HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:18 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,151 Posts
Mayb he was reffering to the Eflite 70mah batt which is 14c? BTW I just flew for about ten minutes on the 70mah. A lot more fun when you dont have to change the battery every four or five minutes..........

-joker
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:48 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
Quick heads up for you MV lovers who are looking for Hyp (1S) 70s.

All-E just got (22) in stock.
http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...ct-p-5626.html

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:05 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,580 Posts
Just tried a 110mAh battery on the MV it flies but it's not as agile and feels stodgy, the motor got hot too . So I won't do that again

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:27 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
Mayb he was reffering to the Eflite 70mah batt which is 14c? BTW I just flew for about ten minutes on the 70mah. A lot more fun when you dont have to change the battery every four or five minutes..........

-joker
I was.

Small battery's are notoriously over advertised for their "c" rating. My favorite joke are the nanotech's. Great for about 20 cycles and then they fall off real fast.

Hope the eflites don't.

Either way the bird does fly better albeit faster with the 70mah then the 30's thats for sure.

Was disappointed on the 30mah fullrivers on the graph. I have always loved those. Performed well for me in the past. Maybe they have changed chemistry's. Too bad.

Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Last edited by poulsbobill; Jan 10, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:40 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,431 Posts
Bill that was only a single sample as I only have one of these cells. It was new though.

Same thing applies to the EFlight 30 mAh as well of course!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by poulsbobill View Post

Was disappointed on the 30mah fullrivers on the graph. I have always loved those. Performed well for me in the past. Maybe they have changed chemistry's. Too bad.

Bill
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:28 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2009
407 Posts
MV flying outside

Had to get up at 0530 this morning to bottle feed my 4 week old daughter and after that was done and she was settled back to sleep I noticed that the sun was just coming up and it was a beautiful still morning so I took the MV for a flight outside in my back yard. What an absolute hoot to fly outside. I was doing circuits and figure 8's and then started doing circuits around the clothes line and two shrubs. Before I knew it, LVC had triggered so I had to land. I need to get some more batteries, maybe some HP 70 a.
Arkx400 is offline Find More Posts by Arkx400
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:04 PM
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Jun 2011
111 Posts
Is there a way to make the covering on the plane tighter?

Noah
Racerx4 is offline Find More Posts by Racerx4
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:17 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,580 Posts
Racer 4X
It's best to leave the covering as it is any attempt to tighten it could result in the CF rod breaking (don't ask me how I know)

Bill
My E-flite battery is on the way out already. on the 12th cycle it hit LVC just before 5 minutes each flight after that the duration dropped a few seconds . Now at 20 cycles I have to land at
4 minutes to avoid the LVC.

Thinking I was being heavy handed on the throttle I fitted an elderly 30mah battery ripped out of a palm Z. This battery which is 2 years old and has over 40 cycles on it lasted to 6 minutes without hitting the LVC. I have contacted horizon but as yet no repsonse..

Terry
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:15 AM
Soaring Peacock Aerial Media
United States, CA, South Lake Tahoe
Joined Dec 2012
302 Posts
So in learning to do loops, my front wing support came loose and in falling twisted the rear support to near breakage. Additionally in the fall it broke the motor mount around the motor on one side. I plan on gluing with thick CA rear the wing support at the twist in the cf rod. Maybe also gluing a rod between the rear wing mounts to stiffen it up. Lastly my LHS recommended hot glue to repair the motor mount. Any suggestions or is this the right way to go about it?

Also, on loops, a dive is necessary but too steep a dive takes your speed away when you pull up to loop. I got several off before the breakage.
Jesse Buck is offline Find More Posts by Jesse Buck
Last edited by Jesse Buck; Jan 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:20 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,580 Posts
Jesse

Looks like you overstressed it , I haven't manage to loop my MV yet, I think the elevator is blowing back. the original Mk 1 loops easily

I've repaired various breaks on my Mk 1 Vapor using black thread and cyano I repaired the motor mount by carving a piece of balsa to hold the motor. I find its best not to stiffen area up too much as it adds weight and it just breaks elsewhere.

Terry
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:48 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
I have both 30 mah eflites and 70 man HP..prefer the 30s due to weight. I like the near 5 min flights anyway indoors. The added flight time and weight isn't enough for me to use.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:59 PM
Citizen 46
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
32 Posts
Jesse,

My motor mount failed similarly. I just pushed out the motor and fixed the break with thick CA being careful not to use too much. After everything dried, the motor slid back in and I tacked it in place with a little Elmer's white glue.

It's held up well, but I do need to check the Elmer's every so often to make sure the motor hasn't slipped
rnettles is offline Find More Posts by rnettles
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:09 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclockboy View Post
I did the standard lightening mods. I removed the battery stickers and Velcro, increased the throws, but my MV still struggled to loop. Then I added this carbon fiber prop and prop saver.

Carbon Fiber prop --http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...ae1afe5590ce4a
Prop adapter-- http://www.homefly.com/products.asp?id=10&pg=2

With this prop I can do as many loops as I want and boy is it fast! This morning I pulled off 5 consecutive loops in my livingroom! The speed increase is ridiculous. I'm sure it isn't, but it seems twice as fast. Consequently, I am only flying at the bottom half of my throttle so my flight times have improved by 2-3 minutes.

This change of prop has changed this tame flyer into a nimble little speedster. Woohoo!
You're not lying! Got two in today and just tried it.. Well I can do a loop no prob. And man it is nimble and quick... Might have to keep that as the bigger area prop, and stock in the house. haha

One prop was WAY out of balance though.. I might shave it instead of all the tape I have on it. The other was perfect.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:01 PM
Soaring Peacock Aerial Media
United States, CA, South Lake Tahoe
Joined Dec 2012
302 Posts
Rnettles-
I wish I thought of removing the motor and gluing with CA. I ended up following my LHS advice and hot glued it. If it doesn't hold up at least I'll be able to carve off the glue. If there is a next time I will do it your way.

*edit: hot glue didn't cut it. I did it your way. First time broke (my fault, too little ca) and second time it seems to be holding. Thanks again. I did use hot glue to hold the motor in, it peels off very easily.

Terry-
I've fixed my landing gear triangle mount with thread, some cf rods and CA. Now I'm waiting for my landing gear to brake. I'm sure they are the next weak link. It's funny, I drive 4x4s too and they are the same way. Strengthen one area, break another.
Jesse Buck is offline Find More Posts by Jesse Buck
Last edited by Jesse Buck; Jan 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:42 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Buck View Post
Rnettles-
I wish I thought of removing the motor and gluing with CA. I ended up following my LHS advice and hot glued it. If it doesn't hold up at least I'll be able to carve off the glue. If there is a next time I will do it your way.

Terry-
I've fixed my landing gear triangle mount with thread, some cf rods and CA. Now I'm waiting for my landing gear to brake. I'm sure they are the next weak link. It's funny, I drive 4x4s too and they are the same way. Strengthen one area, break another.
You can remove hot glue easily by softening it will alcohol if you want to redo it. no carving necessary
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair