HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:08 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,039 Posts
To help you with SOME of the details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokko View Post
There is so many small things to do on this plane...
Dear Krokko:

The PIPE here again - before I have to get back to helping out around the house over here in New England, I thought I WOULD send you a pair of scans I'd mentioned previously that I've archived concerning the "Tiggie".

First, I've attached a "fuselage sketchpage" scan showing a LOT of the smaller details around and on the fuselage and wing panels...and the gray-background "key" or "legend" for its numbered items is also included. Note: the "AMSketch" file had to be sent as a PDF, or Adobe Reader file to keep its filesize to a "downloadable" level here at RCGroups...if you've got the freely (no cost) downloadable Adobe Reader software already on your PC, you'll be all set to see it.

Just hoping those two scans are of some help...remember, I DO have both the Aeromodeller and Karlstrom scans of those two sets of Tiggie scale drawings if needed!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is online now Find More Posts by The PIPE
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, TX, San Angelo
Joined Nov 2007
89 Posts
KajS,
Nice work so far! Get this book. It has everthing Tigermoth that you need to know...

http://www.amazon.com/Havilland-Tige.../dp/1844255867

Carl
CarlMalone is offline Find More Posts by CarlMalone
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:03 PM
Sweden, Dalarna County, Aspeboda
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlMalone View Post
KajS,
Nice work so far! Get this book. It has everthing Tigermoth that you need to know...

http://www.amazon.com/Havilland-Tige.../dp/1844255867

Carl
Hi Carl,

thanks for the tip, just ordered the book!

rgds/KajS
krokko is offline Find More Posts by krokko
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
progress again - not without challenges......

Manage to mount the wings by myself today. Had to install a blind nut in order to be able to fix the stabilizer.
I think the screw and nut will stay there later on. I realize that I need to cover the tailplane + fin and back of the fuse and mount them properly before installing the elevator wires. Otherwise it's impossible to reach to the servo and servoarm for installation.
Checked the incidence as close to the root as possible: upper wing +1, lower wing +3, stab = 0. I couldn't find any guidance in the instructions on this, maybe I missed something??

I think I'll let the Tiger rest over the weekend. Oracover, 1 role 10lpm Cub-Yellow arriving next week!!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:02 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
Again, fantastic work! I always get very worried when dealing with proper incidence and rarely have had it spot on in the first wing mounting.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, TX, San Angelo
Joined Nov 2007
89 Posts
Looking quite nice KajS! Here is a good place for instruments.
http://www.aerocockpit.com/
There is a 1/4 scale Tiggie cockpit but you have to get the compass separately
CarlMalone is offline Find More Posts by CarlMalone
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Hi again!

update on progress; details, details, details - need to find some sort of mechanism for the doors....

rgds/KajS
Last edited by krokko; Nov 19, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:56 AM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
hi again,
some more details + first coating of paint.
/KajS
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Hi again,
done some housekeeping on the hinge fittings, needed to reinforce them - not using the originals for the elevator and the rudder. some sanding , again, before starting the dressing of the tail.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
some progress - needed to setup the elevator linkage before covering the fuse. looks ok-! have not epoxied the fin yet, just verifying position.
relise that I have to do some balsa filling in order be able to fasten the oracover properly.
still looking for material to use for the petrol tank ribbing.

/KajS
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Hi again,

no wonder I'm feeling tired......
still have four (4) wings to cover.......
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:23 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
441 Posts
Nice job

And very quick

Regarding the corrugations on the top wing fuel tank

What I did with my Moth when I built it about 20 years ago was to go to the local art/hobby supply store and buy some lengths of wicker.

It is used for weaving baskets and is very flexible. I glued strips on the tank close to each other, when these were dry I spread white water based wood glue along the strips and allowed it to flow between the strips. The end result was quite convincing and has lasted many years/flights.

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:59 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,039 Posts
A bit of help on the "RIBBING" for the Tiggie's fuel tank...

Dear Krokko:

The PIPE Here again - and thanks to the detail photo (that I've attached) of a typical Tiggie's fuel tank that I JUST grabbed off the 'Net, that you'll see at the bottom of this posting...

...there are exactly FORTY-SEVEN "ribs" making up the corrugations on the Tiger Moth's upper wing centre fuel tank, as I just got finished counting them THREE times to be absolutely certain.

With such an "odd number" of ribs on that fuel tank, ONE of the "peaks" of them IS directly on the fuel tank's centreline, just for your information.

Hope you can figure out how wide to space them, and what material SIZE to use for the "ribs", so that you know that there are 47 of them there !!

Got to get my dinner now...hope the photo helps!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is online now Find More Posts by The PIPE
Last edited by The PIPE; Nov 23, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmerl View Post
Nice job

And very quick

Regarding the corrugations on the top wing fuel tank

What I did with my Moth when I built it about 20 years ago was to go to the local art/hobby supply store and buy some lengths of wicker.

It is used for weaving baskets and is very flexible. I glued strips on the tank close to each other, when these were dry I spread white water based wood glue along the strips and allowed it to flow between the strips. The end result was quite convincing and has lasted many years/flights.

mike
thanks Mike, i'll check in today when going shopping.....good idéa

/KajS
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:58 AM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIPE View Post
Dear Krokko:

The PIPE Here again - and thanks to the detail photo (that I've attached) of a typical Tiggie's fuel tank that I JUST grabbed off the 'Net, that you'll see at the bottom of this posting...

...there are exactly FORTY-SEVEN "ribs" making up the corrugations on the Tiger Moth's upper wing centre fuel tank, as I just got finished counting them THREE times to be absolutely certain.

With such an "odd number" of ribs on that fuel tank, ONE of the "peaks" of them IS directly on the fuel tank's centreline, just for your information.

Hope you can figure out how wide to space them, and what material SIZE to use for the "ribs", so that you know that there are 47 of them there !!

Got to get my dinner now...hope the photo helps!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Thanks for your input Pipe,

I think we can forget about my Tiger becoming an exact scale model! I'll do my best to get her flying next year, if she becomes a favorite to fly I could contemplate building another one, but not a Flair kit, thats for sure. There is a couple of interesting kits from Toni Clark in Germany that could be the next, if there is a next one!!

rgds/KajS