SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Aros, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:45 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
Discussion
Sweet Flight of My SR-71 Blackbird with Contour Roam HD Cam

Today she made it to 50 flights! Whoo hoo!

Even better, I got one of the flights on video. I decided to put my complete faith in my Flight Angels and put my bulky Contour Roam camera on her back for sortie #48. Checked the CG a few times, lateral stability, everything seemed ready to go. It's only 5 additional ounces but it still made me nervous. She ballooned on me a bit on the hand toss but other than that she was incredibly stable! I think the video really captured the speed of this thing. What fun!

Added bonus: It's cool to know I could put a dummy drone on her back now and turn her into the MD-21 if I want.

SR-71 Blackbird EDF with Contour Roam - AWESOME! (3 min 14 sec)
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:47 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,947 Posts
Whoa!!! Awesome flying plane, great video!!

I thought these SR-71s did the wobble in the roll axis all the time and I skipped picking one up. How did you get around that?

Whats your power system?
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:05 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
Thanks!

One of the secrets of success to this bird is in the throws. You want to have maximum elevator response with very limited aileron response. That coupled with the proper CG (and of course understanding that you need to keep the speed up and nose pointed forward for the entire flight) gives you an excellent chance at success with this bird.

My power system is Don's Wicked System ( 6404 fans, Wicked 4000 Plus motors, 60A ESCs for 1,600 watts). Works fantastic! I use the SkyLipos 4000 4S with that setup and it's been perfect through 50+ sorties.

You should rethink not picking one up and give her a go (with plenty of dedicated research reading in Don's Wicked SR-71 Build Thread.)

It only took me 8 years and 9 airframes but I finally mastered her!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member