/4" longer. It would lift the LG while the wing was upside down. With the wing right side up it works fine and provides a definite lock with power off.
So I'll wait for the new servos to come, they are rated much higher. For my satisfaction, the system has to work in any position, and stay locked up or down with or without power. The plot continues!!!
Thats it for a few days, I'm going to work on my Harley for awhile. Doug B
There's always a bit of fiddling about getting the right amount of spring applied Doug. There's no way I could calculate something like that!

I take any broken bit of machinery apart to rescue any springs or other bits that might come in useful someday - so I have a tray or two of used springs to draw from. Small DC motors - and gears - are always likely to come in handy too!

After they've seen the last few pages I don't think you'll have any difficulty convincing the others to make the changes do you? Especially after you've made the new bits for them!

Have fun on the Harley... they say a change is as good as a rest... but I thought you had it fixed back last December too.
eye4wings is online now Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:18 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,193 Posts
Doug...It's always good to walk away for awhile and do something else and you'll come back w/ fresh eyes and thoughts and a simple answer.

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:54 AM
Owen Sound, Ontario
Joined Jan 2006
65 Posts
I think we should change the name of this thread to "Doug's Excellent & Sometimes Frustrating Adventure"

I've been through a minor crisis in the last day. Having covered the flaps I installed the first. In spite of hours of fitting, once is was glued in place, it just wasn't fitting right. So I cut the hinges (Robarts), drilled them out and went through the fitting process again. Much better now!

Again, this project isn't for those who need quick results.
Paulofthenorth is online now Find More Posts by Paulofthenorth
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:33 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt62 View Post
I thought you fixxec that poor Harley Doug.
I pulled the rear fender to install a wiring tube in early Jan. Went to check on it progress last week, nothing done yet. Arranged and prepaid last Oct I had been trying to find a small oil leak in the primary case area for weeks. An on and off again senerio. Decided to tear it down, found the oil leaking thru a bolt connection, simple enough fix, will locktite the bolt and use a copper washer to seal the hole!!
Way too cold and WAY too much snow here to consider riding, but I'd still like to get her done and ready! I do not want to be in the shop working on her when I should be out terrorizing the neighbourhood. hehe. Doug B