HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:42 PM
Citizen 46
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
flex it and the horn and then carefully move it. I use forceps but you could use needle nose pliers also
Thanks coreman. I borrowed some tweezers from my wife to twist the horn and was able to make the change.
rnettles is online now Find More Posts by rnettles
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:53 PM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
Turbo, I have flown the carbon cub, GeeBee and the sboch with AS3X , plus a few choppers. which are irrelevant. I have flown the GeeBee and Sboch without the AS3X as well. With the gyros, these minis fly like crap. With them, they fly less like crap but not much. Why is one of your preferences a full fuse? Is this just for the form over function that I mentioned above? If so, I can assure you that a balsa profile can fly like you want. I know that people have used a good profile as a trainer because they are so stable and predictable. Also, they can handle wind just like a full fuse bird. They are not only good for 3d but can be set up however one wants to fly and do it better then most planes and can take quite a lot of abuse as well. No need for gyros. To make a little plane fly bigger, you must shave some fat. This is much easier and cheaper than to add complicated electronics that just enable new pilots.
nitrofevr is offline Find More Posts by nitrofevr
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:03 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofevr View Post
Turbo, I have flown the carbon cub, GeeBee and the sboch with AS3X , plus a few choppers. which are irrelevant. I have flown the GeeBee and Sboch without the AS3X as well. With the gyros, these minis fly like crap. With them, they fly less like crap but not much. Why is one of your preferences a full fuse? Is this just for the form over function that I mentioned above? If so, I can assure you that a balsa profile can fly like you want. I know that people have used a good profile as a trainer because they are so stable and predictable. Also, they can handle wind just like a full fuse bird. They are not only good for 3d but can be set up however one wants to fly and do it better then most planes and can take quite a lot of abuse as well. No need for gyros. To make a little plane fly bigger, you must shave some fat. This is much easier and cheaper than to add complicated electronics that just enable new pilots.
slimmed down planes are more fragile. Yes, they fly better but they don't survive the tribulations of noobies. You want them to have success so they get hooked and buy more products. Almost every new pilot I have taught would prefer to show up with a warbird. You know, a snappy high wing loading plane. If AS3X lets them fly it and they are happy, then it's done it's job. While I feel the effect of theAS3X on handling on the UM Spitfire, I was totally impressed when I maidened it in a 15mph crosswind and it tracked straight and true. Anyway, as with everything YMMV and we all buy what we feel like and there are enough planes out there for everyone to find something. BUT, I still say the future bricks will all have some form of AS3X in them and that will be the new standard. And yes, I hope there is some way to disable or dial back the functionality
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Gia Normans are coming
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
slimmed down planes are more fragile. Yes, they fly better but they don't survive the tribulations of noobies.
I completely disagree with this. Both of these planes are still flying very well with little repair. The one that looks trashed was fixed in about 20 minutes and survived a lot of beating prior to that crash. I have never been able to crash planes like I have crashed balsa profiles.
Crash clips (1 min 47 sec)
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:04 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,168 Posts
Quote:
Sorry. Your completely erroneous statements about AS3X holding a hover and doing the flying for the pilot threw me off. Of course, all of us who fly the planes know that the system does nothing of the sort - hence, my comments. Your purely emotional statements regarding complicated electronics & enabling new pilots reveal that you obviously have a problem with technology, despite your claim to the contrary. Your reference to Plato pretty much confirms that you see this as far more than it is. Again - it's a hobby.

I also have all of those UMX planes, and I think that AS3X makes them fly orders of magnitude better! The CC flies so much like my giant-scale Super Cub that it is uncanny. The Beast 3D reminds me of the 60 & 90-size bipes I've flown over the decades, and the Sbach 3D is about as close as one can get to a perfect precision aerobatic platform at this scale. From my experience on the forums and at the club fields where I fly, your opinion of AS3X is decidedly in the minority amongst the experienced pilots I have talked to. I've had a number of IMAC guys want to know where they could get a Beast 3D after watching me fly mine & then getting a turn on the sticks. All of the guys I know who put non-AS3X bricks in their CCs while waiting for HH to sort out the problems could hardly wait to install their replacement AS3X bricks!

As I noted - I prefer full-fuse, scale planes over profiles. I have flown many, many types of planes over the decades - including balsa profiles. In fact, one of the few things I have yet to try is turbines, and I plan to build a turbine plane at some point. The profile planes did nothing for me. I also don't care for floaters very much, as wind-penetration is important to me. I also prefer planes that display the basic handling characteristics of their full-scale counterparts. I need not qualify my reasons any further than to say that is what I prefer. After all - RC is a hobby, not a religion or philosophy. Your seemingly peculiar interest in why I prefer full-fuse planes leads me to believe that you think there is something inherently wrong with preferring to fly scale planes. Of course, that is pure nonsense. There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with preferring scale planes over profiles, nor is there anything the least bit wrong with preferring small planes that fly big.

End of discussion.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 06, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:17 PM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
You may end if you want but with your response, you only confirm that you dont get my point. This may be my fault but thats ok.

How do you like the MV?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:44 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,424 Posts
"After all, RC is not a religion, a way of life, or a testament to one's world-view."

Joel,

Are you sure abut that?!?!??

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:45 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,080 Posts
Hey Joel, you shoot a lot of videos, how about you shoot a video of the MV in your house?

Also, it's fine to not prefer AS3X, though I see no reasoning to it everyone has tastes, and I'm an artist so I know! That's fine, but some of what you were saying was factually incorrect, like how shedding weight does the same as as3x and believing it only helps new pilots. And flying like crap. Everything else seems like a perfect opinion, I love profiles too, I just enjoy full fuses a lot more.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:52 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
"After all, RC is not a religion, a way of life, or a testament to one's world-view."

