HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by turboparker, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:05 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,614 Posts
Discussion
Flight-test: UMX Sbach 3D w/2300Kv motor; touch & go practice

Hi everyone,

I decided to try the 2300kv/GWS 5043 combo in my Sbach 3D to see how it performs in this app. As we found with the Beast 3D and V1 Sbach, the 2300kv/GWS 5043 combo is noticeably faster in the Sbach 3D than the stock 2500Kv motor with the factory prop, GWS 5030, or GWS 5043. I can easily do KE circuits, and I don't even need full rudder - even at part-throttle. The plane tracks as if on rails through 300'-400' loops. Plus, flight-time with the 2300Kv/5043 combo is considerably longer that it was with the stock 2500 with the 5030 or stock prop. I'll be staying with the 2300Kv in the Sbach 3D, just like many of us have done with the V1 Sbach & Beast 3D.

Here's the performance test video. The first flight is with a Hyperion 240, the second is with a Thunder Power 325 65c pack, and the third is with one of the new Hyperion 500 35c UMX packs.

Eflite UMX Sbach 3D - 2300Kv motor testing (11 min 38 sec)

After the testing, I decided to have some fun shooting touch & goes. I was using a Hyp 500 35c pack in this flight. It's a bit heavy for good aerobatic performance, but it's great for endurance & sport-flying, or when flying in windy/turbulent conditions.

Sbach 3D - touch & go practice (4 min 52 sec)

I like my V1 Sbachs, but the AS3X damping system takes the Sbach 3D to a new level. It flies much more like a 60-size plane or IMAC ship than a 17" span, 75-gram foamie. Pattern/precision, 3D, unlimited aerobatics, and even IMAC routines are no problem for the Sbach 3D. Plus, it laughs at 20 MPH winds, yet it can be comfortably flown in a large gym. The Holy Grail of RC flying has always been to have models that fly like the 'big ones'. In the past, the only way to do that was to fly large & giant-scale planes. Not anymore. Small backyard fliers that behave much like their large-scale & even full-scale counterparts are now a reality. And the entire plane costs less than a decent rudder servo for some of my larger ships!

What kid hasn't dreamed about being able to fly a full-house scale ship right in the yard? As a kid growing up in the early 60s, building & flying rubber-powered FF models, I dreamed that dream far more times than I could possibly count. My, how far we have come since then! There has never been a better time to be in this hobby!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:34 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,472 Posts
good info joel thanks

those TP 325 are pricey
think ill get some 400 hyperions

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hi everyone,

I decided to try the 2300kv/GWS 5043 combo in my Sbach 3D to see how it performs in this app. As we found with the Beast 3D and V1 Sbach, the 2300kv/GWS 5043 combo is noticeably faster in the Sbach 3D than the stock 2500Kv motor with the factory prop, GWS 5030, or GWS 5043. I can easily do KE circuits, and I don't even need full rudder - even at part-throttle. The plane tracks as if on rails through 300'-400' loops. Plus, flight-time with the 2300Kv/5043 combo is considerably longer that it was with the stock 2500 with the 5030 or stock prop. I'll be staying with the 2300Kv in the Sbach 3D, just like many of us have done with the V1 Sbach & Beast 3D.

Here's the performance test video. The first flight is with a Hyperion 240, the second is with a Thunder Power 325 65c pack, and the third is with one of the new Hyperion 500 35c UMX packs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93b9kv0WYsU

After the testing, I decided to have some fun shooting touch & goes. I was using a Hyp 500 35c pack in this flight. It's a bit heavy for good aerobatic performance, but it's great for endurance & sport-flying, or when flying in windy/turbulent conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zBteWbpJOw

I like my V1 Sbachs, but the AS3X damping system takes the Sbach 3D to a new level. It flies much more like a 60-size plane or IMAC ship than a 17" span, 75-gram foamie. Pattern/precision, 3D, unlimited aerobatics, and even IMAC routines are no problem for the Sbach 3D. Plus, it laughs at 20 MPH winds, yet it can be comfortably flown in a large gym. The Holy Grail of RC flying has always been to have models that fly like the 'big ones'. In the past, the only way to do that was to fly large & giant-scale planes. Not anymore. Small backyard fliers that behave much like their large-scale & even full-scale counterparts are now a reality. And the entire plane costs less than a decent rudder servo for some of my larger ships!

What kid hasn't dreamed about being able to fly a full-house scale ship right in the yard? As a kid growing up in the early 60s, building & flying rubber-powered FF models, I dreamed that dream far more times than I could possibly count. My, how far we have come since then! There has never been a better time to be in this hobby!

Joel
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29