RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:59 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,493 Posts
Update on my motor replacement.

I got the new fan/motor all assembled and ready to install in the jet. Decided to do a few test runs to make sure everything was good before putting it in.

First run went fine, with very strong thrust. When I ran it up again, it faltered and the motor smoked. SOB!!

I took it apart and found that one of the windings came out from between the stator teeth and so it rubbed on the rotating bell until the insulation was gone and it shorted out.

My new high quality #29 wire is due to show up on Monday, so I`m going to wait on it and rewind the motor with that.

I was hoping to get some 4s flights tomorrow, but now it will have to wait until next week.

So I`m going to start my 70mm sized build tomorrow instead. When I get the thread started I`ll do a link here, for those who are interested in a larger version of the Nanospot.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
That helps knife. It looks like it was originally a super bandit? Did you just remove the two intake sides and then extend the fuesalage from where the 2 sides join at the rear back?

Edit: Nevermind. Looking at the finished pictures I see you just shortened the airframe from what it originally was.

Edit 2: I'm trying to decide what would be a good size for both a 70mm version, as well as a 50g pusher version on 3s. Also, for the 2 drawings you posted (the top view /and side view), are those both drawn to the same scale? or do I need to size up each drawing differently? A top view of the full fusealage from nose to tail would also be helpful, to get the correct size for the top/side view of the nose, and also the bottom piece that runs from the front of the canopy back. For your canopy, did you use formers and fill it with foam and then sand?
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Last edited by stingeragents; Dec 16, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:03 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Thanks Dave, I`m currently cramming the gear in it.

You know, you check it for space early and have it all planned out. Then on final assembly, all of the gear grows by a millimeter or two and the airframe shrinks about the same amount.
Oh so true! Thanks for my morning chuckle. Just glad i'm not the only one this happen too.
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:08 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_FAST View Post
Oh so true! Thanks for my morning chuckle. Just glad i'm not the only one this happen too.
Yep, I`ve never been able to figure it out. Of course I forgot to mention that everything gets a few grams heavier too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
I did some cropping of your 2 drawings and also converted them to pdf. Adobe X allows you to easily scale and tile pages so thats why i converted them.

Edit: So I have a copy of steve's super bandit edf plan. In looking at it, and doing some comparisons, it seems the main difference between the two is your sleeker canopy, as well as the LE of the wing has a less steep angle to give it a larger wing area. The wing is obviously also repositioned. The tail and everything else though seems like it will match up real nicely. I think I'm gonna print out his plans for 100% version, and modify the canopy/wings based off your design and combine the two. Should in theory work out fairly well. If I can get your wing template to the same size scale as the 100% steve's plans, i'll just use yours but if not i'm gonna have to measure the angle of your wing and draw that part from scratch. I think this will be one of my more difficult builds as I rarely modify anyones plans as that isn't my strong suit.

Edit 2: Just checked my tracking and my new motors will be in tomorrow, so I gotta get this build going. The motor weighs 61g and will be using a 3s 800 mah batt. I wonder if that will be too small. Its the only 3s batt I got. I have all kinds of 4s batts but i'll only be able to use like a 4x4 prop otherwise I'm gonna burn it. Looking at the design, I'm gonna have to make a couple other modifications to get the prop to clear the vertical stab. Instead of cutting the fuesalage short of it like you did, I may just run it all the way back to the end of the stab. In addition to this plane, I have 2 other builds I need to get done. So many planes, so little time.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Last edited by stingeragents; Dec 16, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:36 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
I did some cropping of your 2 drawings and also converted them to pdf. Adobe X allows you to easily scale and tile pages so thats why i converted them.
Thanks for converting the files. I`m sure that will help others to use the plans and adjust them to their needs.

I just read your additional comments about your ideas. It sounds interesting. Please feel free to post some pics of your progress.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:01 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,493 Posts
My new magnet wire finally showed up yesterday. It was about 3 days behind schedule due to the Christmas rush of mail I`m sure.

The #29 that I got from Gobrushless.com is a little larger than I expected. It`s almost as big as the #28 that I have, but the #29 is quality, high temp stuff. The plan was to put 7 turns on the motor and run it on 3s or 4s, but on my first attempt there wasn`t quite enough room and the winding ended up shorting out on the bell.

I decided to try 6 turns, and see how it would run on 3s. The result is a motor that pulls 16a at a full 11v for about 175w and pushes a full 200g of thrust . I`m running a 4s 18a Hobby Wing esc, so that won`t be a problem and the 450mah cells will be hitting about 35c at full power, so that should be OK too. Hopefully the motor will handle the power.

The AUW on 3s 450mah is about 4.5oz, so with 7oz of thrust the performance should be ballistic to say the least.

The first foam Nanospot hit 88mph with the fan putting out only about 140g of thrust. So with 50% more thrust and the increased efflux speed, I`m hoping to do 100mph+ with this one.

The weather forecast for the next few days is pretty good, so I hope to get in some good flights with video and some smokin` hot passes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:38 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,493 Posts
100MPH+ on RCSpeedo....on 3s 450mah

I got up early this morning and got some flights in before the wind gets up.

Early tests on the 3s motor are very promising! Looks like I may have the first sub 40mm edf to break 100mph.

I understand that this isn`t anything official at this point, but I wanted to share the news. The weather is forecast to improve over the next two days, so I`ll work on getting some good video to document the speeds.

This thing is very quiet and so my passes not only have to be straight and level in both directions, but I also have to be in very close to pick up the sound. So it will be tricky, but that`s part of the game. You`ve got to be able to point it in the right direction LOL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Dec 22, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:55 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,293 Posts
Simply SMOKING!!!
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:00 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
Simply SMOKING!!!
Thanks, bud. Yep it is quite a rush.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:04 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,493 Posts
Some trim color

After the successful flights this morning, and needing a little more contrast for better visibility, I decided to add some trim color. It`s not the best paint job, but at 100mph it will look fine
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:12 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,558 Posts
Great job with this project Lee! Black and yellow are very good contrasting colors and will definitely be helpful when video taping passes from both directions .
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:14 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
man thats slick lee!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,493 Posts
Trying to post video

Nanospot micro jet 3s/150w (3 min 2 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Dec 23, 2012 at 04:28 PM.