RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:51 PM
Soaring Peacock Aerial Media
United States, CA, South Lake Tahoe
Joined Dec 2012
275 Posts
Greetings everyone! My name is Jesse and I'm new to rc flying. My wife got one for me for Christmas after seeing how enamored I was after watching one fly around a small room. I've learned to fly it pretty well. I can do circuits and figure eights in a 10x12 room. However, in learning to fly it I have broken 2 prop shafts and today my landing gear. The crash broke the landing gear mount (small triangle where cf rods insert). I've read up a lot on possible fixes. When I buy replacement gear does it include the mount? If so, is removing the gearbox similar to the vapor? Or should I just attempt to repair it with ca and wire? Any other suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance for any help.
Jesse Buck is offline Find More Posts by Jesse Buck
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
My advice would be just to fly it without the gear, as that's what I've been doing. Mine broke like yours did. In that small a space, it's almost inevitable you'll break it again and it flies great without the landing gear.
coolstar is offline Find More Posts by coolstar
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:35 AM
Soaring Peacock Aerial Media
United States, CA, South Lake Tahoe
Joined Dec 2012
275 Posts
Yeah, I've been flying it w/o but I like attempting touchdowns and take offs on tables, etc. Should I really forget about fixing it, will it be that hard? Thanks for replying.
Jesse Buck is offline Find More Posts by Jesse Buck
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:14 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,542 Posts
I replaced the landing gear on my Mk1 vapor and it wasnt easy I ended up slotting the plastic so it could go on without removing the gearbox etc. That was after repairing the old one a couple of times with cotton and CA. There is a thread on repairing the Mk1 vapor here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916206 which includes a link to a repair manual

But now I think why bother as I tend to hand launch and catch the thing anyway.

My mini should arrive tomorow it will be interesting to compare it to my lightened but well used Mk1 vapor.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:47 AM
Memphis, TN
Joined Apr 2007
1,659 Posts
this is gonna make me come out of retirement and get back into micro flying!!
Torx is offline Find More Posts by Torx
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:50 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,754 Posts
ROG/Landing is half the fun with this little plane!
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:42 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Buck View Post
Greetings everyone! My name is Jesse and I'm new to rc flying. My wife got one for me for Christmas after seeing how enamored I was after watching one fly around a small room. I've learned to fly it pretty well. I can do circuits and figure eights in a 10x12 room. However, in learning to fly it I have broken 2 prop shafts and today my landing gear. The crash broke the landing gear mount (small triangle where cf rods insert). I've read up a lot on possible fixes. When I buy replacement gear does it include the mount? If so, is removing the gearbox similar to the vapor? Or should I just attempt to repair it with ca and wire? Any other suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance for any help.
I broke mine in the same place, right at the boom. To repair it I used a tiny amount of styrene glue and after that dried I added thin CF rods (salvaged from a defective MV wing) on either side of the triangle and secured them with thick CA. You have to be VERY VERY careful to prevent any glue from getting on the boom or you will never get the mount off if you need to.

The result is much stronger than the relatively weak original.

Why they would make that part weak enough that a 9 gram airplane with flexible CF landing gear is capable of breaking it under ANY circumstances is beyond me. But then landing gear has historically been an issue on just about every ARF I have had.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:41 AM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,081 Posts
Ok, one more time, just to clarify if this will work:

3s 2200mah pack, Accucel 6, charging six 30mah batts. So when I set it up to charge the batts, I would set it at 1.8a 6s? Or would I set it up as 1.8a 1s? Or 0.3a 1s? Or 0.3a 6s?

-joker
joker24458 is online now Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:36 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Why they would make that part weak enough that a 9 gram airplane with flexible CF landing gear is capable of breaking it under ANY circumstances is beyond me. But then landing gear has historically been an issue on just about every ARF I have had.

Paul
The reason is they make more money on the spare parts than on the original aircraft

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:48 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
Ok, one more time, just to clarify if this will work:

3s 2200mah pack, Accucel 6, charging six 30mah batts. So when I set it up to charge the batts, I would set it at 1.8a 6s? Or would I set it up as 1.8a 1s? Or 0.3a 1s? Or 0.3a 6s?

-joker
Use a parallel charge harness & set the charger up for 1s @ 200 mA. It's best to avoid mixing nearly full & nearly discharged cells. Also, avoid mixing fresh cells with old, tired cells. The factory cells are rated for 2.5c charging, so you can crank the current up quite a bit more if you wish - provided that all of the cells are healthy. If you charge fewer than 6 cells, be sure to reduce the charge current accordingly.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,940 Posts
[QUOTE=turboparker;23659759 The factory cells are rated for 2.5c charging,Joel[/QUOTE]

The factory cells are also rated for 25C discharge???? I think I'll charge mine bellow 2c, but then again they are cheep.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:48 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Use a parallel charge harness & set the charger up for 1s @ 200 mA. It's best to avoid mixing nearly full & nearly discharged cells. Also, avoid mixing fresh cells with old, tired cells. The factory cells are rated for 2.5c charging, so you can crank the current up quite a bit more if you wish - provided that all of the cells are healthy. If you charge fewer than 6 cells, be sure to reduce the charge current accordingly.

Joel
6x30ma = 180ma total so the ~1C charge rate would be .2a (180ma actually) but most chargers go in tenths of an amp. Yes, 1S not 6S

1.8a would be 10C (Joel edited his post)
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by coreman; Dec 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: original post was corrected
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:11 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Nope. 6x30ma = 180ma total so the ~1C charge rate would be .2a (180ma actually) but most chargers go in tenths of an amp. Yes, 1S not 6S

1.8a would be 10C
Yeah, I had a low-caffeine-level-induced decimal-point error, there. I corrected my post. A 10c charge would likely do more than just 'let the white smoke out'.

Thanks for catching that!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:17 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Yeah, I had a low-caffeine-level-induced decimal-point error, there. I corrected my post. A 10c charge would likely do more than just 'let the white smoke out'.

Thanks for catching that!

Joel
yeah, the batteries claim 75ma which is 2.5C
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member