Joel,

rc
My tinfoil hat isn't pointy. that is far too directional for me.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:10 PM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Hey Joel, you shoot a lot of videos, how about you shoot a video of the MV in your house?

Also, it's fine to not prefer AS3X, though I see no reasoning to it everyone has tastes, and I'm an artist so I know! That's fine, but some of what you were saying was factually incorrect, like how shedding weight does the same as as3x and believing it only helps new pilots. And flying like crap. Everything else seems like a perfect opinion, I love profiles too, I just enjoy full fuses a lot more.
Was the later half directed towards me? If so, I never equated a lighter plane to doing the same thing as a gyro system nor the gyro making the plane fly like crap. I was merely stating how a properly designed plane would not need the help of such system. Thusly, a plane that needs it, flies like crap with out it.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:21 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Was the later half directed towards me? If so, I never equated a lighter plane to doing the same thing as a gyro system nor the gyro making the plane fly like crap. I was merely stating how a properly designed plane would not need the help of such system. Thusly, a plane that needs it, flies like crap with out it.
Well, as I said, I was impressed with how the AS3X helped the spitfire fly well in a strong crosswind. And while I can tack into the wind and keep it flying reasonably smooth, I can also see the benefit to the gyro system doing it with miniscule adjustments hundreds of times a second automagically. Especially in a gusty environment. And while I can fly in a strong crosswind, a more novice flier might not have the ability. And if you only fly in calm conditions, you probably fly a lot less. So therefore, it is probably a benefit for the greater good. Maybe not fully for me, or you, or Joel but I am sure lots of people see the benefit
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:23 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,080 Posts
A plane that flies properly would not need it, but things change as you bring down the scale of the ship. The smaller the plane the twitcher they are, they are knocked by winds and thermals, and again are twitchy as hell, as you decrease scale you increase the need for a system like this. You get stability and agility at a scale were planes are most agile and least stable.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:26 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
809 Posts
Bad 70mAH Hyperion cells?

Guys,

Anyone else had 70mAH Hyperion cells defective straight out of the package? I ordered two cells from an online vendor and one of them was at 2V when received and would not charge (voltage too low to trigger the charger). The seller promptly replaced it and the replacement was at zero volts as received.

Both defective cells were mildly puffed. I gently charged the 2V cell to 4V on a bench supply at 50mA and then finished it off on the charger but it only delivered about 4-5 minutes of flight time on each of two charge cycles so it would appear to be damaged (as expected).

Is Hyperion having QC issues?

The one good cell performs well in my MV. Somewhat more power and more than double the flight time vs. the 30mAH.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
Quote:
A plane that flies properly would not need it, but things change as you bring down the scale of the ship. The smaller the plane the twitcher they are, they are knocked by winds and thermals, and again are twitchy as hell, as you decrease scale you increase the need for a system like this. You get stability and agility at a scale were planes are most agile and least stable.
This is why I posted the above video of the 20" plane without gyros. It IS a plane that can fly stable at slow speeds as well as 3d without training wheel electronics. I would choose a proper design over a band-aid any day.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:45 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,168 Posts
Quote:
You may end if you want but with your response, you only confirm that you dont get my point. This may be my fault but thats ok.

How do you like the MV?
Nitrofevr,

I get your point very well. Your emotion-based comments about training wheels and band-aids confirms that we are on opposite ends of the planet on this topic, and that further discussion is pointless. I have flown many UM planes with & without AS3X. The system is most definitely not training wheels or a band-aid. From what I have seen, the majority of those who have flown with it agree with me. You & I happen to disagree. I'm willing to leave it at that.

I'm having a blast with the MV! I've dreamt about being able to fly a plane in the house since I was a kid. I decided to learn how to fly helis a few years ago primarily to have something that I could fly in the living room when I can't fly fixed-wing outdoors. Now I can do figure-eights in the living room with an RET plane that has a 1:1 thrust-to-weight & flies for 7-8 minutes on a 70 mAh cell. I didn't fly the MV at our New Year's Eve indoor-fly because I was busy shooting video an extreme slow-flight demo with the CC & checking out the handling of the nCPX in a larger space. I'll fly the MV in there next time. I'm curious to see what it can do in something larger than my 10' x 16' flying area. I'll have to keep it away from the HVAC-induced 'wind-shear' on the one end, though. It can sometimes be strong enough to nearly upset the CC on a dirty approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post

Joel,

rc
RC,

Now that was funny! Have you been getting pics from Pugsam? BTW - we're all waiting for you to go 3s on this one.

Quote:

AP,

Yeah, I also think it's fine to not like it. But I take exception when people make false claims about it doing the flying, or that it's only for beginners, etc., when my experience & that of most pilots I know who have flown the planes has been pretty much the polar opposite.

Regarding an indoor MV video - I don't really have anything interesting to shoot right now. I'll fire up the hatcam when I get wall landings & loops in the living room worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Guys,

Anyone else had 70mAH Hyperion cells defective straight out of the package? I ordered two cells from an online vendor and one of them was at 2V when received and would not charge (voltage too low to trigger the charger). The seller promptly replaced it and the replacement was at zero volts as received.

Paul
I recently ordered a few Hyp 70s from All e RC, and they are all fine. However, I have had a bad cell twice in my four years of flying with Hyp LiPos, so it is certainly possible to end up with a bad cell, despite their usually excellent QC. Could they have been been damaged by cold during shipping?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 06, 2013 at 10:05 PM.