HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:38 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulofthenorth View Post
Nice progress on the cowls Doug.

I have my second wing built and both are fitted to the fuse with the wing tube installed with the wing attachment bolt and alignment pin installed. Top and bottom views are included in the photos, along with hatch on and off.

Works as planned!

Paul
That look super, Paul!! You have been busy. While I've sorted thru the wing parts, you've practically built the whole plane. Need to talk to you about the finish you've achieved on your fuselage, so smooth and shiny? I can see I'll have to step my game here to come close. hehe Doug
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:05 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
I've been working on perfecting and getting the LG and doors made and operational. I had to wait a few days for ball links to connect the nacelle doors.
After several attempts to get the nacelle profile right, I think I finally managed. I'm using Hitec HS81's to open the doors, my first attempt with white platic arms proved to be too flexible. I changed them out for a HD arm designed for much larger servos, all seems well now.
I had planned on posting last night, and ended up having a fellow member come over while I built him a new steel exhaust manifold for his 30cc engine!
I will mount the faux intake, finish the sheeting and THIS wing is ready for covering. Only one more to go.
I really enjoy setting up on the JR9303 with the built in servo speed function. No more servo slows and attendant wiring! hehe.
Ken and Paul are very busy this time of yr, actually most of the time, I'm sure they'll post when they can. Doug B
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,161 Posts
Looks spectacular Doug really neat, how on earth did you manage to work out the position of the hinges? just cant see how you managed to get them so perfect?
heli_madken is offline Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
Hi Ken: Thankyou for the kind comments. I am going to assume I simply got lucky with the hinges. Not really!! hehe.
Despite what appears to be a constant curve, the sides a pretty much parallel for the first 5-6".
The biggest problem was drilling the 1/8th" holes at a 45 degree angle. I accomplished that by filing a small flat at each location to start the drill.
Ken R showed my how to make simple little sanding blocks from 1/4 squar harwood that I've found all kinds of uses for, saving lots of time and broken balsa.
I'm working today on finishing the nacelle covering on this wing, along with a access cover to the door servo and LG anchor point.
Then I get to do it all over again, hopefully the patterns I made for this work for the second (fingers crossed). Doug B
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:53 PM
Canada, ON, Markdale
Joined Nov 2012
47 Posts
Not to side track your thread, but the manifold you made for me is a work of art as well Doug!! And I don't know how you did it but I'm glad you made it a bit longer than I mentioned, it fits perfectly!!
Rick K. is offline Find More Posts by Rick K.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:51 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick K. View Post
Not to side track your thread, but the manifold you made for me is a work of art as well Doug!! And I don't know how you did it but I'm glad you made it a bit longer than I mentioned, it fits perfectly!!
More than happy to help out and glad to hear it fits as it should. Let me know when your ready to test. Doug B
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:37 AM
Owen Sound, Ontario
Joined Jan 2006
68 Posts
progress

Hey Doug,

Nice work on the gear doors. Looks great!

I am working on flaps and ailerons. Took me two evenings to make one aileron! This is definately not a project for those who are after instant results.

Paul
Paulofthenorth is offline Find More Posts by Paulofthenorth
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:34 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
Thanks Paul: The second door set has gone a lot faster, only one full day.hehe. i think I spent the best part of a week on the flaps and ailerons, before covering! It will all come together eventually. Doug B
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:06 AM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulofthenorth View Post
Hey Doug,

Nice work on the gear doors. Looks great!

I am working on flaps and ailerons. Took me two evenings to make one aileron! This is definately not a project for those who are after instant results.

Paul
I was ready to chuck the whole thing or at least work on another project yesterday. I ended up rebuilding the aileron overhang and removing/reapplying hinges before I got a satisfactory fit to match the other wing. I'm working on fitting the other flap today. This is taking forever. When you spend more than one on each moveable surface things streeeeeeaaaach out.

Ken
ken.robinson is offline Find More Posts by ken.robinson
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:42 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
Courage boys!!! hehe. This Mosquito is a large project, and with the consortium chosing to make everything rather than buy, it will consume a lot of time (and materials).
I have worked on this plane almost every day since Sept, and see another month or two yet before paint. There will be things to ponder over, problems to overcome yet I'm sure.
Remember the 3 "Mosquitos in formation" as a triumphant result. There, you've had my little pep talk. hehe Doug B
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:11 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,501 Posts
Right on Doug!

But while it's good to look forward to the end goal, if we fail to enjoy each little step taken in getting there then we have missed out on most of the joy!
One big accomplishment is made up of many little ones all of which are essential to the biggie at the end.

This time of year seeing all the people scurrying about trying to do everything they can to put together everything that makes their idea of a great Christmas celebration reminds me (again) how good it is to be able to enjoy the company of the 'birthday boy' every day of the year... it's sort of analagous!

Happy Christmas all!
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:25 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
Hi eye4wings: Merry Christmas and the best of the season to you and all members watching.
Altho the ulitmate victory is seeing the plane fly, there is probably 100 little victories during the build that make it a complete build.
There has been a lot of work going into these 3 Mossy's, starting with building LG, spinner back plates, cowls, attaining proper supplies, motors, esc's, hell, the list goes on and on.
The alterations and the redesign took serious time and commitment to change this for electric power without compromises.
I have one more LG door set to complete, then the wings for my Mossy can be set aside for covering. I think I may need new LG servos, I've run them up and down enough to wear them out (100;s of cycles). hehe.
I need to take a couple of days off to tear down my Harley to rewire rear fender and repaint, tear down the primary drive to replace a leaking seal. painter wants the fender right after Christmas.
Enjoy the people, the season and the hobby Doug B
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:12 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
OK, I finally finished the wings, well, at least to the point of covering!! Wheeew!!
I just had to set the wings together and install a set of props to get an idea of how they will look. These props may not be the ones I use, but right now, its the only pair I have. They are 16", so right scale.
I want to thank everyone for looking in and their encouragement and comments.
I will resume my "formation" build immediately after the holidays, you know, Xmas dinner, a day to recover, then onwards.
I hope all members have a Merry Christmas and enjoy the priveledges and pleasures that family and friends bring. Doug B
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:52 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,698 Posts
Sweet! Another milestone.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:29 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Sweet! Another milestone.

J
Hi J Thanks for looking in. Yes, a definate milestone. I sometimes thought I\d never get to this point. It nothing like your builds,and I felt like I was struggling thru this a lot more than other builds. Hopefully the fuselage will go together easier. Doug B