HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:55 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,151 Posts
I have the same exact rudder servo problem too. It doesnt affect flight performance, but it is really annoying.

-joker
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Last edited by joker24458; Feb 13, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:15 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 0 View Post
The MV is almost a month old however my son has taken instantly to becoming a stunt pilot. He was getting inverted within a week of flying. I snapped a prop shaft on my inverted attempts when I left too little room to pull out of it. By inverted, I really mean taking it to the top of the gym and starting a dive then going inverted as long as possible before rolling out of it.
Inverted ! that's cool I'm only just getting my MV to loop, I could get the Mk 1 vapor inverted but the wing warped all over the place making the flight pattern highly random but just now and then I could go the length of the gym inverted. I'm flying the MV at home so space for aerobatics is very limited

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:06 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
My mini is starting to have servo problems on rudder locking up. I cleaned it, but now it is back. Ughhhh.

J
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:20 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
hey guys is the 5um thick clear mylar the way to go for thickness on the wing? That comes out to 0.00020 inches and I think a carbon butterfly uses .00025. They have all the way down to 2um.

http://www.homefly.com/products.asp?id=31
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:32 PM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,067 Posts
Nitrofevr had posted a mod recommending the Micro Citabria prop swap......well I just did. WOW!! What a difference it made! From mild mannered Cluck Trent to Super Vapor! Took her outside for a quick test flight and it left my hand like a cat on fire ( okay NOT on fire...I like cats....more like a wet cat) and it quickly climbed up 200 plus feet even in a very light breeze. Best mod yet for mine. The little spinner looks sweet on it but I took it off and think it improved performance just a teeny bit more. Here's the switch and prop comparison.

I didn't bother with a video but will tomorrow if there's interest.

Now having done this.....has anyone changed the pitch on the 125 X 39 original slow fly prop by heating and twisting it? The Micro Citabria #'s are 100 X 60.
Just wondering if it has been done with the result being symmetrical and balanced. Or if a jig of some sort was used to achieve the balance.
Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:39 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
372 Posts
I tried this prop a while ago as I happened to have have bought one when I got an extra vapor prop two or three years ago. I actually didn't like it for indoor use as it made the mini faster than I like (and too little thrust for its big brother). I can see how it might be just fine outdoors though. As I recall, the props were quite inexpensive though I haven't checked to see if they're still available
speakertoanimals is offline Find More Posts by speakertoanimals
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:02 PM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,151 Posts
Hey guys, got a pretty serious MV problem. My take-anywhere indoor/outdoor plane is turning into the most annoying RC thing I have ever had. Before, the rudder servo jittered ALOT, ALOT, I say it again......ALOT! But, it did not affect the flying and I got used to it after a while. But now it is starting to fail completely on me, it just locks in position randomly in flight whereever it was last when I had control of it. Throttle and elevator still work though. Still, there has been an equal amount of crashes and this particular problem. A landing is almost impossible due to the fact that I fly it in my (rather crowded) living room and turning is impossible unless you use trim but it doesnt really help. So what is wrong with my Mini Vapor?!?!?!?! Please! Need some help!

-joker
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:06 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
Hey guys, got a pretty serious MV problem. My take-anywhere indoor/outdoor plane is turning into the most annoying RC thing I have ever had. Before, the rudder servo jittered ALOT, ALOT, I say it again......ALOT! But, it did not affect the flying and I got used to it after a while. But now it is starting to fail completely on me, it just locks in position randomly in flight whereever it was last when I had control of it. Throttle and elevator still work though. Still, there has been an equal amount of crashes and this particular problem. A landing is almost impossible due to the fact that I fly it in my (rather crowded) living room and turning is impossible unless you use trim but it doesnt really help. So what is wrong with my Mini Vapor?!?!?!?! Please! Need some help!

-joker
Get some DeOxit and spray it in those linear servos with the power on. Move the control surfaces to maximum deflection. They are probably dirty and that is why you are having that problem. Happens to the us heli guys with linear servos all the time!

Much better value buying from here. I have purchased it before at Radio Shack and it was more expensive and a small little bottle!

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-HOS-D5S6-LIST
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:37 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2012
379 Posts
If the deoxit d doesn't help, you will need to remove the servo housing and clean the black strip on the board below. Deoxit and a q-tip will do it for you. You can clean the contacts on the servo housing as well, but take care not to bend them. Once the servo is clean, give it a shot of deoxit d every 15 or 20 flights.

As lovespicyfood says this is a standard part of micro heli maintenance.
ronaldj is offline Find More Posts by ronaldj
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:44 PM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,151 Posts
Yes, I used to clean out the servos every month on my mCPx. I considered doing that with the MV, but it looked hard to get to. I will get the Deoxit ASAP. Thanks.

-joker
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:33 PM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,067 Posts
Sounds like I'm joining that club, too. My rudder locked up full left in flight a couple times this week, outside. Nosed into the snow once and into one of only three large trees on my patio. It hangs up then frees up. So it's looking like PM for it now that the "new" has all been flown off.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:33 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,352 Posts
I really like this model. I have flown the original Vapor a few years back, I wanted this one to fly in my living room. I'm pretty happy with it so far, except for the unbalanced prop and too-slippery battery holder.

I'll have to try that Citabria prop mod!

Parkzone Mini Vapor - What's in the Box & Living Room Flight Testing (4 min 42 sec)
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:52 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 0 View Post
Sounds like I'm joining that club, too. My rudder locked up full left in flight a couple times this week, outside. Nosed into the snow once and into one of only three large trees on my patio. It hangs up then frees up. So it's looking like PM for it now that the "new" has all been flown off.
I just had the same thing happen to me at today's indoor fly. The rudder locked up full left. First I thought it was my transmitter (had a problem with the rudder pot a little while back). Then (gasp!) I thought it might be the brick.

But it turned out to be something really simple. The rudder push rod was catching on the back end of the rudder. For what ever reason the 'rod' has positioned it self under the 'wire' in the thread wrap. When the rudder moves back (left), the whole threaded rod/wire lump slides back until the end of the rod moves past the end of the servo housing, then it slips down and catches on the housing, preventing the servo from moving it forward again.

Anyway, I bent the wire at the servo side just a little to make the threaded rod connection sit up and not catch on the servo anymore.

I took a picture to demonstrate, and that's when I noticed that the control board isn't sitting flat in the frame. The back end of the board has popped up, which is probably what gave the push rod the bad angle to start with. I just popped the control board back into place. Probably didn't even need to bend the servo push rod. Hope the picture is clear.
ruzam is online now Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:25 AM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,067 Posts
Ruzam- thanks for that discovery. I'll take a look at mine to make sure the board is in place and the push rod not binding at that point. Been flying out of doors the past little bit with my SuperCub, Albatros and SE5a. Tonight is indoors night so some hangar repairs are in order for the MV asap.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:07 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
I really like this model. I have flown the original Vapor a few years back, I wanted this one to fly in my living room. I'm pretty happy with it so far, except for the unbalanced prop and too-slippery battery holder.

I'll have to try that Citabria prop mod!
Yes the prop balance is a pain I have replaced it with a CF 5x3 from micro invent and I get much better performance , it will loop now.
To stop the battery holder sliding about , I moved it all the way back then spread a very thin coating of UHU POR glue over the fuselage rod where the holder normally goes. Waited till the glue was dry the slide the battery holder back over the glued section. Its still possible to move it but it doesnt move on its own.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden