HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
Bartlett, TN
Joined Jan 2002
210 Posts
Nice build Rafe.. Glad you had fun with it.
PaulSwany is offline Find More Posts by PaulSwany
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
And here's the video of the maiden flight..

rafes maiden 003 (3 min 46 sec)
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:46 PM
Pro Bro Gus
Park City, Utah
Joined Mar 2006
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Some further musings... 12 x 6 prop didn't yield appreciably more current consumption than 11 x 7. I'm hitting current limit before I hit power limit, which suggests I need more voltage. So one possibility might be to go with 5S packs. Or expensive high-C packs that won't drop too much voltage under 15C load. I've got a total of 4850 mAh at 4S, but both packs are cheapies rated at 20=25C, and both are well into their life cycles if you know what I mean.

So far I've only measured power-in and current with a wattmeter. Might be useful to take it outside next weekend and try measuring RPM and static thrust as well.

Overall it was an interesting and entertaining build. A bit confusing at first - that root rib barely makes sense 'till you see how the rest of the plane fits around it. The wing is a piece of art, what with the tapered chord and airfoil. The final assembly took some mental prep and nerve. This is definitely not a Mountain Models self-jigging sort of kit, but if you've built a "short" kit over plans, you'll be OK.

If I were to do it again (for e-power) I'd replace the stock motor mount with something an inch or two longer. And find a way to absolutely minimize the weight behind the CG. Maybe with the R/E servos mounted forward, with push-pull linkage. Or maybe covering the aft parts of the plane with ultra-light stuff.
4S 3600-4000mAh, 14x6 14x7 15x6. You need to prop to pull around 85 amps wot.
Servos, at least 80+ in/oz. MG preferably.

I have a Primo 40 kit and this is what it's going to get:

Value Hobby G32
APC 15x6E.
4S 4000mAh nanotech.
ICE 100
JR 8411s on everything
gusgon is offline Find More Posts by gusgon
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:59 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
Watchin'
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Hey gusgon & jake, thanks for looking in. As of last night I've tested with 14x8, a 60A ESC, and the same two 4S batteries I used for the maiden. Pulling 60A easily with the batteries in mid-discharge and yielding 3 kg (6.6 lbs) static thrust.

Placed another HobbyCity order last night. NTM motor, 500 Kv/60A/1300W. 70A ESC. And a pair of 4S/2400maH/35C lipos. The motor Kv is kinda low, so I'm planning on at least 17" prop with that motor.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Primo had a couple of good flights yesterday at the club field, with the bigger prop and ESC. Power appears more than adequate. I'm still getting used to the size and heft of the Primo, it'll take a few more flights before I can abuse it the way I do my smaller profile planes.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
Heft?? Lol. Get bro powa and there will be no heft

You need 12lbs of thrust for a 4.5lbs plane for bro powa. 1/3 throttle to hover it at that.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
We'll see how it works out with fresh batteries and 100A ESC. The very size of the Primo (and the non-detachable wings) means that when Primo comes to the field, some others will be left behind. Unless I find a better way to load my CR-V. I'm dealing with HC right now about cancelling the NTM motor.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:20 PM
Pro Bro Gus
Park City, Utah
Joined Mar 2006
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Hey gusgon & jake, thanks for looking in. As of last night I've tested with 14x8, a 60A ESC, and the same two 4S batteries I used for the maiden. Pulling 60A easily with the batteries in mid-discharge and yielding 3 kg (6.6 lbs) static thrust.

Placed another HobbyCity order last night. NTM motor, 500 Kv/60A/1300W. 70A ESC. And a pair of 4S/2400maH/35C lipos. The motor Kv is kinda low, so I'm planning on at least 17" prop with that motor.
Rafe,

Don't waste your money on the NTM, at 500KV it's a 6S setup. You'll hate it on 4S with a 17" prop.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...g32-800kv.html
gusgon is offline Find More Posts by gusgon
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:48 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
Holy crap rafe, I just looked at your post count and you have 7k sense 09 and I have 6 sense 03!

1 how tha flok did you do that
2 how have we never run into each other before with you posting so much? Lol
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Gus: HC order was cancelled. Will stick with what I've got, plus a larger ESC and maybe a couple of fresh new lipo packs.

Jake: I guess I've been a bit obsessed with the hobby these last few years. Things have been cooling off a bit, of late... quite literally. Too cold and windy these last couple of weeks for any kind of flying. Cold by itself is not a problem, but when it's windy and cold, flying just isn't a lot of fun.

I'm in between projects at the moment and haven't a clue what the next one will be. Just can't decide...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:13 AM
Nederland, Noord-Holland, Krommenie
Joined Nov 2010
421 Posts
Nice video! Loved the music. It looked floaty enough, certainly compared to a warbird
Quagga is offline Find More Posts by Quagga
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:06 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
Slabs ain't no warturds

They are the epic peak of low, slow, persicion and hard core 3D. Nothing compairs to a swany profile.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:14 AM
Bartlett, TN
Joined Jan 2002
210 Posts
Thanks Jake...
PaulSwany is offline Find More Posts by PaulSwany
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:47 AM
Nederland, Noord-Holland, Krommenie
Joined Nov 2010
421 Posts
It looks real good in the air... I'm thinking of a Edge, but this is a whole new world for me
Quagga is offline Find More Posts by Quagga