HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:24 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,433 Posts
I can see the logic of using the shorter cowl as opposed to two longer and unequally sided one - or even separate inner and outer sides in both hands.

Personally I have gone off doing add-on cowls at all as I use the motors reversed these days so that the rotating body is behind the fixing wall. This leaves so little actual cowl that it is far simpler to build the whole thing up in balsa and use it structurally throughout. Saves weight and complexity - and I just hate the mess if you have the misfortune to damage a cowl in a mis-timed arrival!

I guess my solution is less obvious though when you're adapting plans drawn for oilies.
Have you still got an internal motor box built forward from the wing structure?

And I am assuming that you are all planning to have the batteries and ESCs in the nacelles together (partly to cut down on the strength required in the wing joiners).
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:44 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade View Post
Very nice undercarriage
Which version are you modelling? i.e. guns or dome in the nose?
I'll be doing my Mosquito up in Night Fighter colors gree/brown top and black bottom Doug
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:52 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
I can see the logic of using the shorter cowl as opposed to two longer and unequally sided one - or even separate inner and outer sides in both hands.

Personally I have gone off doing add-on cowls at all as I use the motors reversed these days so that the rotating body is behind the fixing wall. This leaves so little actual cowl that it is far simpler to build the whole thing up in balsa and use it structurally throughout. Saves weight and complexity - and I just hate the mess if you have the misfortune to damage a cowl in a mis-timed arrival!

I guess my solution is less obvious though when you're adapting plans drawn for oilies.

And I am assuming that you are all planning to have the batteries and ESCs in the nacelles together (partly to cut down on the strength required in the wing joiners).
We discussed the cowl issue at length, finally deciding the access was more important . The existing 1/4" firewall for fuelly's is to be cut down, lightened and used as the motor base. The motors themselves will be mounted on aluminum spacers approx 2"long. I'm sure we couldn't build the structure out of balsa and keep the weight to the 3.1oz of the nice cowls has made. We are working hard at keeping the weight down to the 13lbs, 10oz on the plan. The builds I've seen are from 15 to 20 lbs to date. Doug B
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:31 PM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
I'll be doing my Mosquito up in Night Fighter colors gree/brown top and black bottom Doug
Cool But I hope someone does a bomber version in a suitable Pathfinder squadron colours Will hopefully do one myself one day...
awmeade is offline Find More Posts by awmeade
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:07 PM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post

Plan is to have the batteries in the forward section of the main fuselage. The esc's will be mounted in the radiator housing with lots of air flow. When we get on a little further you will see the fuselage box that will house the flight batteries, radio gear, servos and be the backbone for the carbon wing tube.
ken.robinson is offline Find More Posts by ken.robinson
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:10 PM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
I'm heading to the shop to lay up the last cowl. Doug was just here discussing wing dihedral. He's started the wing and is anxious to mount one of his landing gear units for trial test.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:50 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
The actual servo mounting location has been determined, I need to build into the wing the servo mounting blocks, likely 1/4 ply. The servo itself will be mounted on custom aluminum angles to allow placement in from the bottom.
Its really wonderful to have two partners to dicuss the build with, greatly helping in solving issues. With all the mods to the wing/central section, I\m being very cautious to get it right, I hate redos!! Doug B
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:58 PM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,433 Posts
Well guys you're certainly moving along!
Looking forward to seeing the real balsa bashing under way.

So one Night Fighter (flat screen cockpit) spoken for. Any bombers with the different cockpit?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:31 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Hi eye4wings: Since there where something like 27 variations, and countless mods to these planes in real life, it hard to pick any specific plane. The only cowl available is the split screen, so mods are in order to make a flat screen. It also looks like the flat screen where all early versions. The Mosquito was so adaptable to so many rolls, and changes where made along the assly lines, either upgrades or additions. In 4 yrs they managed to mfg something like 7600 Mossy's. Still one of the marvels of the air, then and now.
I have a wing built up almost, pics sometime tomorrow. Doug B
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:16 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
391 Posts
There are a bunch of us over in the Fuel Warbird Forum that are in the process of building these or have already finished our BT Mossies. Here are a few threads - might help with ideas or tips.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1557631 Bruce's Build - in progress

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1732142 Peter's Build - flying

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1687449 My Refurb - flying

Also there are another 3 or 4 piggybacking on Bruce's thread that are in the process of building. Enjoy the build and enjoy flying them - they are a joy to fly. Have a few videos on Youtube - look up Rob Mason Mosquito to see them.

Would like to get as many as possible down to Joe Noll next year. It would be neat to have an all Mosquito flight.

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:21 AM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post

Would like to get as many as possible down to Joe Noll next year. It would be neat to have an all Mosquito flight.

Rob
What/where is Joe Noll?

Ken
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:45 AM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,433 Posts
Try Joe Nall!... typo I believe.

The dates for the 2013 Joe Nall are: May 11th - May 18th, 2013!
Gates open at 5:00pm May 10th.
AMA membership and pilot registration, will be all that is required to fly on all flight lines at Joe Nall 2013.
The Classic and 3D flight lines will still have size restrictions.
80" mono, 65" Biplanes, 1/4 scale or larger
(Other countries RC flying organizations recognized)

http://weekwww.joenall.com/index.htm
Last edited by eye4wings; Oct 24, 2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Details added
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:31 AM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
391 Posts
Yep - sorry about the typo.

The largest R/C fly in - in the world. Sort of like Oskosh or the Paris Airshow for R/C. Just south of Greenville, South Carolina. The facilities are unbelievable. They just had an electric event there a few weeks ago.

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:48 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
As promised here's couple of pics of the left wing fab. Its just about ready to come off the board. A lot of carving to do on bottom!!
I've watched the proceedings at Joe Nall for several years thru the wonderful world of the internet!! Fabulous flying in a "green" envoirnment.
Since I move my planes with a trailer pulled by my Harley, going to NC this time of year is out!! hehe.
how many events a year there?
Thanks Rob for the leads to the other builds, I'm sure they be checked out by all three of us here. I went thru sphinter25 complete thread a couple of weeks ago. Gotta go, the build awaits. Doug B
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:15 PM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade View Post
Cool But I hope someone does a bomber version in a suitable Pathfinder squadron colours Will hopefully do one myself one day...
I wouldn't mind doing a bomber version, but don't know how I would handle the view through the clear nose. Have a look at the fuselage that I am posting.

Ken