Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:29 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,704 Posts
Hi eye4wings: Yes, 5 days working 8-12 hrs, no problems, right!!
I dreaded the idea of trying to fit control linkages into this thing after its been skinned.
I have designed a system to allow one servo to operate both the rudder and tail wheel steering, just completed it now (3am) so no pics til tomorrow.
I need to get out to the shop and machine a lower double control arm for this later today.
I will likely make another attempt at my pasty faced pilots with lipstick.
The overbright flash of the camera did not help with their appearance in the least, either. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:07 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,361 Posts
Rock on Doug! Haha...

Having given you a bit of stick on the subject of the men in your Mosquito I thought I'd better own up and show you what a travesty I have just installed in my Fox Moth today so you can have a laugh too...

I disabled flash as soon as I got my digital camera... it complains sometimes but it's normally possible adequately to adjust brightness and contrast in Photoshop.

Robin
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:32 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,704 Posts
Hi Robin: that doesn't look bad to me! Its far better than those hideous comical characters passed off as pilots.
I tried my hand once at carving a figure from foam, you wouldn't want to see the results - hehe!!
I've been working all day on installation of the control rods. I made up the arm I needed for the steering. Everything is ready except the steering cables. I was doing that when Igot called for eats!!
I'll post pics tomorrow Doug B
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:47 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,704 Posts
I succeeded in getting the control linkages installed and servos hooked up in the fuselage.
The split connection to the rudder/ tailwheel steering came out really nice, allowing one servo to do both. Both rudder/ steering and elevator servos are Bluebird BMS 706MG at 75oz torque. The retract servo for tailwheel is a JR NES 507 at 42oz. All are run from 6v.
One pic shows the antenna/ latch installed on the hatch. The Turnigy 8-15 Bec will be installed up against the #1 former, a 2s/1800/ 20c will supply the RX. Rx will go under the wingtube, with short leads to connect.
I made up up 3 hd Y connectors, now I find I need one with 3, a triple Y for the gear channel. Aux 3 will be used for the bombay doors.
Its going to get pretty crowded in there!!! Doug B
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:12 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,704 Posts
A little more progress today. Carved out the nose with placement for the 4 30cal machine guns. The fiberglass tubes will be sanded flush and epoxied in place.
The rest of the day was spent making the fairings for the rear of fuselage. The bottom half is glued into place, I thinking of making the top half removable for access, but it may not be necessary. I believe I ate another pound of balsa dust today!! hehe.
Its a new year, yeah!!!! Doug B
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:58 AM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
464 Posts
Now there is the best spot for blinky lights.... hmmm maybe Orange??
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:56 PM
Canada, ON, Markdale
Joined Nov 2012
45 Posts
Looking good Doug! Happy New Year!!
Rick K. is offline Find More Posts by Rick K.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:53 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,704 Posts
Hi jpt62: No lites on this baby I'm afraid! As a group we considered them, then passed. The other two builder may incorporate additional features, but I've decided to leave well enough alone.
Hi Rick: Thanks for the kind comments, and a Happy New Years to you too!!
Come on up for a visit. I'm covering the elevator assly today, boring, but it needs to be done before install. Doug B
Last edited by Doug Bartley; Jan 01, 2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: add
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
464 Posts
Bummer dude!! Here you have a perfectly functional warbird with no teeth (that look sharp) better paint them orange...
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:09 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,061 Posts
Great looking bones Doug!

J
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:58 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Great looking bones Doug!

J
Thanks a lot J: Coming from you I truly appreciate the kind words. I have to pick up some green chromate paint to do the cockpit, then on to sheeting the fuselage.
I want to add the cannons to the underside of the forward fuse yet. That involves changing the bombay again! I just realized that when they had the cannons, about 1/3 of the bay is sealed for the guns,
It great to see others having a look at the builds. I'm sure Ken and Paul will get their Mossy's moving along now that their busy seasons are over. Doug B
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:00 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario
Joined Jan 2006
61 Posts
Progress?

Hey Doug,

Great looking work. Over xmas I finished the flap and aileron on the first wing. The second will be much faster!

Also finished shaping and sanding the plug for the spinner, Now working on priming and filling.

I've been down with a chest infection for the last few days, so progress is slow, but steady. Keep up the good work!

Paul
Paulofthenorth is offline Find More Posts by Paulofthenorth
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:54 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,704 Posts
Hi Paul: Sorry to here you where under the weather! Hope you are OK now!
Glad to hear you have moved along, the flaps/ ailerons are not particularly fun to deal with. Time is our enemy, never seems to be enough to go around.
Looking forward to seeing the spinners too.
I now have the cockpit area cut out, a floor installed, pilots and radio gear installed, a least as far as I'm willing to go. I'll post some pics later. Doug B
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:20 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,704 Posts
Here's a couple of pic's I promised earlier. I'm finally ready to sheet the fuselage.
Oh yeah, just to prove that everything hasn't gone perfect, I have to open up the wings again to install 1/4-20 blindnuts for the fuselage to wing mounts. I thought at the time the 1/4" ply would be enough. I have since rethought that! I'll make my wingbolts from aluminum. Doug B
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Feb 2012
464 Posts
Doug,
You hve the dudes in the wrong position... The PIC of English aircraft sits on the Right side... like they drive...
jt