HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:56 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,741 Posts
I've been watching this beast much of the day - what a stirring sound - two Merlins at 20 feet off the deck - very inspiring!
Masterton Airshow (NZ) - 3 days of it - yes the Spitfires in the background are flying as well.......
Pat (having lots of fun in New Zealand)
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:51 AM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
First landing gear installed and operational. Not only operational, fantastic!!!!
Doug, I have a couple of questions (could have phoned you but thought it should be on the record): When the gear is down, will there always be a load on the UBec and battery?
When I have the gear down, everything off, power up the transmitter then the receiver, the gear slaps into the up position and then the down. Could be embarrassing if the plane is sitting on its gear at the time of power up. Do you have a solution or is yours the same?
On to the installation of the next gear. I've lost one of the nuts you provided, 3mm? for the button head that holds the pushrod on. Do you have more?

Ken
ken.robinson is offline Find More Posts by ken.robinson
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:30 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.robinson View Post
First landing gear installed and operational. Not only operational, fantastic!!!!
Doug, I have a couple of questions (could have phoned you but thought it should be on the record): When the gear is down, will there always be a load on the UBec and battery?
When I have the gear down, everything off, power up the transmitter then the receiver, the gear slaps into the up position and then the down. Could be embarrassing if the plane is sitting on its gear at the time of power up. Do you have a solution or is yours the same?
On to the installation of the next gear. I've lost one of the nuts you provided, 3mm? for the button head that holds the pushrod on. Do you have more?

Ken
As long as the gear is all the way down and the arms are past centre, there appears to be no load on the servo, hence no load on the Ubec or its battery. If you adjusted the push rod and servo adjustment to get no servo hum with the arms locked, we should be fine. The load is on the past centre arms.
You will have to set your Failsafe in order to stop the cycling upon power up. Mine did the same. Once I had everything hooked up I also rebound the Rx with everything in the positions I wanted ( all servos neutral except gear which is up for transport. I turn on the Ubec first, then the Tx. The main motor battery is not plugged in,the esc's are not powered. With the Rx powered and bound first there can be no surprises!
Finally, I do have some 3mm nuts, I'll bring you a couple tomorrow! Little devils are easy to lose, not so easy to find, been there - hehe. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Last edited by Doug Bartley; Jan 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: correction
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:28 AM
Owen Sound, Ontario
Joined Jan 2006
65 Posts
Progress

Doug and Ken,

Great looking progress. Well done!

I am just finishing up my second set of flaps. Ailerons are finished. I will be on to installing the motor/gear mounts in the next day or two.

I am also making progress on the spinner plug. Sanding and filling is done. I am building up layers of paint before the final sanding begins.

Paul
Paulofthenorth is offline Find More Posts by Paulofthenorth
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:04 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,771 Posts
Hey Ken/Paul: Its great to hear your both progressing with the Mossy's.
Asmentioned I have the fuselage covered, wheew!! First time I've used Monocote since '81, struggling somewhat to get it down. It simply doesn't stretch as easily as Ultra!!
I made three attempts to cover the upper tailpiece with Mono, endedup getting totally frustrated, and using Ultra. 15 minutes later, done.
I have to glue that tailpiece in place, then fuse is ready to come off the table for now. On to covering the wings! Doug B
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:42 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,192 Posts
Looks great Doug!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:59 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Looks great Doug!

J
Thanks J!! By the time I finish installing the Monocote, maybe I'll have figured out how to make it work!
Its possible the water based clear I put on the balsa has some impact here too, as it sometimes takes two tries to get it stuck down.
I started on the right wing this afternoon, so far the flat surfaces are going better. This stuff likes a hot iron. The real test will be the curved nacelles, and LG doors.
The whole plane get painted eventually in flat colors so I'm hoping to hide the little wrinkles. hehe Doug B
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:22 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,409 Posts
Wrinkles?... I see no wrinkles!
Looks great to me!

There's always that subtractive technology called 'sandpaper' I suppose!
Or maybe judicious application of heat gun?
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:30 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
Wrinkles?... I see no wrinkles!
Looks great to me!

