SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:55 AM
farmington, mn
Joined Sep 2003
873 Posts
Discussion
best coating for pcb to stop corrosion

not to sure how this board is still alive but corrosion is getting the best of it, i have heard that deck varnish was the the previous protection on it used by the manufacture, whatever it was it really didn't hold up well. i was thinking of just dipping it that liquid plastic that you can find at most hardware stores for coating tools. just wondering if that would work or is there something better to use
thanks jeff
jeff262 is offline Find More Posts by jeff262
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:47 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,233 Posts
PCB Conformal coating, designed for the job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:51 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,651 Posts
I used to spray copper boards after making then with this AISLARCO 2.
I see they have now AISLOARCO 1 as well.

This spray leaves a coating that prevents corrosion is non conductive and allows soldering afterwards.

http://www.cetronic.es/sqlcommerce/d...0003&cPath=807
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:10 AM
farmington, mn
Joined Sep 2003
873 Posts
i remember awhile back hearing someone say that Conformal coatings are nothing more then clear enamel spray paint just more expensive..any truth to that? also im not sure the that conformal coating would stick to the the corrosion that has already started.
jeff262 is offline Find More Posts by jeff262
Last edited by jeff262; Oct 21, 2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:36 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff262 View Post
i remember awhile back hearing someone say that Conformal coatings are nothing more then clear enamel spray paint just more expensive..any truth to that? also im not sure the that conformal coating would stick to the the corrosion that has already started.
Depends which type of conformal coating you are referring to. The cheapest of the proper conformal coatings are around the same price as 'clear enamel spray' so why would you not want to use the 'proper' stuff.

There are conformal coatings for specialized purposes that are expensive and very very different to 'clear enamel spray'.

Your free to experiment of course.
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:05 AM
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
1,655 Posts
Clear Krylon is ok, for pro use Humiseal type 1B73 is better.

For really tough apps, I've spread 5 min epoxy across the bottom of the board,

but good luck doing any repairs after that.
jglenn is offline Find More Posts by jglenn
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:14 AM
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglenn View Post
I've spread 5 min epoxy across the bottom of the board,

but good luck doing any repairs after that.
Usually a manufacturer will pot with epoxy as it's rather hard to spray on in small quantities.

I would try to find a real conformal coating like the a for mentioned Humiseal type 1B73. The best part of using a conformal coating is under a black lite it will show u where you missed applying it. The 1B73 is Acylic and has it's own remover in case you need to do repairs.

I would not try something not designed for conformal coating use as you could possible short out your circuitry with it. Better safe than sorry.

edit --- I would also clear off all the flux as it looks like it has a ton of it on the circuit board. Could be contributing to the corrosion.
Roguedog is offline Find More Posts by Roguedog
Last edited by Roguedog; Oct 23, 2012 at 04:23 AM.