HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:42 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,524 Posts
I must be a sucker for punishment, hehe. Despite my initial intent to take a break, I found myself looking to move forward with the build.
The first step was to clear the table, remove wing drawings. Thats all I was going to do!! AS soon as I had the fuselage drawings down aand covered, I decided to pick out the parts.
Here I am three days later with 1/2 a fuselage and a removable hatch wondering how I spent 20-30hrs on this and no work on the motorcycle!!
At one point, I was stumped with the hatch/ wing fitting, I dropped in on Ken R to see his fuselage. As he was expected somewhere else, he simply gave me his fuse and drawings to take home to refer to. Very cool.
Here's the results. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:19 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,592 Posts
More important subject here. The motorcycle can wait, after all it is winter time.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:12 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,524 Posts
Hi J: normally, I wouldn't be fussing about the bike this time of year, but I have committed to having it apart for Jan 1st.
Last summer I encountered a wiring issue inside the rear fender after encountering an unmarked Xcrossing at speed in nowhere N Dakota. I repaired it as best I could there. Later In Calgary, Alta I repaired it back to HD standards. Fate must have been working hard, a few days later, I re-entered N Dakota, only to get clobbered again ( major pothole in the centre line of another wise perfect road) and take out the harness again.
Now I'm installing a steel tube for the wiring (the way it should have been done). Naturally the installation of the tube welding ruins the paint, the painter is waiting for the fender Jan 1st.
Thats my story on the Harley, it has to be ready for another trip in 13'!!
The Mosquito(s) builds will continue, can't put it down yet. hehe Doug B
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:06 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,246 Posts
Know the feeling Doug!
Once into the building frenzy it's hard to stop.
Still building the Fox Moth - which I was supposed to have interrupted before Christmas to put together a musical instrument case I have promised a friend - deadline (self set admittedly) is approaching fast - just got to get this model finished....

Such is addiction!
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:03 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,524 Posts
Hi eye4wings: Unfortunately, I have two addictions, RC and my HarleyDavidson!! Either one can take hold with and not let go.
I was offered a great deal on the HD repaint by doing it this time of year, when my local shop isNOT swamped with work.
The Mosquito has really got into my psychie at the moment,I can't put it down!! Help me.
I will have to force myself away from it for a day very soon - hehe. Doug B
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:10 AM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,246 Posts
Sorry - can't help you!
Addicted to planes myself!

I could 'help' you maybe on the H-D front by saying how high the mortality rate among motor bike riders is compared to cars on our crowded roads over here. It can't all be due to them all apparently being intent on breaking all the laws on the road clearly eagerly hastening to their end.

Of course I do realise the H-D is not really that kind of machine - not over here anyway (and not over there either I suspect). The few H-D owners we see tend to parade their machines - after all if they wanted sheer speed they'd be riding Yamahas, Kawasakis or somesuch like the loonies.

I only had a brief brush with motor bikes in my teens - and felt very exposed and vulnerable... Mind you a big Douglas transverse twin is probably not the kind of beast to learn on!
Anyway I decided I preferred the idea of giving myself the best chance possible of staying alive so learned to drive a car instead. (they need a chicken emoticon here - you'll just have to imagine one!)

So I would encourage your modelling addiction and discourage the other - for the reason that I too would like to see these Mossies up and flying.

Robin
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:40 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,898 Posts
Doug the mosquito looking good so far.As for the m/c thing.I've been on them since I was 7 or 8 yrs old.Had the hd thing too.Now ride a BMW K12RS & Suzuki DR650SE(My mini bike).This is building time now.
stefanP
KOMET 44 is online now Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:04 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
Sorry - can't help you!
Addicted to planes myself!

I could 'help' you maybe on the H-D front by saying how high the mortality rate among motor bike riders is compared to cars on our crowded roads over here. It can't all be due to them all apparently being intent on breaking all the laws on the road clearly eagerly hastening to their end.

Of course I do realise the H-D is not really that kind of machine - not over here anyway (and not over there either I suspect). The few H-D owners we see tend to parade their machines - after all if they wanted sheer speed they'd be riding Yamahas, Kawasakis or somesuch like the loonies.

