HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:14 AM
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
1,910 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys, its a big time saver. I've tried searching out info on the groups here, and next thing I know I'll be looking at dozens upon dozens of pages of info.

I had pretty good results yesterday with a couple of mm. of reflex trying to bring it back from down wind. I was checking out some other launches I caught on video from Wednesday, and the quite a few of the launches looked to be a bit steeper then I realized. It was just the shallow ones the really left an impression.

I'm looking forward to spending the weekend pushing buttons on the transmitter.

The 80mm. CG is kind of middle of the road for the prescribed set up on Oleg's Validol page. It's seems pretty nice I eased up on the elevator a little, and the thing is flying way nicer then any of the other DLG's I've ever owned.
ploof is offline Find More Posts by ploof
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:05 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Greening View Post
My launch preset is on a hard switch, but a momentary works well too, most seem to prefer it. With the switch engaged, the wing is in cruise camber, and the elevator preset is active. It is significantly more than 1-2 degrees. Launch mode comes out very soon after the model leaves my hand, and the wing reverts to clean (no added reflex).

Craig
Craig,

I'm curious about the cruise camber with the launch switch. I've always left the wing in speed from launch, climb and then switch to cruise or thermal after push over.

What is the advantage to cruise during launch phase?

Thanks, RdJay
rdjay is online now Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:17 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Jun 2006
558 Posts
I've found the cruise camber setting to provide the most effective rotation, then the wing goes to the clean (reflex) position for the climb portion. Some use a little more than cruise for the rotation but I haven't seen a benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay View Post
Craig,

I'm curious about the cruise camber with the launch switch. I've always left the wing in speed from launch, climb and then switch to cruise or thermal after push over.

What is the advantage to cruise during launch phase?

Thanks, RdJay
Craig Greening is online now Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:19 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,079 Posts
Interesting. I will give that a try.

Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:24 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,114 Posts
I will try to answer for Craig. Oops too late. Anyway, here goes my humble opinion

The idea there is to add some camber during the pull-up phase, to reduce the drag when the wing is at high lift coefficient (CL). I tried to do the same for a while.

It turns out that the actual CL during the pull-up is not all that high. Simple calculations via the speed and pull-up radius will show the CL to be about 0.4 (I think that's what Mark Drela showed in his analysis). At this CL the airfoil does not need any extra camber, and the speed configuration is actually the best at this CL. Only at CL=0.8...1.0 some extra camber is beneficial (cruise and thermal regimes). So launching in speed mode is best and if a sharper pull-up is needed, simply adding more elevator preset is best.
olgol is offline Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,079 Posts
Thanks Oleg, more interesting stuff. Sorry for the thread derail Chris.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:49 PM
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
1,910 Posts
After a really really long morning of playing "Kung Fu Kitty Hospital" with my young daughters while waiting for the rain to clear I finally got a well deserved chance to test out the launch elevator preset.

The conditions were, and still are pretty gusty at a nearly steady 10 knots. I think I'm heading in the right direction it's definitely pitching upwards at 2mm. of deflection. I wasn't able to get a really solid read of what was working out the best with gusts hitting me during the rotation. A couple times I held on with the preset to pull up a little more after release.

I'm starting to get obsessive about my launch technique. I think I might be relapsing into a serious DLG addiction again.

The flight of this Validol was great during higher wind! I can't wait to get some weather like the day of the maiden again.

What kind of deflection do you guys use on your elevator preset? I couldn't tell for sure if this 2mm. was taking care of business.

Ploof
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:05 PM
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
1,910 Posts
Bingo, the preset is working great!

I was getting higher launches with the climb in the area of 65%-75% from what I could tell. When I pushed to climbs nearing vertical the speed would burn off way to quick, and the launches were on the short side.

With the lower angels it blows me away how well the Validol keeps moving out, which appears to help the launch height.

I got some video I'll try getting it on here later this evening.

Ploof
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:56 PM
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
1,910 Posts
Here's some video from this morning, and afternoon.

I'm pretty happy with the results, I'm getting.

I started actually doing some thermal flying the instead of just pushing buttons.

Validol progress (5 min 33 sec)

Ploof
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:01 AM
TjW
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploof View Post
The Patron Saint of bringing awesome new toys to middle aged men stopped by my house this afternoon.

Thought I was going to have to wait till next week, before this gem showed up.

Holy moly Rocky this thing is righteous, it's been a few years since I got a new DLG, and the last one I got I am at least the third owner.

It's looking like the final weight will be cracking around 10oz. My current Encore is 11.3oz. so this will be a change of pace weight wise.

I'm not building it for ultra light weight gas bag performance. The plan is more for very good performance, and durability. It will just mainly be my drag it out in the backyard, and fly with the occasional pack it up, and fly it somewhere else.

I'm so glad I sprang for this I really like the bagged solid foam core, and the construction is brilliant. Good job Validol making elves in Santa's shop.

Hopefully I'll make a big dent in the last of the set up to be done tomorrow, maybe even finish it off.

Ploof
Santa? or the Great Pumpkin? I couldn't help noticing it was orange.
TjW is offline Find More Posts by TjW
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:30 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
4,967 Posts
I'd probably quit my job,if I have place like this near by to fly.
Thanx for the video.
Yuri
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:53 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,478 Posts
Looking good Ploof. My only comment is to have your elbow locked straight all the way to release and have more of a follow through in the direction of the throw. Have you had any time to experiment with camber settings? With the speed that the Validol has, can it camber up past 4mm and float effectively?
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:05 PM
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
1,910 Posts
Thanks for the tip Dave, I'd been totally focusing on rotating my stance, and forgot all about my arm. Glad to say I had real good results with this I had my arm straight for the first 180 degrees, pulled for the last 180 into release which seemed to help with follow through, aim, and higher launch. Using my arm to throw made the launch way more comfortable, and controllable.

These are by far some of the highest launches I've ever managed.

As far as the chamber goes, I have the max thermal chamber set out to 6mm but I only seem to be able to get the throw down to half of this at the 80mm CG.

Do you guys ever end up using elevator comp. with thermal chamber these days, or is that counter productive?

As far as landing chamber goes I've been using 36mm with 7mm of elevator comp. this is working out really nicely.

The air was pretty nice this evening with the storm lift giving the Validol a nice ride of short bursts of gusty lift.

Thanks Yuri I remember back when we were house hunting, and when my wife brought me by to check this place out I just about blacked out when I saw the field, and view. I had just started to try flying RC gliders.

Tj, It might have been the Great Pumpkin?

Ploof
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Jan 2004
281 Posts
so these planes are hard to come by? i am starting to build and fly again and would like to get 2 dlg's i dont really want to wait more than a couple weeks so what are the options?...updating the fleet so 2 xp4 (one unbuilt) will go up for sale ...the steigeisens look awesome as well...tx
rand24 is offline Find More Posts by rand24
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:55 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,669 Posts
Ploof, watch these. Launch like Jun. You are doing all sorts of gymastics and sending energy everywhere but the plane.

Jun C. - DLG Launch Clinic Part 1 (9 min 4 sec)

Jun C. - DLG Launch Clinic Part 2 (9 min 15 sec)

Seriously. It will be worth the time as your launch will be 2 times as high by just getting the movements correct.
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON