Dbox is online now Find More Posts by Dbox
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:59 AM
Oregon, USA
Joined Nov 2006
305 Posts
Black stripes

Chris,
Thanks for posting the completion pics and video. Nice work!

I see you added some black stripes to the underside of your wing. Do you mind telling us what you used for this and are you happy with the results?

Mine is home safe now and I can't wait to get it in the air
You have proven it can be a quick build but I am slow...

Thanks again,
Craig
C Robinson is offline Find More Posts by C Robinson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG Fuselage Mold - Part 1
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:44 AM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,037 Posts
I love flying out there, except for when one of my wild, and crazy daughters gives herself a nose bleed like yesterday. The two kids were using a rope swing from lawn chair to lawn chair, and she slipped, and smacked her face right on the chair. She was crying for about an hour. Usually it's a great time out there, it would be even better if that slope out at the crest in the field produced lift, but it faces westerly, and maybe once in the last 11 years I'd seen it produce slope lift. The tree line produces a tight slope lift band, and there are a few hot spots that produce ground effect lift, and another couple spots that produce organized thermals. Usually the thermal air tops out around 500 feet.

Best of all my house is right there, and stopping for a beer break is no problem.

That Validol flew so great, it penetrated great, and retains speed very well. I still can't get over how it kept cruising out on the launch.

Ploof
ploof is online now Find More Posts by ploof
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:46 AM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,037 Posts
That green looks great with the Kevlar color Craig, I like it!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Apr 2009
350 Posts
I could eat that, beautiful, great colour choice and layout
mrdoodah is offline Find More Posts by mrdoodah
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:51 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Robinson View Post
Chris,
Thanks for posting the completion pics and video. Nice work!

I see you added some black stripes to the underside of your wing. Do you mind telling us what you used for this and are you happy with the results?

Mine is home safe now and I can't wait to get it in the air
You have proven it can be a quick build but I am slow...

Thanks again,
Craig
Sweet
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:53 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,037 Posts
Sorry I missed the stripe question Craig trying to surf the net on this phone takes more skill then I can manage.

The stripes are actually a Orange tinted Chrome Vinyl adhesive backed product I got through a outfit that supplies this product for automotive use.

I'll get a more detailed photo up of this later.

Chris
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:01 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,970 Posts
Very nice and congrats on the successful maiden.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:58 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,037 Posts
Did some more programming, got the elevator to tied into the Landing chamber to my liking, and also got the elevator on some more expo. This thing is getting very smooth, both elevator, and Aileron in cruise are working great. I've still got some more dialing in of the launch settings to do towards the end of the evening it was pitching up to much at nearly vertical pitch around 100 feet high, and seemed to be burning off speed way to quick. So I backed off the chamber to neutral, and elevator at neutral, and it is back down to a 45-50 degree pitch, but it seems like I should be able to climb a little steeper. I'll tell you what though at the 45-50 degree climb it was far surpassing anything my old beater was managing.

What kind of climb angels do you guys usually run, and what kind of chamber, and elevator presets do you guys use for launch?

With my Encore drag was really an issue because it was getting pretty beat up, and lumpy. So to have a steep climb seemed the best use of the launch speed.

I'm running five flight modes as I do on all my kits with exception of flying wings/planks. Reflex, Cruise, Landing, 50% rudder, and 100% rudder. The rudder modes are increasing amounts of aileron differential, and rudder mixing for flatter turn in light lift, calm conditions. I hardly ever use these setting unless I'm into really agonizing scratching for lift conditions.

The air was pretty stale today, and I was having to fight a head wind so I started getting a reflex mode together, and it's working awesome. The cruise is good with indicating, and the reflex really does a great job of moving it out to bring it back from down wind.

Ploof
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:57 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Jun 2006
620 Posts
I use around 80-degree launch angle. The track doesn't change on the way up, which is a function of CG and trim. It rotates to this angle out of the hand. Wing is in cruise mode while the preset is active, speed mode after that. Elevator preset is whatever it takes to get it to rotate as needed.

Not sure I understand your flight modes. I use (and recommend) Launch, Cruise, Speed and Float. Rudder mix is set for each mode. Your 'flatter turn' settings are very likely doing more harm than good.

CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploof View Post
Did some more programming, got the elevator to tied into the Landing chamber to my liking, and also got the elevator on some more expo. This thing is getting very smooth, both elevator, and Aileron in cruise are working great. I've still got some more dialing in of the launch settings to do towards the end of the evening it was pitching up to much at nearly vertical pitch around 100 feet high, and seemed to be burning off speed way to quick. So I backed off the chamber to neutral, and elevator at neutral, and it is back down to a 45-50 degree pitch, but it seems like I should be able to climb a little steeper. I'll tell you what though at the 45-50 degree climb it was far surpassing anything my old beater was managing.

