HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:13 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,361 Posts
Discussion
TF 60 size Corsair thrust line, and other fuel noob questions:)

Time to mount the g20 in the Corsair. Is UP/RIGHT thrust in the firewall normal for this one? Doesn't seem right to me. I have only had one other kit that had that built in and it did not go well for me. Or the plane

EDIT: This is the ARF, and not a kit.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Last edited by V2rider; Nov 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: edit
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,807 Posts
Doesnt sound right to me. I built mine back in the 90's and dont remember if there was any down thrust.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:37 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,361 Posts
This one seems a bit hard to judge. When I put a square along the top of the fuse and check at the firewall it looks like about 1/4" of upthust. When I move the square to the underside of the fuse and check it from there it seems like about 1/16". Either way upthrust just doesn't seem right. Thing is I would think it would measure the same from the top or bottom of the fuse. I guess there could be some taper built into the fuse and the upthrust is all an optical illusion.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,807 Posts
Yeah, sounds like one of them eliptical delusions! Try using the fuse mid point where the top and bottom halves join. I believe thats what I used as a reference.
Edwin
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:46 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,361 Posts
Thanks. I should have said that this is the ARF so I don't really have that fuse point to go from. I'll try and use the servo mounting former as a reference and see what I get from there.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,807 Posts
In that case, my next question would be, is the stab flat (as in "not" airfoiled)? If so, I would use that as my 0 deg reference. Maybe use a bubble level and get it centered. Then check the firewall with a needle version angle finder. I suppose a vertical bubble level would work to verify the firewall is 90deg to the stab making the firewall 0deg. I would be surprised if there was any up thrust built in. That would not be normal. This is similar to the angle finder I use, http://www.harborfreight.com/dial-ga...der-34214.html
Edwin
Edwin
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:40 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,361 Posts
The rear stab is airfoiled on the ARF so I think my best bet may end up being an inside former. I'm thinking it's my eyes playing tricks. If there was a problem with the ARF kit surely someone else would have found it by now. I may throw an extra washer or two on top just to be safe though.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,807 Posts
If you have an incedence meter you could level the fuse that way, then check the firewall.
Edwin
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:02 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
If you have an incedence meter you could level the fuse that way, then check the firewall.
Edwin
I should have one of those by now, but haven't really needed one til now. Going by the servo/radio tray inside though it looks ok. Very little down thrust, maybe 1 degree. An extra washer behind the top mounts should get me back in my comfort zone. Thanks for the Help.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:53 PM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined Oct 2009
239 Posts
Is this the new 60size ARF you are putting the G20 on? I mounted my engine inverted and I have not yet checked any angles........
corsair167 is offline Find More Posts by corsair167
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:25 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair167 View Post
Is this the new 60size ARF you are putting the G20 on? I mounted my engine inverted and I have not yet checked any angles........
Yes sir, it is the 60 size ARF. Should have made that clear sooner. I don't have the time or skill to build the kit.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:09 AM
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Mar 2005
73 Posts
I mounted an OS 108 on mine. No spacers. It flies and lands just fine. I haven't had any reason to measure or adjust the built in thrust angle.
aghost is offline Find More Posts by aghost
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:08 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,361 Posts
Well, picked up an angle finder at Lowes today. Set the plane upside down in the stand and leveled the servo tray. Sitting like this there is 0 degree in the firewall. That I can live with just fine.
I do much better with my warbirds if they have a bit of down/right so I'll just put a washer or two behind the top mounts to start with. This may be a good one to fly like that a bit, then pull the washers and get used to flying them with no down thrust.

Thanks for the help guys. And the nudge to finally by a tool that I have needed for a while now.
With a little luck this this thing will finally get in the air soon. I would like to see that in the morning, but I still have lots of little junk to do.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,807 Posts
I really liked mine (kit) with a ST.90 and slimline large volume pitts muffler. It fit inside the cowl with only pipes out the bottom. But you HAD to use a cowl baffle to keep the engine cooled. Sounded good and and looked good doing that screaming low strafing run down the runway. Sure miss that plane.
Edwin
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:39 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
I really liked mine (kit) with a ST.90 and slimline large volume pitts muffler. It fit inside the cowl with only pipes out the bottom. But you HAD to use a cowl baffle to keep the engine cooled. Sounded good and and looked good doing that screaming low strafing run down the runway. Sure miss that plane.
Edwin
Get another, you can NEVER have to many Corsairs I can't seem to keep enough airwoirthy at a time.
I bought this one to use as a stepping stone between my H9 50 size and the TF GS kit built that I bought from RCU. Thing is I got a great deal on the GS so at the end of the day I had less money in it, than I do in this one. Turned around and flew the GS before I really got into the build on this one. Three flights in on the Giant Scale and I had a dead stick to far to get back safe.
The three flights I did get convinced me of a few things though. 1) I like the sound and power of gas. All of my planes have been electric till this point. 2) Giant Scale really does fly better. At 58oz/sq. ft. the big Corsair was a sweetheart, as long as you had power. ( deadstick it had the glide slope of a brick. ) 3) Mix a few gas and electric and you get much more flying time instead of waiting for batteries to charge all the time.
When this one is finished there are three more waiting to be built, and I have another 26cc engine for a project yet to be determined. Next three up are the TF 60 SIZE P-47D ARF. That one is getting a DLE 20 since it fit lengthwise in it better than in the Corsair. Then is the H9 150 size P-47 Razorback. I keep flipflopping on this one between going gas and electric. Then there is also the TF GS FW-190 ARF. This one will either get the G62 from the Corsair, or a new DLE55.
Haven't decided on what to use the 26cc in yet though. Top two on the list at the moment is the ESM 71" birds. Either the 190 or the Corsair. Like I said, you can't have to many Corsairs.