HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:22 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
861 Posts
I have a muffler with a strpped thread. If you are willing to drill out and tap it it would be fine to use
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
Aliphatic resin applicator
Joined Oct 2012
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microairman1 View Post
someone gave me a used o.s max 46fx today and i need to find a muffler,new glow plugs,and what fuel it uses. Also what can i clean it with cause it has some dirt and stuff on it. I dont know much about glow engines the only engine i have are cox .049. Basiclly anything i will need to get it running. any help would be great. Also if anyone knows of a good piper cub arf or kit that uses this engine that would be great. Thanks
Denatured alcohol cleans well, a toothbrush and this stuff makes it look a lot better too. http://www.toolking.com/mr-metal-707...FQ45nAodO2oARQ
Ace Hardware in my town carries it too.
That OS will run on almost anything, even your Cox fuel, but that's expensive fuel today to use on a .46 from what you're used to for consumption. Just about any run of the mill fuel at your local hobby shop in this secondary power choice (to EP) will work, because they seem to only sell OS these days, and carry a limit of fuel primarily for such an engine as the FX series.

That Tower muffler mentioned isn't going to ever be available again, it's been unavailable for years now. It might perk up an engine a few hundred RPM at the cost of lower tank pressure.

Curious why you want a Piper? Cox seems to be a control line engine tethered to some control lines. RC might be a challenge to you, and a Piper isn't going to be a good trainer. Have you graduated from Trainers yet? I remember my first time (self taught) with a Kadet LT-40 crashing it repeatedly on the runway wondering why it couldn't go vertical like my control line models could!

You might want to know where the idle adjustment is on this engine too. It's not a reed valve, check it out
http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/50sx-...1fx-manual.pdf
329 is offline Find More Posts by 329
Last edited by 329; Nov 12, 2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: pdf link to os manual
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:54 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRookie View Post
Dar,

You are certainly correct.
I am just relating my experience. I use 20% nitro and this seems to work better with the #8 than it does with the #4.

Greg
Greg,

I am assuming you are referring to the Rossi R4, or is it the Enya #4?

Both are the same heat-range as the OS #8; the Enya is also medium-reach, but the Rossi is long-reach.

20% nitro is OK for this engine in stock form; a bit wasteful, though.

Dar
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:26 AM
Minnesota
Joined Sep 2003
265 Posts
I used 20% in my OS 46FX because it was the only glow engine that was not a YS that I was using at the time. I only bought 20/20 fuel so I don't have to haul around two jugs of fuel.
Right now, other than my gas planes, I don't even have a plane that isn't YS powered. YS 140L, 120FZ, 63FZ, 45SE.

Greg
OldRookie is offline Find More Posts by OldRookie
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:42 AM
plane crasher extrordinaire
United States, IL, Waukegan
Joined Sep 2012
490 Posts
oh no i have been flying (lots of crashing too) for almost 5 years now. And never flown a control line plane before(i would like to try though). I am also self taught in the art of flying. But what about fuel tank pressure is it bad for it not to be? Again i only do electrics, .049's and sailplanes so i dont know too much about this larger stuff. Thanks guys
microairman1 is offline Find More Posts by microairman1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined Jul 2007
42 Posts
Should you ever need a replacement piston and sleeve see the following link. Unlike the cheap ABN OS piston and sleeve for ninety bucks the ASP is true ABC and of higher quality for less then twenty dollars. Many of those ABN sleves in the FX 46 engines peeled like a banana. The ASP set is a drop in replacement

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...iston_Set.html
celltech is offline Find More Posts by celltech