What kind of climb angels do you guys usually run, and what kind of chamber, and elevator presets do you guys use for launch?

With my Encore drag was really an issue because it was getting pretty beat up, and lumpy. So to have a steep climb seemed the best use of the launch speed.

I'm running five flight modes as I do on all my kits with exception of flying wings/planks. Reflex, Cruise, Landing, 50% rudder, and 100% rudder. The rudder modes are increasing amounts of aileron differential, and rudder mixing for flatter turn in light lift, calm conditions. I hardly ever use these setting unless I'm into really agonizing scratching for lift conditions.

The air was pretty stale today, and I was having to fight a head wind so I started getting a reflex mode together, and it's working awesome. The cruise is good with indicating, and the reflex really does a great job of moving it out to bring it back from down wind.

Ploof
Craig Greening is online now Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Last edited by Craig Greening; Oct 26, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:44 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,970 Posts
Launch is with either some minor reflex or a clean trailing edge. Switch to cruise at the top of the launch (2 + mm of camber). Your elevator launch preset switch should give you about 1 or 2 degrees of up elevator. Don't be afraid of banking it over and cranking on the elevator and using its momentum to bank off of bumps and waves. The one thing you will find is its ability to circle in wind. Often with the Encore you had a difficlult time making the turn back into the wind and you lost lots of momentum and altitude doing the turn. With the better penetration of the Validol you can power through the turn back into the wind. When I flew the Neos I realized this and I'll bet you do as well.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:54 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,037 Posts
Craig is your elevator preset on a momentary switch used while your throwing to gain upward pitch, then the switch is released as the DLG leaves your hand?

My CG, and trim has it shooting really straight on launch. I think I'll try getting the elevator on a momentary switch on my SD10g.

My older DLG's would usually be running with the CG nose heavy. With that they would pull up under launch speeds.

I've grown very comfortable with the flight modes they evolved over the years with my JR 9303. Years back I read up on somebody doing something similar with a 9303, and it seemed to make sense for me. These Rudder mixes as flight modes I guess would be better described as flat flight in dead air. For the most part I hardly ever use the two modes.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:08 AM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,037 Posts
I was wondering about the reflex on launch.

It's been a long time since I've done any reading up in the Hand Launch forum here, but during my wrenching on the trims today when I dabbled with the reflex, and amazingly fast ship got even faster, and it seemed like there would be something there.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:59 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,374 Posts
Chris, the airfoils are molded in the speed configuration ("clean"). Adding more reflex may not help any. I doubt you will notice a difference even in launch, but you can try.

I do not have a special launch mode, just launch presets on a switch. A little UP elevator, and a little rudder (actually my launch technique requires quite a bit of rudder preset, but for most people very little is needed). I turn off the launch presets immediately after releasing the model. The wing is in speed mode ("clean") during the entire launch until the push over. Then I flip the camber switch into cruise or thermal mode.

The climb trajectory angle affects the maximum theoretical altitude - the steeper the angle the higher the maximum altitude. But anything over 70-80 degrees becomes uncomfortable and gains nearly nothing. In wind, the trajectory angle needs to be adjusted to a lower value. Otherwise the model will end up behind the pilot at the top of the launch. Although sometimes it is what you want anyway, but then you want to turn back during the launch as the model is still climbing.
olgol is offline Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:06 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Jun 2006
620 Posts
My launch preset is on a hard switch, but a momentary works well too, most seem to prefer it. With the switch engaged, the wing is in cruise camber, and the elevator preset is active. It is significantly more than 1-2 degrees. Launch mode comes out very soon after the model leaves my hand, and the wing reverts to clean (no added reflex).

80mm CG sounds a little aft to me.

If the mixes work for you that's all that matters. In dead air I use my float mode, it will support turning as necessary. No effort is made to keep turns especially flat, coordination is the goal.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploof View Post
Craig is your elevator preset on a momentary switch used while your throwing to gain upward pitch, then the switch is released as the DLG leaves your hand?

My CG, and trim has it shooting really straight on launch. I think I'll try getting the elevator on a momentary switch on my SD10g.

My older DLG's would usually be running with the CG nose heavy. With that they would pull up under launch speeds.

I've grown very comfortable with the flight modes they evolved over the years with my JR 9303. Years back I read up on somebody doing something similar with a 9303, and it seemed to make sense for me. These Rudder mixes as flight modes I guess would be better described as flat flight in dead air. For the most part I hardly ever use the two modes.
Craig Greening is online now Find More Posts by Craig Greening