HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:52 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,383 Posts
Yeah, I got a Brian Taylor corsair sittin in the back ground till I clear my work bench of other projects. Been saving for a meister corsair. I have the engine (GT80) and the retracts (robart). Those retracts are getting converted to electric with a linear actuator from firgelli. But there are 4 on the work bench. I promised myself, no more starts, until I finish the TF giant P-47, H9 B-25, busa L-4, and maintenance on the engines for my B-17. At least a years work.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:24 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
Yeah, I got a Brian Taylor corsair sittin in the back ground till I clear my work bench of other projects. Been saving for a meister corsair. I have the engine (GT80) and the retracts (robart). Those retracts are getting converted to electric with a linear actuator from firgelli. But there are 4 on the work bench. I promised myself, no more starts, until I finish the TF giant P-47, H9 B-25, busa L-4, and maintenance on the engines for my B-17. At least a years work.
Edwin
I hear ya. This is by far the best and worste addiction I have ever had. It's great because you can actaully learn something from this one. Yet at the same time I think it is about the most expensive one I have ever fallen into. I just want to fly them ALL.
Then again I always seem to come back to the same few. Corsair, P-47, and 190. I love the 109 too, but finding one that can deal with our field is a bit of a problem. It's going to have to be big and have at least 4"wheels. I have just found a guy that will buld the kits at a very fair price though so that has just opened a lot more doors.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,383 Posts
You might want to take a look at the meister 109. Meisters have a reputation of being fairly easy to fly. But you have to settle for near flat bottom trainer style wings. Not a problem for me, but many find them unappealing.
Edwin
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:07 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
You might want to take a look at the meister 109. Meisters have a reputation of being fairly easy to fly. But you have to settle for near flat bottom trainer style wings. Not a problem for me, but many find them unappealing.
Edwin
That's not a problem for me either. I like scale as much as anyone,but a flat bottom wing is not going to ruin it for me. Plus it may help keep it more stble at slower speeds to make the narrow gear easier to deal with.
I love the way the Kyosho 109 flys, but getting it in the air and back on the ground safe can be a problem. My last outing with mine ended with one of the gear getting stuck and wouldn't come down for landing.
The biggest problem with that plane is the size and location of the wheels. They tried to cheat the gear out for a wider stance, but in doing so limited it to a wheel that is to small to deal with the grass and bumps at my field.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,242 Posts
Well, it's finally starting to look like a plane. All that's left now is the cockpit, canopy, rad inlets on the wing, and mount the switches and air filler valve. Then comes the balance act and maiden. Just for giggles I checked the balance today without those pieces installed or the battery packs in the plane. With the G20 mounted and no flight packs or fuel it is dead on perfect level at 4 1/8". If I was going electric that would be awesome.
Now comes my concerns. I still have 10.5oz of battery packs to mount, plus fuel. The batteries shouldn't really change things that much since by the looks of it they will be sitting right at the cg point. But it looks to me like the whole tank is in front of the cg. Wouldn't that put another 16oz of weight ahead of the cg and make it very nose heavy? I don't mind a P-51 or P-40 being setup a bit nose heavy, but I have got used to flying my Corsairs at the middle or even a little aft of the reccomended cg points. I would think a plane starting off heavy by a pound up front is going to handle like a pig.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:51 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,242 Posts
Well, no markings yet, but it's ready to maiden. 10lbs with an empty tank, balanced at 4 3/8". I guess I'll find out by this time tomorrow if that is a good cg spot for me.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Sep 2003
2,383 Posts
Thats a good weight. Mine I think was a little more than that and flew good.
Edwin
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:29 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,242 Posts
Well, the maiden is complete. I can see this becoming another favorite real quick. I left the cg at 4 3/8 added fuel and away it went. The maiden was with the g20 an MAS 14x9x3 prop. Set up in the middle of the runway full back el and slowly added throttle. After about 30 feet I let off the el and the tail lifted to level. No heading for its nose so I just let go of the el and added more throttle. At about 3/4 it started to lift on its own. In the air it needed nothing in the way of trim. Half throttle was straight and level hands off. Rolls are nice and crisp, loops as large as you want. Then came the landing. Actually it didn't show any bad things there either. The problem came when the wheels touched and both turned on the struts.My fault. I forgot to grind the flats on the struts. End result was a flip that broke the rudder about 2" from the top. The rudder itself is an easy fix. The top of the fin that was mounted to the fuse will be the hardest part of the repair. Still not that big of a deal. Overall I'm very happy with this one. Looking at the fuel used I should be able to get about 15-20 minutes of mixed flying on the stock tank. Coming from electric to gas planes that is a HUGE bonus.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:15 PM
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Mar 2005
58 Posts
Congratulations on the maiden, even though the landing didn't work out right. What gear are you using? May have just missed that even though I read through the thread.
aghost is online now Find More Posts by aghost
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghost View Post
Congratulations on the maiden, even though the landing didn't work out right. What gear are you using? May have just missed that even though I read through the thread.
Thanks. They are the listed Robart air retracts. Overall they work ok. Speed is a bit fast when they do work. Found out today on the second flight of the day that they don't want to come down even with 40lbs still in the tank. Ended up belly landing, but it slows down real nice. Had about 7-8 mph headwind so just coasted it in and plopped it down on the runway with no damage at all.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:40 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,242 Posts
Different day same result. Went out to try and get a couple flights in before dark and the forcast snow tonight. Put 80lb in the retracts this time. Takeoff was fine and it really does fly nice with the g20 and 16x8 prop. Could use just a touch more speed though.
Flew for 9 1/2 minutes, mostly half throttle with a few WOT passes. Then the lower end of the throttle started to feel a little mushy. Not sure what to call it, but to get the revs up I had to go over half then back down slow. I'm thinking I may be a touch rich on the low end.Actually I think I'm a bit rich on low and high end, it is a bit messy for a gasser, but I'm still in the break in period so I don't want to go to lean.
Now comes the landing. Gear didn't want to come down all the way till I rolled to force them. Came in full flaps this time. It really slows down with the flaps down compared to my H9 50 size. Good thing too. Had another axle spin on the strut deal. It was the axle that I broke the set screw on so I knew it would only be a matter of time. Just as before the wheel turning flipped it over. Broke the rudder again at the same spot I have already glued once. This time it also crinkled the seeting just behind the cowl on the top of the fuse. Looks like it's time to call it a season and start the repairs.
As good as this one flys I think it deserves to be stripped and glassed. The Robarts have to go. I did see that HH has electric versions of these listed. They are back ordered, but maybe by Spring they will have either the retro fit kit or the retracts ready.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,383 Posts
Oh no no no. 40psi is basically empty. Start with 100psi to 110psi, refill when you get down to about 80psi to 70psi. This give you insurance. Not really a good idea to slow it down cause you might not lock the gear. I used restrictors for awhile but eventually took them out. If your engine starts to slowly loose power, that could be an indication of it over heating. You got to baffle the engine to make sure it gets enough cooling. Mine had the robart 615 retracts and I hated them. Too many set screws and they were always loosening up. The strut scissors kept bending and nosing over. Watch out for the cowl mounts when you nose over. I lost my corsair when the cowl broke loss in flight and hit the back of the prop, busted a blade off. The vibration noise was deafening before I was able to kill the engine. I dropped the gear and a strut falls out of the plane, great, bad to worse. I raised the gear but by that time I was getting too slow and only 50' up. The corsair stalled and rolled over and dove into the ground. Total loss. I would go with the sierra gear if you can find a way to pay for it. Constant gear problems take all the fun out of it. Another option would be electrics from wingspanretracts.com .