I only had a brief brush with motor bikes in my teens - and felt very exposed and vulnerable... Mind you a big Douglas transverse twin is probably not the kind of beast to learn on!
Anyway I decided I preferred the idea of giving myself the best chance possible of staying alive so learned to drive a car instead. (they need a chicken emoticon here - you'll just have to imagine one!)

So I would encourage your modelling addiction and discourage the other - for the reason that I too would like to see these Mossies up and flying.

Robin
Maybe its because you all drive on the WRONG side of the road over there - hehe he!!! I've been legally riding for 46yrs. My father's suggestion at 16, "Drive like everyone and everything out there IS out to kill me". Over ONE MILLION miles, still here. I like to go really fast too, but very careful picking the time and place for that. In the early 80's I tried to replace MC's with flying real airplanes, decided I had a much better chance of surviving on terra firma.
I need a ful day to deal with the bike for now for disassembly, after that it can wait while I build my Mossy". Doug B
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:14 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMET 44 View Post
Doug the mosquito looking good so far.As for the m/c thing.I've been on them since I was 7 or 8 yrs old.Had the hd thing too.Now ride a BMW K12RS & Suzuki DR650SE(My mini bike).This is building time now.
stefanP
Hi stefan: I started about 12, went legal at 16 been riding ever since. Like your choices of MC's. I stay away from the dirt tho, but did own a 500 Yamaha single for a short time. I've ridden Yamaha's, Honda's, Kawasaki's then went to my HD Super Glide in 01. It has been transformed from a 56hp, mediocre handling, stopping bus to a 126hp,dual 6 piston caliper brakes, and upgraded suspension that gives 47 mpg at 75 mph, can run with most (155mph). Most fun I can have with my socks on!!! hehe Ride hard, ride safe! Doug B
Last edited by Doug Bartley; Dec 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: add
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
427 Posts
Doug,
I have been eating bugs since '80 and making balsa dust since the late 60's.. As to the Mossi... way too cool dude!! the Harley niccccccccccccce...... Just make sure you dont have issues with the tire smacking the new stuff at full travel on the swing arm..
jt
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:38 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt62 View Post
Doug,
I have been eating bugs since '80 and making balsa dust since the late 60's.. As to the Mossi... way too cool dude!! the Harley niccccccccccccce...... Just make sure you dont have issues with the tire smacking the new stuff at full travel on the swing arm..
jt
Hi JT: I think I've eaten 2 lbs of balsa today!! As for the HD, they where kind enough to hang the wiring on centre with plastic clips! the new setup will be offset to the right afap, in a steel tube. Imay also look into shock donuts to limit overall travel 1/2".
Thanks for the kind words. Doug B
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:12 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
427 Posts
speaking of hoggs...

had to test drive this bad boy.... owner parked it a year or so with gas in the poor carb. should have parked it outdoors in the sun..
jt
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:44 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt62 View Post
had to test drive this bad boy.... owner parked it a year or so with gas in the poor carb. should have parked it outdoors in the sun..
jt
Nice!!!! Doug B
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:09 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,524 Posts
I have successfuly put together the fuselage halves, separated the hatch and bombay doors. Both Ken and Paul sheeted their fuses in halves. I have decided to sheet after I have the tail group installed and hooked up to servos.
The hookup from wheel steering to rudder is a little tricky I think so I want total access.
The fuselage stayed very straight at this point, so sheeting side to side should prevent any twisting. I will make styro blocks that hold the plane down while sheeting.
Here's my 1/8 scale pilots from Pete's Pilots, I'm not the best painter, but think they'll look alright in the canopy. I'll put a mustache on one. Doug B
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:36 AM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,246 Posts
Hey, you're really moving on with that fuselage Doug!

Your pilots have the sort of adrenaline-fuelled expression like they're on a white-knuckle ride - and could lose the lipstick to advantage - but as you say, inside the cockpit they'll be fine.

They're a load more realistic than my own attempt to carve a pilot for my Fox Moth from blue foam. The best that can be said about that is that it was cheap!
(And it does allow me to hook the head up to the rudder servo so it moves in flight like I did for my Zenair.)

Hey, it's all for fun!