There's always that subtractive technology called 'sandpaper' I suppose!
Or maybe judicious application of heat gun?
Hi Robin! Thanks for not seeing the wrinkles. I guarantee there are some there-hehe. Part of the my problem is coming from a Top FliteTrim Iron that is not staying hot. It works good then stops, I find the temp has gone down, wiggle the plug amd away it goes again, for a while. The Hanger9 heating iron works good on flat surfaces, it layed the Mono down nice on the wing half so far. I find the Mono much harder to stretch than Ultra, especially on small parts where you can't get real solid pull without fear of breaking it.
I'll " get er done", and be glad when it is. Doug B
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:29 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,108 Posts
Looks fantastic Doug, Covering with film is something I just cant do and avoid like the plague so greatest respect here!!
heli_madken is offline Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:52 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,409 Posts
Doug, that sounds like your iron either has a dodgy thermostat (perhaps a charred spot caused by arcing) or could use a checkover of the plug (loose wire? - or maybe chafed conductor inside the plastic which wants cutting an inch off and re-connecting to the plug).
Five minute's attention ought to sort it.

I normally use Solarfilm for a cheap gloss finish - that expands initially as heat is applied before shrinking back. Pulling the material to fix it down to the balsa can use the expansion phase to get the material round quite marked double curves.

The trouble with materials like this is that once you've got it wrong it's almost impossible to get away without pulling it away again. It really doesn't allow second tries. I don't (or haven't yet) use either of those materials. I imagine they are your favoured covering because they will take paint... er, do they? - Because if they do I may have to give them a try sometime - Solarfilm doesn't offer a good surface for painting and has to be sanded to get a key.. again never successfuly tried that either - made a right mess of it!
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:11 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_madken View Post
Looks fantastic Doug, Covering with film is something I just cant do and avoid like the plague so greatest respect here!!
Hey Ken: None of these platics coverings are what I would call "easy" but the Monocote is definitely more trying than the Ultracote I've been using. Most of it is fine, odd little flaw, paint will hide most (I hope)hehe. Doug B
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:18 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
Doug, that sounds like your iron either has a dodgy thermostat (perhaps a charred spot caused by arcing) or could use a checkover of the plug (loose wire? - or maybe chafed conductor inside the plastic which wants cutting an inch off and re-connecting to the plug).
Five minute's attention ought to sort it.

I normally use Solarfilm for a cheap gloss finish - that expands initially as heat is applied before shrinking back. Pulling the material to fix it down to the balsa can use the expansion phase to get the material round quite marked double curves.

The trouble with materials like this is that once you've got it wrong it's almost impossible to get away without pulling it away again. It really doesn't allow second tries. I don't (or haven't yet) use either of those materials. I imagine they are your favoured covering because they will take paint... er, do they? - Because if they do I may have to give them a try sometime - Solarfilm doesn't offer a good surface for painting and has to be sanded to get a key.. again never successfuly tried that either - made a right mess of it!
I'm beginning to believe the fault is in the high-low switch, it heats right up, then goes cold. Flipping the switch back and forth seems to get it going again most times. I need the high/low settings, so maybe time to unlock the wallet and get a new trim iron.
We all decided on Monocote due to the flat finish that should adhere to paint better than the shiny stuff. The shiny stuff has to be sanded with 400grit to remove the shine before paint sticks well. Paul and Ken's plane have a fair amount of grey color so may save them some paint. Doug B
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:48 PM
Nelson, B.C.
Joined Jun 2008
150 Posts
Excellent build Doug. I really like your undercarriage. Would it be possible to get a video of them operating? Am expecting great flight performance based on your building skill.

Kim
chumbly is offline Find More Posts by chumbly
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:38 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,771 Posts
Hi chumbly: Thanks for the vote of confidence! I spent a couple of hours with Ken on his Mossy yesterday, working thru the retracts.
We discussed that subject too. Neither of us knew how to go about it. Paul is an avid photographer, I will talk to him about getting a video done on the LG. I'm pretty sure he know how, it just time conflicts.
I seem to have a bug again, not doing much today. I have the RW covered except for the nacelle doors, hoping to get that done today. Doug B