HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:25 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,039 Posts
I'm also running a little tail heavy so it might be best to avoid the larger diameter steel wire.

I'm sure in the end I'll be perfectly happy with the final product.
ploof is offline Find More Posts by ploof
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:10 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,676 Posts
They look great
rcgeorge is online now Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:56 PM
ET
United States, DE, Hockessin
Joined Apr 2006
686 Posts
Go with the carbon push rods. They are pretty easy to install and by the time you add lead to the nose to offset the weight of the steel rods you will save at least a 1/2 ounce!

Eric
eteet is offline Find More Posts by eteet
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:52 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,676 Posts
You will not save 1/2 oz maybe 1/4oz
rcgeorge is online now Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:32 PM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
686 Posts
Well, I got out my scale, which only weighs down to .1 gram so these might not be very accurate but....

a 36" long, .024" stainless push rod (without the Teflon sheath) is 2.3 grams

a 36" long, .074mm carbon push rod (without the sheath) is only .7 grams

So after you throw some weight in the nose to compensate for the extra tail weight you would probably come out with maybe 6 grams extra if you go stainless. And that's just one push rod. So a savings of 12 grams for two push rods. Not a 1/2 ounce, but close.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:33 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,450 Posts
Yes, its 1g savings for a carbon pushrod vs. a 0.022in steel pushrod, at best. That ignores the fittings for the carbon. Carbon is stiffer and if the teflon is already installed for the 0.032in carbon go with that. You will have a very nice flying plane either way.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:38 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eteet View Post
Well, I got out my scale, which only weighs down to .1 gram so these might not be very accurate but....

a 36" long, .024" stainless push rod (without the Teflon sheath) is 2.3 grams

a 36" long, .074mm carbon push rod (without the sheath) is only .7 grams

So after you throw some weight in the nose to compensate for the extra tail weight you would probably come out with maybe 6 or 7 grams extra if you go stainless. And that's just one push rod. Verrrry interesting.
Your math is close to mine but I found the 0.032in carbon (vs. 0.029in carbon you have) to be closer to 1.1g. Per pushrod installed the difference is ~4g (1g+1g*3 for the c.g effect). I think you can save that weight with careful CA use. I still use carbon on the verticals and lately horizontals (the scratching trick Oleg mentioned is CRITICAL), but a thin steel pushrod will work fine and be slightly easier to install.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:39 PM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
686 Posts
Well, I have to agree with samc99us. Either way it'll be a nice flying plane.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:00 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,978 Posts
I had the stl rods from RC Builder which are the .018 and .014 and they weighed 4g together. I shortened them by 10+% so and with the glue to set them in place and the balsa ramps they added 5.1g to the airframe.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Last edited by davidjensen; Oct 23, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:44 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Jun 2006
620 Posts
Using pull spring in my Validols. With an untrimmed boom took 3g in the nose to balance, trimmed is no added weight.
Craig Greening is online now Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:13 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,173 Posts
Love the colors!!!
More red tips!!

Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploof View Post
Here's another shot
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:49 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,039 Posts
Got it all buttoned up build wise, still have to get the CG situated. I got the L-bend setup to my liking I'll get some pics together tomorrow.

Looks like it might end up right at 10 oz. I'm pretty happy all the surfaces are holding very solid I can just about play the ailerons like a tuning fork.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:12 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,039 Posts
Got it CGed, and the throws programmed, and then Maidened. That's right I got it air born did a couple javelin throws then started letting it do what it needs to do. I could easily sense less drag, and that peg is really cozy even with my big ape fingers. I've got a table saw related scar on both fingers, and this peg was actually more comfortable then my old cylinder style pegs.

As far as my impression of the Validol that thing is a real goer upper. Holy crap even with my poor excuse for a launch its was easily surpassing my old launches

With the CG at 80mm. and the weight at 9.95 oz it flew so incredibly well for just coming out of the box. I still have to properly adjust the landing chamber to elevator mixing to my liking, and maybe put more exponential on the actual elevator controls.

This little creature is seriously smooth, stable, and fast. For it being s little gusty out this evening, it indicates very smoothly, and doesn't get knocked out of the sky it definitely likes to ride the air.

I'm really liking on this Validol. I'm uploading some video to Youtube, and later I'll try imbedding it, and posting some higher quality pics.

Ploof
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:48 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,039 Posts
Pics from today, I'll post some video as soon as it comes up on Youtube.

Ploof
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:53 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,039 Posts
Here's the video of my crappy launch, and some flying with even a little boost of lift.

Validol Maiden (3 min 25 sec)

Ploof