HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:27 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Hi jpt62: Sorry to disappoint you, but you are mistaken, the pilot sits on the left facing the front, the navigator sits on the right. Any actual photo of the real plane reveals this. In fact, all pilots of real planes around the world, sit on the left, co pilots sit on the right. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:33 AM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
473 Posts
True.. now to get them to drive their autos the same way...
jt
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:58 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,429 Posts
Can't have that, what??! Join Jonnie foreigner driving on the wrong side?... we British pride ourselves in our eccentricities!..

Like still using three words that sound the same but are spelled differently and Americans find to be two too many to remember when writing...
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:53 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
473 Posts
want fun?? try driving a '60 Rolls RHD over here on the "wrong" side of the road...
jt who still thinks those pesky brits should drive like they fly...
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:10 PM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,429 Posts
Seems to me we only fly the way we do because of the French anyway...
No doubt thanks to mr Bleriot et al.
You can thank the French for things like 'fuselage' 'empennage' 'avionics' and so on too.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:30 PM
Life is good but best flying.
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Jun 2009
5 Posts
Formation Flying Mosquitos

Congratulations Paul, Ken and Doug. You are being quite
innovative. That is one of the rewards of this hobby that you all enjoy. Your consortium is a real talent pool of special skills. I look forward to further progress reports and then especially the spring maiden flight. Maybe you would consider coming to Kingston this summer for a demo at our Warbirds fun fly?

Jim Robins
Kingston RC Modellers
James Robins is offline Find More Posts by James Robins
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:48 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Hi JIM: Thanks for looking in on the builds. I don't know about travelling to Kingston with my trailer, the idea of travelling on the #401 makes me nervous. They will be here for our annual Funfly on July 15/13.
I was just notified that the Mosquito built in New Zealand will be flying in the Hamilton Airshow June 15/16, along with a real Spitfire, Hawker \Hurricane and of course the famous Lancaster.
On top of that a DH Buffalo will be on static display. I'm planning on attending!!!
Completed the shortened bombay last night, pics to follow later today! Doug B
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:36 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
I started sheeting in the bottom section, actually I've planked it. made up 4 fiberglass tubes, installed them into lower fuse for cannons. The trick of using blue chalk to mark the cut lines to fit sheeting worked excellent. It will always be in my build methods from now on, makes the job far easier. Thanks Ken!
I had said I would include some pics of the new bombay, so here's the latest. I still have to do some final finishing inside, decided to leave it until sheeting is done. That uses up all 9 channels, so no bomb drop, I'll hang acouple in there to look the part. Doug B
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:51 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Another milestone passed, fuselage skinned to the point to test the wing fit. I used a combo of sheeting and planking to get the sheeting done, again the tip of using chalk line powder saved all kinds of time hand fitting.
Except for a tiny but of trimming on the port wing,everything dropped into place really well. Now, in my eyes, it looks like a DH Mosquito!!!
I will make up the machine guns and cannons next, just to get a break from ungluing my fingers from the plane =hehe. I will leave them loose until the covering is done.
I can also drill out the wing bolt and pin mounts now, I've made a pair of aluminum 1/4-20 bolts with knurled heads to tighten up the wing. 1/4" hardwood dowel will supply the anti-rotational pins.
I now think I can glue in the pilots, radio in the cockpit too. Doug B
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:11 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,301 Posts
Sweet!
Looks great. Always nice to get to this part of a build, isn't it.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:34 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Hi J: It is truly a huge step to set things together for the first time. Its even better when it all fits!! This build is one of the longest I've ever attempted, I started back in Sept/12!!
It was such a bear to asssemble on the bench, I decided to make front and rear stands tonite to hold the plane. I will need them anyway for transport and assembly at the field. The stands will be of great use when I do the final setups on electrics as well.
My workbench is not wide enough to set the plane up with the landing gear down. The stands will allow me to work the LG on the bench without fear of the plane falling (I'd cry).
Thanks J for looking in.
We are to be blessed with an upcoming airshow here in S Ontario, June 15. They will have the only flying Mosquito to my knowledge (the one built in NZ) there for 1 1/2 days. it will fly with a Lancaster, a Spitfire and possibly a Hawker Hurricane. Check out the ads for the Hamilton Airshow. Doug B
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:03 AM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,429 Posts
Doug, d'you know it looks just like a Mosquito to me too? I'm sure that can't be just a coincidence!

I actually think the Mosquito's clean lines put it up there with the Spitfire in the beauty stakes - if not slightly ahead in the early marks (I was never quite sure about the Spitfire's fin until it started getting more area to it).

The thing that next leaps out at me is how big those spinners are. For the larger model those can be a major expense - and I applaud your team making your own. And making your own (+2 other) sets of main gear took some time too... but if that seems a long build time to you just think how I felt as my Stirling dragged on to nine months and more. But honestly we don't ever seriously think of giving up on our models do we? The challenge actually keeps us fired up.

Your work looks great!
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:16 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,121 Posts
Fantastic Doug, I too love the lines of the Mosquito, one of my favourite all time planes. It always strikes me that it looks as though it is flying really fast even when its sitting on the ground and your model captures that sleek appearance beautifully.

Cant wait to see it fly

Ken
heli_madken is offline Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:17 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
Doug, d'you know it looks just like a Mosquito to me too? I'm sure that can't be just a coincidence!

I actually think the Mosquito's clean lines put it up there with the Spitfire in the beauty stakes - if not slightly ahead in the early marks (I was never quite sure about the Spitfire's fin until it started getting more area to it).

The thing that next leaps out at me is how big those spinners are. For the larger model those can be a major expense - and I applaud your team making your own. And making your own (+2 other) sets of main gear took some time too... but if that seems a long build time to you just think how I felt as my Stirling dragged on to nine months and more. But honestly we don't ever seriously think of giving up on our models do we? The challenge actually keeps us fired up.

Your work looks great!
I'm happy that you recognize it as a Mosquito!! hehe.
I too think the plane has some of the prettiest lines in all the air world. Especially a TWIN!! While Ken and Paul wanted bombers with the preplex bombers window, I just had to have the nasty look of machine guns and cannons!! Paul is working on the 4 1/16th inch spinners, they should be a perfect match to the plane. I completed the blue foam stands last night, so I hope that stops the accidental denting of the sheeting, I'm forever setting the plane down on something, a pen, an Exacto etc, and leaving little marks. I hope to get out to the shop today to machine the guns/cannons. Doug B
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:27 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_madken View Post
Fantastic Doug, I too love the lines of the Mosquito, one of my favourite all time planes. It always strikes me that it looks as though it is flying really fast even when its sitting on the ground and your model captures that sleek appearance beautifully.

Cant wait to see it fly

Ken
Hello my friend. The Mossy is truly one of those planes that looks like it was designed to do exactly what it did. It just looks like it can take on the world sitting still or in the air.
The only thing that would make my Mossy better is the 4 cannons firing blanks in rapid succession to duplicate your wonderful setup. That would rock!!!
As noted earlier, I believe the only currently flying Mossquito will be at Hamilton, Ontario on June 15th/13 for a flying display. Its only 125 miles away, I'll be there if I have to walk!!!!
There is still quite a bit of work to do, I feel I've got over the biggest hurdles. I will spend a lot of time with setup on this bird!
I doubt if she will maiden much before May, winter has set in here for the count. Looking forward to seeing your build completed too. Doug B