HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:10 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
The piano wire loses a considerable amount of spring and strength when they chrome plate it!! I'd use one size larger wire, drill out the retract mount, double up the setscrews.
I've looked at your build, honestly don't think you'd be happy trying to get a set like ours in there. The entire wing structure would have to be gutted to the top sheet, all cross ribs removed back to the front of flaps, then all reinforced down the sides with ply to regain its strength. Not sure even then if the nacelles are deep enough. they look shallower than true scale. fwiw Doug B
Ah darn. I cant go up in the wire size because of the retract trunion. Drilling out the trunion might weaken it, that said I can get metal trunions and drill them out...

I surely dont want to be tearing into the wing.... So new plan.....

Thanx
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:08 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Hi Dangaras: Pure unplated piano wire is at least twice as springy as plated. All the plated struts wires I've ever had bent, even on good landings! Going from 3 to 4mm makes a huge difference in overall strength. Changing to metal trunnions sounds like a solid start. Good luck, let us know how you make out. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:13 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,330 Posts
Doug,

thanks. Its in the winter queue...
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:10 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.robinson View Post
Here are some photos showing the gear down locking system.

I have also included a snow scene for the envious ones in the crowd.
Makes for great building weather.

Ken
almost time to scavenge up the tip-ups eh? I dont mind snow and all its related goodies, spent 23 yrs in the "14th" state, the cold dont agree with the poor fingers...
jt
ps stuck many planes and trains together when I wasnt out thrashing the slopes.
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:56 AM
Nelson, B.C.
Joined Jun 2008
150 Posts
Really nice retracts guys.
Finding this thread has rekindled my desire to complete this guy in spite of bad O.A.
All the best
Kim
chumbly is offline Find More Posts by chumbly
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:51 AM
Owen Sound, Ontario
Joined Jan 2006
68 Posts
retracts

Nice video Ken.

My first retract is now installed and working! Thanks Doug for all your great workmanship on these units.

Paul
Paulofthenorth is offline Find More Posts by Paulofthenorth
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:58 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulofthenorth View Post
Nice video Ken.

My first retract is now installed and working! Thanks Doug for all your great workmanship on these units.

Paul
Thats great!!!. Initially I had to remind myself that when the first gear was set up using the Tx travel adjust to get the proper throws, the second LG has to be set mechanically to duplicate the first. This has to be done this way because we are only using 1 channel on the Tx. This can take time and patience. hehe!
This wouldn't be a problem if you where using 2 channels for LG, but we'd need a 12chTX for that. The biggest thing to watch for is binding in the actual retract mechanism.
I guess I better get off my duff, and get your propeller collets made!! hehe. Doug B
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:00 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,098 Posts
FWIW, you could get digital servos that let you program the end points.

Hyperions are not that expensive.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:28 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
FWIW, you could get digital servos that let you program the end points.

Hyperions are not that expensive.
Whats "not expensive" to you?? 6v, 160oz torque, all metal gears, bearings. This is strictly a budget build. And I have NO budget. hehe. lol Doug B
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:46 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,098 Posts
How long is a rope

I meant inexpensive compared to buying a 12X

DS20SMD, 49 grams, dual ball bearing, metal gear,12.6 kg-cm/175 ounce inches @ 6 volts for $39

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3382

The programmer is $19

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3935
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:17 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Hi pm: I went thru the sites you susggested for the Hyperion. What I saw looks inviting as far as the programming goes. I also saw that these seros use far too many plastic, carbon gears to make me get excited.
I purchased HXT HX12K servos first ( by accident) for $8.99. They are analog, but every gear is brass or steel. They are rated at 10kg. I did all the testing with one of these on my LG jig. It stood up very well, even tho it was being loaded to the max. Last night I disassembled one tho have a look. I found no wear I could detect, this sero has cycled at least 200 times, testing all 6 LG's on the jig.
I decided to go to a little stronger servo, ended up picking HD power 1201's. Same robust construction, all metal gears, 12.2kgs torque and $9.99 at HK.
Time will tell if I made a good choice or screwed up. Thats the economy I have to live with, so fingers crossed. hehe Doug B
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:05 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Sorry guys for no recent posts. I had to set my Mossy aside for a couple of days to get some things done for the consortium!!
I made up a set of motor mounts for Kens, plus two aluminum wing bolts. Then Paul needed a pair of custom propeller collets, made from steel, and attached with set screws. Ialso got up a set of aluminum wing bolts for his unit.
Paul brought his Scorpion motor to out Sat meeting, so I could take it home and measure for standoffs. The prop collets needed a little adjustment on length, and made somewhat lighter. I managed to reduce the weight by 1/2oz each. Pauls standoffs are now completed.
Today, I installed the ailerons on my Mossy, set up the plane, made a 3-1 connector for the LG. I did a rough check on the CG, looks like the main battery will balance the plane with no lead!!
I'm now reinstalling the nacelles as I'd forgotten to locktite the motor mount bolts!
I got confirmation this afternoon that my graphics from Callies' will be shipped tomorrow! That girl is fast, I just paid the order at noon. Pics to follow soon, or maybe a video if I can talk one of the members of this group to help. Doug B
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:22 AM
Owen Sound, Ontario
Joined Jan 2006
68 Posts
Doug,

Great news on the balance point.

I now have both of the main gear installed and working!

Switched to building the fin and rudder for a change of pace.

Paul
Paulofthenorth is offline Find More Posts by Paulofthenorth
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:35 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
848 Posts
too fast ???

Dehavilland Mosquito by Dave Grife (3 min 30 sec)

-DG
Dave Grife is offline Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:20 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Hi Dave: Your Mossy flies beautifully!! I do have a bunch of questions if you don't mind.
Whats the AUW? Which motors, what kv and # of cells? What size and brand of props?
It looks like mine will come out at 15.25lbs RTF. I'll be running 16/10/3 MAS props to start, but may switch to EMP 16/8/3 if I feel I can live with the airspeed.
All thats left to do is the fiberglass spinners and the exhaust cowls. I'll be testing the circuits over the next few days, and will make an attempt to video the workings. Here's acouple of pics to hold you all in the meantime.
Paul was over tonite to pick up his motor standoffs and collets. He thinks it looks a lot like a DH98 mosquito!!hehe cool! Doug B