HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by JCMorgan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:21 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
+2

I too hope to create interest with my 4 kiddos, but as of now, only 3 of them show any interest. Our oldest is 9 and cant get video games out of his hand for nothing. He is the hardest to relate to. They are actually my wifes 4 kids, and became a part of me when we got married 3 years ago. Life and the hobby is more enjoyable now because of them.

Pilots in training !
Get him a flying "game" like the Phoenix RC Simulator. He can "play" using a transmitter and there are dozens and dozens of models he can "play" with. Phoenix offers all upgrades for free so when you upgrade to version 4.0 they even offer FPV.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:52 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Get him a flying "game" like the Phoenix RC Simulator. He can "play" using a transmitter and there are dozens and dozens of models he can "play" with. Phoenix offers all upgrades for free so when you upgrade to version 4.0 they even offer FPV.
I had RF, and now have Phoenix. He doesnt like flying at all. And I wont force my likes on him. I just try to be interested in his things... but is hard to do when I really do not like video gaming anymore. I figure give him time and see what he "grows" into and go from there.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:09 AM
Ridgeway, Va.
Joined Sep 2003
208 Posts
what to tell (or do with) the wife

This was simple.....I traded the wife to a guy for 6 airplanes....I still get to see her some !
JEanes is offline Find More Posts by JEanes
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:08 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Divorce her. Then you won't have to worry about it.
And while you're single, party like Charlie Sheeeeeeeen.
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:43 PM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
Our oldest is 9 and cant get video games out of his hand for nothing.
Im glad Im not the only one. (or that my boy isnt so strange)

All I hear about is "Minecraft, Minecraft, Minecraft!"

Minecraft!

desertdweller is offline Find More Posts by desertdweller
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:34 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,780 Posts
Wait until he's old enough to find out about, and say, "Minecon!"
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:56 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
901 Posts
I have put a video game controller in my boy's hand since the day he was born. We are always gaming together. I anticipate that he we have incredible eye-hand coordination by the time he is ready to fly and will become an amazing pilot! Right now he is in training with the Phoenix Flight Sim and he is only two years old. He is already doing hand launches with my Night Vapor and driving my Traxxas 4wd Slash like it is nothing. This is why I had kids.
My wife is very supportive of our hobby.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:06 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,164 Posts
Lucky you ! I have a daughter and tried everything to interest her to the RC hobby. I bought her a small truck that we played with for about 2 days, and a plane that she made 2 flights with and thats it. Oh well, I got to play with her playmobils instead Now she's 14 and doesn't care she has a father (mostly).

As far as the Gf goes, after 20 years together she finally got that all the bills were beeing paid and that food would always be on the table, so now its Ok for boxes to enter the house. Oh, and I tell her RC is cheap
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:57 PM
List too Big for a Bucket!
USA, NJ, Stewartsville
Joined Jul 2010
428 Posts
1) You Pay cash through a debit account linked to paypal.
2) You have the items shipped to a business address
3) You sneek the boxes in at night and pile them behind the others
4) you buy your wife something that she wants that is worth more than what you buy yourself so if the above plans do not work she can't complain.

You are never going to resolve this arguement in your favor by spending money on hobby items using a credit card if you don't have the cash on hand to pay it off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorgan View Post
The wife found the credit card bill for the card I use for this hobby. To say she is mad is the understatement of the year. It was ok when she was mad enough not to talk to me, but now that she is beyond that, I'm not hearing the end of it. I told her to blame you guys for selling such wonderful things at such good prices. She doesn't see the logic in that.
So, how do you guys keep the wife calm when packages are showing up on your doorstep just about every day?
ww2collector is offline Find More Posts by ww2collector
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:23 PM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
1,026 Posts
HaHa, I love this thread, lol.... If you only knew how much I can relate!! I don't think there's a wife alive who will ever understand the costs associated with this hobby (or the fascination with it, lol).... I especially love the guys mentioning all the damn packages that show up each day at the doorstep... Even the flipping post lady thinks I've got a serious problem!!! I think the two of them get together secretly and talk shi+ about me when I'm away. Worst part is I share a paypal account so everything gets scrutinized on a weekly basis... I try to reason that the incoming (sales) usually balances things out you-all know how hopeless that is... Anyway, great post guys!! I CAN RELATE !!!!
melsailsnorth is offline Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:20 PM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsailsnorth View Post
haha, i love this thread, lol.... If you only knew how much i can relate!! I don't think there's a wife alive who will ever understand the costs associated with this hobby (or the fascination with it, lol).... I especially love the guys mentioning all the damn packages that show up each day at the doorstep... Even the flipping post lady thinks i've got a serious problem!!! I think the two of them get together secretly and talk shi+ about me when i'm away. Worst part is i share a paypal account so everything gets scrutinized on a weekly basis... I try to reason that the incoming (sales) usually balances things out you-all know how hopeless that is... Anyway, great post guys!! I can relate !!!!
+1, it's like you wrote my dilemma.
handyman 220 is online now Find More Posts by handyman 220
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
Say it with flowers?

Baby all the bills are paid,
Things will all remain ok,
I love you tons and by the way,
I bough a brand new plane today…

Y'all can use that...
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:21 PM
I like Runnnnnning
Joined Aug 2012
303 Posts
You don't have't to tell her nothing , show her who wears the pants and get your plane, if I work hard and all home business is taken care of then there is no need to explain what you bought with what you work for period.
Forrest Gump 23 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest Gump 23
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:27 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,287 Posts
I wish you a long, happy and fruitful marriage. Although I would be shopping for a divorce lawyer if I had a similar attitude.
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:35 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,236 Posts
I told my wife a young girl struck up a conversation today, told me she hated to eat alone. Asked me if I had had lunch? I started to think a man deserves to have a little distraction... that's when I saw the hobby store, so I ran inside and bought a plane... when I came out she was gone
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4