HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:59 PM
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
1,911 Posts
You can order them threw Oleg who used to be the producer of the Taboo line of DLG's at: http://olgol.com/.

It takes a while for the kits to get stateside, but the price, and quality makes it worth the wait.

Playing out in the field (7 min 28 sec)

Some footage of me trying to fly some choppy air today.

Ploof
ploof is online now Find More Posts by ploof
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:26 PM
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
1,911 Posts
Thanks Jon, I've seen those videos along with umpteen others. A couple weeks back I was managing some launching I was pretty happy with. I guess I have to get my head back into it, I think the weather is supposed to be dryish the next few days hopefully I can get some more flying in.

I was having some trouble bringing my stance around with these launches mainly due to the ground being wet, and irregular. I get real apprehensive when the ground is slick.

Ploof
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:42 PM
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
1,911 Posts
Finally struck gold with practicing my launch technique. I was having such a hard time rotating into final position with my stance. I finally I started facing directly into the direction I wished to launch so I only needed to turn 270, and bingo.

For years I've been starting by pointing my shoulder into the direction of launch per a tip I came across, but this turning 270 makes it incredibly easy to load up, and carry my arm threw. I still need to get to the point where this launch will be second nature, but it seems like I've passed a major hurtle.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:55 PM
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
1,911 Posts
Here's a video kind of showing progress I've made with launching.

I've been struggling with unlearning my old launch habits. I think I'm starting to get in the zone, the video is showing a very underpowered launch do to the high wind. The video doesn't entirely exhibit my launch but kind of shows the foot movement throughout the launch. I've been having great results with getting way more power out of my arm with this footing, and less stress on my back, along with the rest of my body.

Working on launch technique (4 min 22 sec)

Ploof
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:24 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,671 Posts
100% improvement on the launch. You still have 100% improvement left in there somewhere though.

Regardless of wind, you are not loading up the spring. Your arm is slack at launch. Extend that arm straight as an arrow and let it get whipped around as you uncoil the torso on the last 1/4 of the turn before release.

But yes, That is WAY better. Way better! Also, sorry you have to fly at such a terrible field! Poor guy, having to look at that view and fly at the same time!

Heres my buddy. He launches like a freakin fool!!!!! This gives you a little different view of the coil I am talking about. And you can see where he really pours the coals on there at the end of the launch. His launch is not perfect. I dont know that anyone has it perfected. But Jon launches to 200' all day long, so he is doing something right. Notice how far behind him the plane is for alot of the throw. Thats because his torso is twisted and the arm is lagging behind. Untwisting torso whips the arm around and makes for a great launch.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...entree_ff&tt=b
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Dec 05, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:21 AM
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
1,911 Posts
I think I'll have all that covered I usually have the arm straight with a throw at the end sometimes. These launches I was really holding back, hopefully I can get some footage of a full blown launch soon. With getting my feet in on the effort it's made it really easy to pull off a powerful throw, really really easy. These wimpy launches were producing what looked to be 150' foot with the wind speed. Seems like if it isn't raining around here the wind is blowing. I took video of me trying to launch in 25 mph winds a few days back, and just about had this Validol planted in the ground.

Ploof
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:40 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,671 Posts
Keep it up. Great improvement!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:33 AM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
747 Posts
Lookin good Ploof. I gotta get up there and fly with you. It looks likeyou have endless sky compared to what I am used to. If had to recomend somthng to you I would say try and level your spin out. This can help prevent tip strikes and it lets you focus on your rotational speed. Make sure yor launch preset hs the elevator trim seperate so you can adjust your climb rate with that instead of having to through up. I also need to get soe goodies to you.

Lee
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:15 PM
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
1,911 Posts
Hey Lee looks like the rain might let up this weekend if you guys want to wander up here. Maybe I'll give Brad a jingle, and see if he wants to make the scene.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:30 PM
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
1,911 Posts
Here we go, the camera angle is kinda lame but the light was getting pretty low so I was trying to get what little sun there was to light me up. I was trying to get more forward movement here. My earlier launches were a little smoother, but there were rain drops on the lens.

Launch progress (3 min 6 sec)

Ploof
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:48 PM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
747 Posts
Work tomorrow...

Sunday could work
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando