HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:01 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
I know mate. It's all good. I'm just thinking that with all of the power in that latest 30mm of yours, it's time for a really sleek and sexy jet to put it in. At the cost of a little weight, I'm going to see what I can come up with.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:28 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
I hear ya. I'm going to wind one more, just a little hotter, and see if I can crack 250g static thrust on 3S.

Lucky for me I have some newly developed lipo's coming my way to test (once made) which will be perfect for the job/amp draw.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:44 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
I hear ya. I'm going to wind one more, just a little hotter, and see if I can crack 250g static thrust on 3S.

Lucky for me I have some newly developed lipo's coming my way to test (once made) which will be perfect for the job/amp draw.
What`s a good source for the motor? I see them for $26, but then I think, might as well pay a little more and get a whole jet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:54 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
OK, the other side only took about 30 min to shape. Since I had one to look at and the "designing" was all done it went faster. I`ve tack glued it together in order to fine tune the match between the sides. I`m pretty happy with the results for a prototype. Lots of possibilities here.

I broke the nose off of my #1 this evening trying to fly it in gusty 15mph winds. So while it was off I stuck it on the front just to get an idea of how it will look. Not bad. The new nose will be a little different and I need to figure the fsa so that I can keep the intakes from being over sized. I can adjust their size by changing the width of the nose section.

So far so good!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Oct 24, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:35 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
I know, the price sucks. If you do buy a whole jet - rip out the electronics and throw the foam away - that's what I did to get these motors I have been rewinding!... (well, I gave the frames away).

If it makes you feel better, I pay up to 45 bucks for motors for my 30mm EDF experiments, most of which ends up in my experiment collection on the shelf.

You'll have to decide what fan size and what motor you are going to use so you can calculate the FSA up front.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:06 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
I just ordered a SA Mig-29, so I'll get 2 fan/ motors and esc. I will probably set the airframe up as a pusher and sell it at the LHS to recover some of the cost so I'll only have $25 or so in each fan.

Nitro, do you know off hand the fsa of the Sky Angel 35mm with the outrunner is?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:21 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
32mm diameter for 100% FSA. The motor will load up at that though. I reduced the 35mm Hawk's intakes to that and I could notice a drop in rpm's due to the loading. Mind you - I did not have a smooth intake line like yours will have and the Hawk is a very draggy frame.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:03 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
Slowly building the fuselage while I`m waiting on my fans. I decided to use mostly balsa for the front section. I think it may hold up to my "landings" better than foam.

I can`t attach the rear deck until the fan and motor wires are in place.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:15 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
Got a nose on it. I`m going with a taller, more narrow nose section than #1 had so that the larger 3s lipos will fit. 350mah to 500mah 3s is what I plan to use. I`ve also worked out a plan for all internal controls. I`m still using the #1 canopy at this point. Weight as shown is 21g. Solid balsa nosecone.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:05 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
This is just a mock up using some parts left over from another experiment. Not exactly how it will end up, but it will be a lot like this. All of the flying surfaces will be balsa. 1/8" wings, 3/32' stab, 1/16" vertical.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:28 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Looking nice Lee.

I'd make the vertical 3/32" too - just for that little bit of extra strength.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:07 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
Fuselage ready to cover and paint

Thanks David! Oops, I`ve already got the vertical done.

These little baby jets make me feel like a proud dad. So I`m spending as much time taking pics as I am building LOL.

So here it is ready to cover and paint. I even installed a magnet latch. This thing is not going to have anything hanging out in the breeze and no tape holding it together.

Weight as shown is 22g. I hope to keep the bare airframe at 45 to 50g with a finish on it. We`ll see.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:30 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
The wind finally died down below 10mph this evening so I got a couple of flights in with the #1 propjet. It flies well at130g (12g of that is nose ballast) and is pulling about 45w on 3s, using 180mah Nano-tech 25c cells. With the weight I`m running up front, I could add another 3s 180 and run them in parallel. The 370mah cells that I have won`t fit because they are flat and wide.

It flies well with only the large tailerons except that it won`t roll to the right because of the torque of the prop. And I have to pull the power back some when I want to turn right LOL. I need to add a little right thrust. Prop-jets do have their draw backs for sure.

My Mig-29 is supposed to show up on Tuesday, so the new jet will Really be a jet. Should have the airframe completed by the time the fan shows up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:58 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
Final wing and stab pattern/mockup. More pics.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:03 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Lee,
The styrospray does not add much weight with the firs and second coats and makes the little fuse 10x as strong as the bare foam..ive done some experiments checking weight and it is negligible for the strenth it adds...
Im really surprised more foam builders are not using styrospray..
What you use to apply it with makes all the difference..the foam brushes work but only put on a super thin coat.using a quality brush i find is best..all the streaks fade right out after 2 or 3 minutes and leaves a smooth thicker coat that dries to a hard plastic..The best part of this stuff is its self leveling capabilities..stuff is incredible and can be sanded with a vib sander when cured to fix any flaws..incredibly strong stuff..i think 2 coats is easily equal to a layer of 2 oz glass but much lighter..
All of my big foamies are now covered and you can say goodbye to 95% of hagar rash..also very cool is the leading edge of a depron wing cannot even be dented with a fingernail..i see you use balsa leading edges but with SS the leading edges can take a huge amount of abuse with no damage..
Take care,you will be super happy im sure..............Chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die