HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Chris, where online is a store with a "buy" button for SS1000?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:25 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,289 Posts
Check out wowplanes.com and look for liquid sheeting. It's about $20.00 US, for 8 oz. A little research shows that this is the same stuff as Styrospray (SS1000), I think. But check it out. Went thru a couple of threads on RCUniverse.

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:49 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Price for SS1000 is $31 for a 2 quart kit (64 oz). I don`t think it`s the same stuff. If it is, Wowplanes is marking it up about 600%. It looks like you just have to call the number on the SS web site and order the old fashion way. Just google Styrospray and it`s right at the top.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:05 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
I built the flying surface assy this evening. This whole thing will be attached at 5 hard points with teeny tiny screws. Looks like the weight of the airframe will be at about 42g (1.5oz) before the finish is applied.

The two servos will be installed on the assy, pushrods/horns will be on the top side, and will be concealed by the upper fuselage. If I add a rudder, that horn and a little bit of pushrod will be out in the breeze, otherwise, it will be completely clean.

More pics.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Oct 28, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:29 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
One other note. When I had the foam flying surfaces on it, I did some test glides to sort out the cg. The weight at that point was 28g. This thing had a glide like it was on a rail. So, straight and true it was cool. I`ve done a lot of chuck glider tests over the years, there was something special about this one. I know that sounds stupid, but that`s how it felt.

One interesting bonus to working with these micro jets. You don`t have to build a mini chuck glider to test cg. It is it`s own chuck glider.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Future 90mm version

I can sure see building a 90/100mm version of this bird at some future date.
300% would be 57" length and 46.5" span, that would be a good size and easy to scale up.

Then at 400% ....76" length and 62" span would work well for a strong 120mm.

All I need is time and money.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:41 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
200% ....38" and 31" for a 56/64mm .....and 250% ......47.5" length and 38.5" span for a 70/80mm
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:22 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,743 Posts
that is killer Lee!!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:28 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Thanks Brent, I should have a fan here by Tuesday. I think this is going to be a fast little bugger.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:03 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
723 Posts
Industrial polimers. Com

For styrospray..same thing as liquid sheeting......yes they mark it up like crazy..they tried to hide what LS was for a time but the detectives on here figured it out......lol..
Dave,
There is no buy button...you have to call to order..if they will not send to you just shoot me a pm..
It takes a week or so for them to ship after you order as they stay backed up...
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Last edited by Hover or die; Oct 29, 2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:47 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
I have some of that LS here... what's it's shelf life?

I used it once on a test piece and it looked a mess so it's been in the cupboard ever since.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:45 PM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
723 Posts
Dave,
Im not sure if you have the old stuff or the new..i think it goes by LS2 now..
If this is what you have then im sure its the same..If yours is not the "2" then its probably something they came up with early on in designing this stuff..
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
I think I have the first bucket of slop that came out....
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:37 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Working out some details

Because I want concealed controls I`ve had to work out some details. I`ve used a mock up again to test hinges, pushrods and control horn/torque rods. Here are some detail shots. The work is ugly, because it has been done and redone several times. The actual model will be somewhat neater. I hope

The hinges are spider wire stiffened with thin ca. Those work very well with no slop, and are easy to do. I`ll show them later.

The torquerod and pushrod are made from .030 music wire. The heatshrink is 3/32" before shrinking and is readily available just about anywhere. The super small stuff used on many micros is hard to find, I guess it has to be ordered.

The spider wire is the 12lb test braided fiber type, not braided steel.

Here are some pics. I`ll be glad to provide more details if someone wants it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:18 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,552 Posts
knife,
your sport jet is looking very nice. On a model of this small size you might consider eliminating your brass tube... assuming the toque rod is well secured to the control surface. This will make construction easier, reduces the load on the servo, and eliminates geometry issues if you decide to hinge on the top skin.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg