Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:20 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,969 Posts
Yes it`s a lot of fun to fly. Easy to launch and can be flown and landed in a fairly small area. Funny, it`s starting to seem slow on 3s. Speed absolutely has all of the qualities of a drug. You build up a tolerance and you always need more to feed the addiction.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:33 AM
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
361 Posts
Yeah that's true!

Flown a mini viper jet on 3cells at one 3x2 gws prop but that became slow after a few weeks so I tried the 3x3 gws but the 200c res. 5800kv motor doesn't like that

Now the voodoo's got my attention so I'm searching for the real speed :-)

400km/h or faster is what I like but I think the voodoo wil be fast enough
robertboxhoorn is offline Find More Posts by robertboxhoorn
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:22 PM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
214 Posts
Lee,
I've got a 64mm fan with Dons RC wicked out runner.. 4000kv. Has anyone scaled up your Nanospot to that size? Any suggestions?

I was going to try a flying wing design for the EDF...but really like the success you've had with this.

Paul
plasoneal is offline Find More Posts by plasoneal
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:26 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,969 Posts
Hi Paul, I hope you give one a try. I`ve built a 70mm version There are build pics in the 70mm speed contest thread. I still haven`t flown it. I`m working on just the right fan/motor/lipo combo to push it past 200mph. That`s the plan anyway.

Let me know if you need any additional info. I`ll try to help. Also, if you give it a try, please feel free to post your progress and results here if you`d like.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2014, 07:56 AM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
214 Posts
Lee:
Thanks for the quick reply! Obviously you've made a few design changes in the 70mm version. I'm 99% sure I'm going to build this, but I've never really built with foam before. So I've got some learning to do. Since you haven't test flown it yet perhpas you don't know exactly, but any ideas regarding:

Overall dimenions for your 70mm version?
Where the CG should be?
Elevon throw rates?
Addition of a functional rudder (for screaming knife-edges!)?
Thrust line for the EDF... straight on, or does it need a little postive angle?

Finally... I'm a bit concerned about breaking off that beautifully sculptured nose in a larger bird & grass landing. Any thoughts about making the nose "break-away" with magnets & pins ... kinda like the nose on the newer Stryker?

Truly final.... I have the joy of flying off a paved runway. So to avoid that first "hand toss" launch I'm thinking about a "very low profile" tricycle gear setup, possibly removable via magnets & guide pins. Kinda like [again] the nose wheel on a Stryker with two wheels back on the wing... non steerable. Any thoughts on that?

If you're looking for guidance on a power system, I'd really suggest you contact Don's RC at donsrc.com. His "Wicked EDF" combos are... absolutely wicked. If you tell him the weight of your model and your desired speed and fan size, he will give you recommendations for building a specific combo from his options. He includes dynamic balancing of the motor & fan for just $10 more.

Paul
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:07 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,969 Posts
I'll post some info this weekend.

I don't think Don sells anything in the 4kw and up category.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:33 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Yes it`s a lot of fun to fly. Easy to launch and can be flown and landed in a fairly small area. Funny, it`s starting to seem slow on 3s. Speed absolutely has all of the qualities of a drug. You build up a tolerance and you always need more to feed the addiction.
Explaining exactly why Many of us ride Crotch Rockets and those with adequate coin extend to buying buy 500 hp 'sports' cars :-)
Big Money in a 'religious experience' on demand, at the cracking of a throttle
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:52 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasoneal View Post
Lee:
Thanks for the quick reply! Obviously you've made a few design changes in the 70mm version. I'm 99% sure I'm going to build this, but I've never really built with foam before. So I've got some learning to do. Since you haven't test flown it yet perhpas you don't know exactly, but any ideas regarding:

Overall dimenions for your 70mm version?
Where the CG should be?
Elevon throw rates?
Addition of a functional rudder (for screaming knife-edges!)?
Thrust line for the EDF... straight on, or does it need a little postive angle?

Finally... I'm a bit concerned about breaking off that beautifully sculptured nose in a larger bird & grass landing. Any thoughts about making the nose "break-away" with magnets & pins ... kinda like the nose on the newer Stryker?

