HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by hammer22, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, NH, Exeter
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
Trader Rating: 25
Sold
DSM2-DSMX transmitter modules for Hitec Aurora 9/Optic 6/ Eclipse 7/Futaba radios

Edit 1/4/2013: I have A9/Eclipse/Optic/Futaba modules available again. Finally got my parts order. I have had to raise the price to $95.00 due to the parts costing more but that still includes free shipping to the US and Canada. But for overseas shipping, just add $5.00 more. Thanks to those who have purchased one and I look forward to many more happy customers.

I am selling custom made 100% DSM2/DSMX compatible transmitter modules for use with Hitec Aurora 9, Optic 6, Prism 7 or other module based Hitec radios. These modules are 100% completely DSM2 and DSMX compatible and are able to transmit in either the original DSM2 protocol or in the frequency hopping DSMX protocol. Switching between modes is quick and easy using the transmitter throttle stick and the bind button on the module. I am asking $95 shipped to US and Canada (USPS first class w/delivery confirmation). I will ship internationally for an additional $5 via USPS first class mail.

Disclaimer: This is not a Spektrum brand module and does not contain any Horizon Hobby or Spektrum parts. This module is custom designed with custom firmware and built using a 2.4GHz RF module based on the proven Cypress CYRF6936 2.4GHz DSSS radio chip, the same RF chip used in all Spektrum radio equipment. This same RF module is used by another popular RC radio equipment manufacturer in their FCC certified transmitters.

The module firmware has been updated to be able to send 9 channels in DSMX mode. There are actually 3 transmit modes in the module:

DSM2 - Sends up to 9 channels and is compatible with any DSM2/DSMX receiver.
DSMX-7 - Sends only 7 channels and works with any DSMX receiver.
DSMX-9 - Sends 9 channels but works only with DSMX receivers of 8 channels or more like the AR8000 or AR9020.

This module is 100% functionally equivalent to the Spektrum DM8/9 module in DSM2 mode and converts your transmitter to DSM2. But it also adds DSMX.

This is a full range module with an average RF output power level of +20dBm.

This module is designed to accept up to 9 PPM channels. It is configured for the Hitec/Futaba channel order (A.E.T.R.). It will re-arrange the channels to match the JR/Spektrum channel order (T.A.E.R) thereby making your Hitec transmitter able to control the popular Bind-N-Fly micro aircraft.

The firmware in this module has been extensively tested with a wide variety of DSM2/DSMX Spektrum receivers including the AR6400 micro brick RX used in the popular Eflite and Parkzone micro aircraft, AR400, AR600, AR7000, AR6110, AR8000, AR9000, AR6210 and HK Orange 6 channel receiver.

Key Features:
- Protocol - DSM2 or DSMX mode.

- Easy to switch between modes using throttle stick and bind button.

- Compatible with any DSM2 or DSMX receiver, including DSM2/DSMX Bind-N-Fly micro aircraft and helicopters and the Hobby King line of Orange DSM2 compatible receivers.

- Resolution - DSM2 - 10 bit. DSMX - 11 bit.

- Maximum number of channels transmitted:
DSM2 mode - 9 channels.
DSMX-7 mode - 7 channels.
DSMX-9 mode - 9 channels.

- RF output power: +20dBm.

- Power input voltage range: 5 - 15 volts.

- PPM signal voltage: 5V to 12V

- Exact fit Hitec transmitter case for correct fit in Hitec module based transmitters.

- Informative status LED that does more than just tell you if power is on.

- 14 day money back return policy if not satisfied.

Some buyer comments from my JR module:

Bob Y., TX:
Flew my new Beast BNF today with your module. Binds fast and works great. Can't attest to range as I'm flying a micro size plane and keep it close in. The range check was great, went out past 40 paces on low power with no problems.

Roy L., NJ
I flew your module in a JR 8103 tx today in dsmx mode. It was an E-Flite Taylorcfaft, Park 480 motor, Spektrum 7010 rx. Ground checking @ 30 pacesin low output & walking all around the plane was solid. I had five perfect flites. No issues at all. flew the plane as far out as I could see. Please note that there was another fellow flying spektrum dsm2 @ the same time.

Mathew F., CA:
I have tested your transmitter module and it works flawlessly with the micros I fly. Haven't really tested it long range with these little planes, but it's perfect for what I needed.

Please PM me if you are interested.

I also still have some JR type modules for sale for the same price with the same capabilities. Please see the following thread for more info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1669239

The fine print:

Added 8/16: The Aurora 9 needs to be in PPM-N or PPM-P mode.

The antenna is not able to pivot side to side but it does move up and down on the 90 degree elbow. Please do not attempt to force the antenna to move side to side.
hammer22 is offline Find More Posts by hammer22
Last edited by hammer22; Jan 05, 2013 at 12:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Would this work in a 9x?
Gavinxman is offline Find More Posts by Gavinxman
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
The module for the A9 will not fit in a 9X but I do have JR type modules that will fit in the 9X. However, based on the experience of someone who bought a JR module from me, you will have to the replace the pins in the 9X module socket with longer ones. Some soldering skills are required to do this. I can supply a set of longer pins with the JR module.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:06 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,544 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
I purchased one of these from Hammer22. Great communication and quick shipping. It is a very nice looking unit and it comes with good written instructions. I bound it to a HK orange rx and it was very easy to do.

Thanks Hammer.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:52 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,369 Posts
Trader Rating: 48
Hammer,

I'm very interested but the budget is a bit tight now. Are you planning on continuing to produce these?
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
Absolutely. I'm going to work on another batch right now.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Dec 2004
0 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Do you have a module that will fit the Futaba 9Z W2 transmitter? If so how much and how do I go about purchasing one?
skybeater is offline Find More Posts by skybeater
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
skybeater,
This module will fit the 9Z.

Sorry, I did not answer your other questions. $85.00 is the price shipped to CONUS. Please add and additional $10.00 for additional postage if you are ouside the USA . Please PM me if you are interested and I'll send you my paypal address.
Last edited by hammer22; Oct 29, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:48 AM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,228 Posts
Trader Rating: 9
How much for the one for the optic6 that is compatible with dsm2?
nightfox7 is online now Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, CA
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Has anyone gotten this to work with a Turnigy 9x/er9x? What are the options you've used in the er9x menu?

I'm trying to bind with a HobbyZone RTF plane, but it won't bind (the plane's bind LED keeps flashing). I did set the module to DSM2 and chose DSM2 as a protocol.
rcdw is offline Find More Posts by rcdw
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Nov 2012
0 Posts
module

hello i am trying to get my hands on the dsmx adaptor for my aurora 9 tx. can you let me know when you have one available?
fwl195 is offline Find More Posts by fwl195
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:32 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,544 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
To those interested in his units try sending him a PM. He was very responsive to my PM's.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
Fwl195,
Please PM me and I'll give you my paypal address.

rcdw,
I sent you an email. I'll wait for your reply
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:09 PM
United States, CA
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer22 View Post
rcdw,
I sent you an email. I'll wait for your reply
It's working now. Thanks for your email and the offer to replace the module in case it seems something is wrong with it. The problem was in the radio programming . Excellent customer service anyway.

For other er9x users:
I had to set the protocol to PPM (not DSM), the channel setup to 4 channels (that's all I needed for my plane) and also to change the channel order (which is a bit hidden under "templates")
rcdw is offline Find More Posts by rcdw
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
rcdw,
Thanks for the update. I think the DSM2/DSMX modes in the er9x firmware are for use with the little transmitter module from a Spectrum DX4e or DX5e (AMTX11 or AMTX10). Glad to see you figured it out and keep it under mach 1.