HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:57 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
Sure, on a large plane. At a micro scale its invaluable to fly smooth and unlock the enjoyment of a micro that flies like a large scale.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:09 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,916 Posts
I raised my rudder a bit, and did a dual rate setup with the elevator.. I like it!

I am convinced the big prop is what is preventing the looping. It's a big gyro up front. Going to try to shave a stock prop a bit and see what happens.. Might as well experiment while waiting for those CF props to arrive
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:11 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofevr View Post
Lets just take the pilot out of the hobby. Might as well watch youtube videos with a tx on your hands pretending to fly......
AS3X won't fly it for you... at all. It does help flying a micro in the wind though. Not sure it would even hardly be noticed in an indoor situation. It won't over-ride control input but it reacts to pitch, roll and yaw after the fact. Works well on my Carbon Cub. Might be useful if the furnace fan kicks on though
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:24 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
I have flown several. They fly pretty good but at over a mile a.s.l. it is a bit underpowered with a small selection of props to fix it. They are fun though.
Oh I live in Colorado too. I still think it's fine - but you do need to use a good battery on it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:56 PM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
AS3X won't fly it for you... at all. It does help flying a micro in the wind though. Not sure it would even hardly be noticed in an indoor situation. It won't over-ride control input but it reacts to pitch, roll and yaw after the fact. Works well on my Carbon Cub. Might be useful if the furnace fan kicks on though
Flying a Carbon Cub and a micro 3d bird is very different. I have flown several as3x planes including the carbon cub and I can tell you that it will take away from flying 3d. This is my point. The as3x has its place for sure but not on any true 3d plane unless you want to take away the skill needed for true 3d.
nitrofevr is offline Find More Posts by nitrofevr
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:57 PM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
I raised my rudder a bit, and did a dual rate setup with the elevator.. I like it!

I am convinced the big prop is what is preventing the looping. It's a big gyro up front. Going to try to shave a stock prop a bit and see what happens.. Might as well experiment while waiting for those CF props to arrive
Try the micro citabria prop. More pitch and less diameter. For me, it is the best I have tried.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:59 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,230 Posts
So I was having too much fun with my MV (just got more batts.........) and guess what - one of the landing gear broke off ()! And right at the triangle thing/base too.....so tomorrow I will try and fix it with a small piece (about 3/4" length) of carbon fiber so it wont cost much in weight. This thing is just so fun!

-joker
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:03 AM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
So I was having too much fun with my MV (just got more batts.........) and guess what - one of the landing gear broke off ()! And right at the triangle thing/base too.....so tomorrow I will try and fix it with a small piece (about 3/4" length) of carbon fiber so it wont cost much in weight. This thing is just so fun!

-joker
I did the same thing yesterday. I dabbed a little but of thick CA with some kicker and has held through some pretty nasty spills.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:53 AM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
Bumped up the throws more. I have 45 degrees up, down, right and left

Mini Vapor Bro throws (1 min 2 sec)
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:10 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,110 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3fYk...ature=youtu.be
Haha thats awesome!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:30 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,095 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3fYk...ature=youtu.be
Nice work! You are awesome with that thing!
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:03 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Lets just take the pilot out of the hobby.
well, they are not in the business of challenging us, they are in the business of dumbing it down as much as possible so they can get as many units off the shelf as possible. They want your grandmother to be successful out of the box. If they can pry money away by making incompetent people look good, they will. The couple of skilled people they offend is far outweighed by the unwashed masses

Quote:
Might as well watch youtube videos with a tx on your hands pretending to fly......
Do you mean Wii and Nintendo or RealFlight? That market is already full
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:17 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
AS3X is not an autopilot. It doesn't fly the plane at all. It simply dampens airframe movements not commanded by the pilot. It makes small planes behave more like their large & full-scale counterparts, and allows them to fly in wind & turbulence that would ground planes that are many times larger.

Reminds me of the old farts who claimed propo was cheating back in the early 60s. Next, it was kits, then FM, then ARFs, then dual-rates, then expo, then computer radios, then 2.4 GHz, and then foamies. At one time or another, the old farts & curmudgeons claimed that each of the above was going to be the death of the hobby. In every case, the opposite was true. I suppose we should all go back to driving 50-year-old cars, since things like power brakes, crumple zones, modern suspensions, and engines that don't require constant attention just dumb things down for the masses. Might as well remove the tens of thousands of stability-augmentation systems from full-scale planes too. After all, they're just crutches that dumb everything down for new pilots.

Not that I'd actually want stab/aug on a MV.....

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:01 AM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
AS3X is not an autopilot. It doesn't fly the plane at all. It simply dampens airframe movements not commanded by the pilot. It makes small planes behave more like their large & full-scale counterparts, and allows them to fly in wind & turbulence that would ground planes that are many times larger.

Reminds me of the old farts who claimed propo was cheating back in the early 60s. Next, it was kits, then FM, then ARFs, then dual-rates, then expo, then computer radios, then 2.4 GHz, and then foamies. At one time or another, the old farts & curmudgeons claimed that each of the above was going to be the death of the hobby. In every case, the opposite was true. I suppose we should all go back to driving 50-year-old cars, since things like power brakes, crumple zones, modern suspensions, and engines that don't require constant attention just dumb things down for the masses. Might as well remove the tens of thousands of stability-augmentation systems from full-scale planes too. After all, they're just crutches that dumb everything down for new pilots.

Not that I'd actually want stab/aug on a MV.....

Joel
The as3x system is a 3 axis gyro. It is MUCH different than duel-rates, computer radios and expo. None of these systems have a corrective effect to them. If you put your plane in a hover or knife edge, non of these will move the control surfaces for you. A gyro on the other hand will. I have been flying for about 20 years but I am no curmudgeon still being a few years under 30. I am all for new tech and have stated that I am sure this system has its place, just not on a 3d machine. That is my point my friend. Your reductio ad absurdum analogue with full scale cars and planes is a false analogy. Everything you mentioned is for safety and user friendliness on , in essence, utilitarian products. RC airplanes are far from utilitarian unless you are doing something like areal photography or something. In that case, a gyro would be very helpful.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
Nice work! You are awesome with that thing!
Thanks! It is starting to be a really fun plane. I just wish I had mo powah!!