Truly final.... I have the joy of flying off a paved runway. So to avoid that first "hand toss" launch I'm thinking about a "very low profile" tricycle gear setup, possibly removable via magnets & guide pins. Kinda like [again] the nose wheel on a Stryker with two wheels back on the wing... non steerable. Any thoughts on that?

If you're looking for guidance on a power system, I'd really suggest you contact Don's RC at donsrc.com. His "Wicked EDF" combos are... absolutely wicked. If you tell him the weight of your model and your desired speed and fan size, he will give you recommendations for building a specific combo from his options. He includes dynamic balancing of the motor & fan for just $10 more.

Paul
Well all I`ve got for you at this point is 36" length and 32" span with a zero degree thrust line. I`ll have to get back to you with the rest of the numbers after I`ve flown it successfully.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2014, 03:30 PM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
214 Posts
64mm Build

OK... I've been out of touch for a while. But I have started work on a scaled-up version of this little demon. A lot of photos aren't available to me at the moment, but here's where I stand.

I decided to start first on the EDF nacelle. After talking with the maker of my existing EDF, I opt'd to build an actual nacelle with thrust tube to match the design specs of the motor versus just mounting a naked EDF unit. The motor by the way is a 64mm "Wicked" outrunner from DonsRC. This is also consistent with the original drawings posted above which show a pretty significant thrust tube. I should be able to get into the 100 mph range with this if I do a good job with the design, so at best it might match the speed of the original nanospot... but it probably isn't going to be breaking any new ground regarding sheer speed.

I've never really done custom building from foam before, so I've had to do some trial and error with various equipment and techniques.

In my next post, I'll provide some photos and further details but for now:

-I first made a mounting collar, with built up 1/32 ply and balsa rings to match the leading and trailing ends of the EDF unit, with a foam filler in-between. This should give me a solid mounting solution.

-Using a combination of heat and cutting tools on a make-shift lathe (sideways positioned drill press) I have a fairly well formed outer shell of the nacelle, which has been hollowed out to allow the above "mounting collar" (described above) to be inserted as well as to provide a thrust tube to match the outlet diameter recommended for my unit.

-I made a couple "oops" in this first attempt, so I haven't fully decided whether to work through the surface defects or whether to toss that one over for experience and then do it again.

-Either way, I think the outer shell of the nacelle is going to need to be hardened/reinforced as it is going to be pretty easily damaged in its current state. Being a tapered shape, I'm not sure how to do this "nicely". I came across one post for covering foam with light glass & spray adhesive. I think that would be strong enough, but with the tapered nacelle I don't know how well the finish would turn out (because of trying to cut/fit the glass cloth).

-In the one photo attached, the overall shape was cut and the paper rings shown were later used to guide my "hot" cutting.

-Any ideas would be appreciated. though obviously that might make more sense after seeing more of the photos....

-For the wing, I plan to build a foam core airfoil with a very light balsa covering, probably 1/32 or perhaps 1/16. haven't decided on paint vs covering, but leaning towards a covering for added strength. I'll finalize the wing dimensions once I get the fuse built along with the nacelle mounted, so I can better calculate wing load and rough CG considerations.

I'm going to do my best to replicate the original design as closely as possible, but I think I'm going to make one fundamental adjustment. In order to maximize battery compartment size and to help protect the nacelle & EDF inlet from ground debris and landing damage, I plan on moving the wing to the bottom of the fuse, in such a way that the nacelle sits just on top of the wing. Using a battery "standing on its side" I can keep a narrow profile fuse while still allowing for a good sized battery compartment.

I realize this will cause some shift in the trust line but I think it will be prudent in this size of a model. Without gear on it, I really don't want that nacelle "down in the dirt" on every landing.

Finally, I have rough drawn a scaled up version of the side profile. I did this by displaying the PDF provided above on my flat screen TV, and then scaled it up until I could get enough room to physically hold my planned battery. My planned battery by the way is a 4s 3250 to 4000 mah battery. Once sized, I just traced the plans onto paper taped to my TV (accomplished before my wife got back home).