Careful about the glassing. That could put you at the 12lb mark. The plane will fly at that, but with that wing area your loading will mean higher landing and stall speeds.

I flew a TF P-40 for a buddy long time ago that was 12.5 lbs. It was a tank and really a handful. You had to stay on top of it the whole time you were flying which wasnt fun. Landings were white knuckled. I suggested he sell it cause it was to much for a novice pilot.
Edwin
Last edited by edwin1; Nov 26, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Mar 2005
58 Posts
V2Rider: My corsair has the Robart 615s with 3/16" wire struts. I am also using Robart's 3/16" wire axle adapter with 3/16" axle. These adapters have two screws on the strut and one screw on the axle. A bunch of landings and neither has spun. Landing on a smooth petromat surface.

As for the gear coming down, I had to really work to get the rails square on one of the retracts. That one did not want to come down reliably until I got it shimmed just right. The other worked from the start.

I sure agree about it being a really good flying plane!

Brian
Brian
aghost is online now Find More Posts by aghost
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:05 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,242 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. ALL great info. I think I'll hold off on the glassing for a while. Not really worried about the weight. My GS was 34lb with a 58oz/sq ft wing load. It flew real nice as long as it had power. A glider it was not thought. At this point this one has a few battle scars, but nothing to keep it from flying, no need to go crazy doing detail work till I get everything worked out with the gear and engine.
Plus I took some time and cleaned off the bike lift today. Then something jumped out of the box and said build me!
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:02 PM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined Oct 2009
235 Posts
My TF Corsair ARF HAS a Zenoah 20 EI engine mounted inverted and I checked and it did have 3 degrees UP....added shims(washers) to add downthrust....1 degree.
I f/glassed the airframe and wing plus using Serria Retracts.....not painted yet though.
corsair167 is offline Find More Posts by corsair167
Last edited by corsair167; Dec 04, 2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: additional information