HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
What did you set the travel on the elevator as?

-joker

Um....everything it has. Is there any other way? I fly it on a dx6i and they are set at 125 up and down. I fly my 3d birds the same way. My rudder is like a drum banging the elevator on the ground but in the air it doesn't hit. I am a throw freak though.
nitrofevr is offline Find More Posts by nitrofevr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:28 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,444 Posts
Do not set the travel beyond 100% on any of the linear servos. This has been clearly stated in every UM aircraft manual since the beginning. MV manual, page 10:

NOTICE: Never set Travel Adjust above 100%. Ultra
Micro servos are unique in that they are calibrated
to reach maximum travel at 100% travel adjust.
Increasing the value above 100% will NOT result
in more travel, but can cause the servo to lock and
will result in a crash.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:21 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Do not set the travel beyond 100% on any of the linear servos. This has been clearly stated in every UM aircraft manual since the beginning. MV manual, page 10:

NOTICE: Never set Travel Adjust above 100%. Ultra
Micro servos are unique in that they are calibrated
to reach maximum travel at 100% travel adjust.
Increasing the value above 100% will NOT result
in more travel, but can cause the servo to lock and
will result in a crash.

Joel
This is a good reminder Joel. Thank you sir!
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:37 AM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,070 Posts
Wow, ok, I guess I will change my Travel on my elevator to 100 instead of 125..........and to think that I already had 125 on my rudder! I will dial that down too. This little bugger is really fun but my dad STILL has not found any time to bring me to a hobby shop yet.

-joker
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:42 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Wow, ok, I guess I will change my Travel on my elevator to 100 instead of 125..........and to think that I already had 125 on my rudder! I will dial that down too. This little bugger is really fun but my dad STILL has not found any time to bring me to a hobby shop yet.

-joker
just move the pushrods in closer on the horns
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:32 AM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,070 Posts
Yes, I already did that, but I litterally JUST tried to make a third hole. It was really hard trying to poke out a tiny hole with a needle and tweezers.........how did you guys do it?

-joker
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:42 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I already did that, but I litterally JUST tried to make a third hole. It was really hard trying to poke out a tiny hole with a needle and tweezers.........how did you guys do it?

-joker
Get a magnifying glass and heat up a needle and poke it really quick... dangerous maneuver to try with such small stuff though. I found that the existing holes we're fine but I did have to use the inner ones.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:49 PM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
Mine functions properly to the limit of my stick movements at 125. No dead spots. The only place the surfaces can bind is on the elevator where the carbon attaches on each side of the rudder. This is not a big deal if you are aware of it. I put the sticks to there limits for about 5 minutes on the ground and periodically checked to see if the servo motors heated up. They did not. I will choose to ignore the bureaucratic, over precautionary warning and fly the snot out of my loose mini.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:06 PM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,070 Posts
Heat up a needle!?!?!?????? Like what, soldering it to the tip of a soldering iron and turn the soldering iron on!?!?!?!? LOL

Anyways I will fly it like it is for now, may think of making a 3rd hole later.

-joker
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:09 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofevr View Post
Mine functions properly to the limit of my stick movements at 125. No dead spots. The only place the surfaces can bind is on the elevator where the carbon attaches on each side of the rudder. This is not a big deal if you are aware of it. I put the sticks to there limits for about 5 minutes on the ground and periodically checked to see if the servo motors heated up. They did not. I will choose to ignore the bureaucratic, over precautionary warning and fly the snot out of my loose mini.
It isn't just some silly bureaucratic warning, linear servos have a hard preset limit. They literally cannot travel past a certain point. This is contrasted with a rotary servo that can physically travel almost a full 360 degrees and with minor modifications can rotate continuously.

Running a linear servo end to end past its designed area is eventually going to kill it. Thankfully, in a tiny plane like this it won't be a big deal when it happens.

I'm all for sticking it to the man, but I'm not going to run these things past ~100% travel. Poke a new hole in the arm and use that!
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:28 PM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfrog View Post
It isn't just some silly bureaucratic warning, linear servos have a hard preset limit. They literally cannot travel past a certain point. This is contrasted with a rotary servo that can physically travel almost a full 360 degrees and with minor modifications can rotate continuously.

Running a linear servo end to end past its designed area is eventually going to kill it. Thankfully, in a tiny plane like this it won't be a big deal when it happens.

I'm all for sticking it to the man, but I'm not going to run these things past ~100% travel. Poke a new hole in the arm and use that!
I do understand the electro-mechanics of the system. Silly warning or not, this thing is worth my $80 being able to fly like it does now. I will post a long term flight report if it makes it that far In the mean time, I will be trying to squeeze every bit of performance out of this little thing as I can.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:57 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
If you keep the Servo off of the hard shops on the ends of travel, they should be fine.

Run the servo to over 100%, unplug the battery, and mark the gear with a marker and count how many turns of the spur gear to get to the stop. If its less thal 1.5 full turns, i'd back it off.

On an original vapor brick, I saw 6 turns remaining @ 100%, so there is a little room to go over 100%, but other bricks had less than a turn to the hard stops in one direction. That one needs less than 100%.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:39 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Heat up a needle!?!?!?????? Like what, soldering it to the tip of a soldering iron and turn the soldering iron on!?!?!?!? LOL

Anyways I will fly it like it is for now, may think of making a 3rd hole later.

-joker
It is a fairly well known method of making holes in servo horns. It's a good way to make a hole for a metal pushrod without getting any slop.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:36 AM
Mike Murphy
UK
Joined May 2007
12 Posts
MV binding problem

Hi all,
I cannot get my new Mini Vapor to reliably bind (to a Spekrum DM9 module). Firstly, sometimes it won't bind at all. Sometimes, I can get it bind but when it has actually done so, the receiver seems to go on a go-slow with stick movements being followed by the servos after a short delay. When it does bind and the responses are correct all seems well, but if I power off the MV and the Tx and then power them on (Tx on first, wait 5 sec, then MV on) the MV goes into binding again.
Do I have a faulty Mini Vapor?
- Mike
evmurph is offline Find More Posts by evmurph
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:07 AM
Joined Jan 2008
113 Posts
Do you have a charged battery? If you wiggle the connection on the battery, does it go on and off? Will your TX bind reliably to other models? Wiggle the module on your tx to see if the pins are making good connection.