I can give final dimensions once I settle on them, but for perspective this puts the wing core on the current drawing at about 14 inches at the fuse, and the overall length of my nacelle is pretty spot on to the scaled up drawing, although the nacelle is a bit wider/taller in overall diameter.

So... that's where I stand for the moment. Progress will probably be slower than others' build threads, as I don't have endless "build time". But I'll upload more photos and details as I'm able.

In the end I plan to re-post a scale-able PDF of all my parts & pieces.

Paul

P.S. Don't think I can quite call this one a "nano" spot--- but I'm looking for creative suggestions!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:46 PM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
214 Posts
Video of Nacelle Formation

Ok... after 2 nights of video editing (and giving up on Movie Maker) here's an overview of my nacelle formation.

Foam Cutting of a Nacelle for EDF (Electric Ducted Fan) (0 min 14 sec)

I'll probably do this again, but the end product wasn't too bad for my very first attempt.

Paul

ok... should have checked the video first... this didn't export the whole thing. I'll update tomorrow hopefully with a more complete video.
Last edited by plasoneal; Mar 25, 2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 05:12 PM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
214 Posts
Corrected Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasoneal View Post
Ok... after 2 nights of video editing (and giving up on Movie Maker) here's an overview of my nacelle formation.

I'll probably do this again, but the end product wasn't too bad for my very first attempt.

Paul
Still bad video... 3rd try coming soon...
Last edited by plasoneal; Apr 01, 2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 09:21 AM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
214 Posts
OK... here's the final video...

Foam Cutting of a Nacelle for EDF (Electric Ducted Fan)-Final Video (7 min 52 sec)

Sorry for any delays.

If you have any guidance on how I could have done things better, feel free to let me know. I do plan to rework this nacelle, as I'm not real happy with the internal airflow design. I'll probably cut it in 2-3 layers first, then assemble the final product. right now part of the venturi design is actually occurring in the area of the outrunner... I think it will be more efficient to keep a straight tube in place until AFTER the outrunner... then kick in the venturi reduction. I'll have to work with independent layers to better accomplish that given the limited tools I have to work with.

Paul
Old Apr 01, 2014, 07:21 AM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
214 Posts
64mm Build Update

OK... making some progress.

I did start over on the nacelle, and have a rather good start. I'm cutting the length down to 3 layers of foam, rather than four, and adjusting the internal airflow design to be "straight" until it gets past the outrunner. Final layer will reduce the flow to the diameter quoted by the motor mfg. First two are cut...one more to go.

The fuse is started. yes, the trailing edge of the fuse will be cut-out yet, but I wanted to form the bend and let it set up good before I cut out the half-moon shape.

Obviously much more to come, but starting to look like something.

Paul
Last edited by plasoneal; Apr 01, 2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: typo corrections
Old Apr 01, 2014, 03:31 PM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
214 Posts
Airfoil Design

Ok... I'm getting myself perhaps more confused than necessary, but I've been looking a lot at airfoil designs. Any experts out there? Or even good practitioners?

I've found a lot of opinions out there... and tools... and.... and...

Bottom line I think I'm looking towards an NACA 0004 which if understand it correct is:
-fully Symmetrical
-max chord thickness @ 30%
-max chord @ 4% of length.

An excel chart of the actual coordinates is attached ... (see the first sheet) or you can just reference the JPG. (actually guess the system doesn't like me attaching the EXCEL file. Coordinates are available if you like... just let me know.)

With an estimated 14 inch chord length, the 4% wing will give me just over 1/2 inch thickness (at max) to embed aileron servos.

I plan to cut foam cores, and apply very light balsa sheeting... possibly as thin as 1/32 or max 1/16.

Finally, I plan to finish my fuselage, determine the rough CG point of that, and then play around with final wing dimensions, sweep, tip length, etc to find the sweet spot for wing loading and CG adjustments within the battery tray area I've designed.

Any suggestions to core design or my approach is greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 05, 2014, 08:15 PM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
214 Posts
Fuselage progress

Here is where I stand. Fuselage is right at 24 inches to the front of the EDF.

Starting to look like something at least!

Paul
Last edited by plasoneal; Apr 06, 2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Typos