HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:32 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Yes I agree with this, the Mini has much better power to weight ratio. My Vapor is the original too, not the night one... it's three years old and I'm sure the motor is a little tired. Also, on my mini vapor, I had to move the rod for the rudder to the inner hole, as I didn't feel it would turn tight enough. All those little issues add up to a big difference, as well as setup issues.

However, I don't feel that either one requires mods to fly right. You would think Horizon never tests this stuff or follows a design process, the way everybody itches to mod stuff without even flying it first. I don't think Horizon has ever built an aircraft correctly, right?
I usually end up modifying most of my RC aircraft at some point. But the only time I do it before the maiden is if the need has been established. However, I surely don't consider adjusting the CG, changing pushrod positions, swapping props, or experimenting with different batteries to be modding. These things are simply integral parts of the hobby - essential skills that are required, if one wishes to progress beyond the novice stage.

That said - my MV is still stock. I simply maxed the throws & slapped-in a Hyp 70. I will likely raise the rudder so I can increase up-elevator throw as Todd has done, but that's the only mod I'll likely make to this plane. Unless someone comes out with a 'weightless mod'.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 26, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:40 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,424 Posts
'weightless mod'

Working n it!

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:45 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,635 Posts
Joel, better than that.

The inflated semi-symetrical section stunt/duration wing with Helium filling will be available as an accessory any day now.

Zero height-loss loops or day long flights guaranteed.

John
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:16 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
You can always raise the rudder and give yourself some more elevator. This isn't a mod for everyone but it's just what mine needed.
TODD
Todd,

OK!! that would do it. Did you add on to the shaft that goes through the sleeve or did you just raise it and get rid of the play at the bottom where the tubing is?

Thanks

Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:07 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
1,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Joel, better than that.

The inflated semi-symetrical section stunt/duration wing with Helium filling will be available as an accessory any day now.

John

I would love to see someone do that.........but for now, it's fantasy.

-joker
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:12 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
932 Posts
Without having to read through this thread, has anyone figured out the esc rating on this thing. Is it 2amps or less than that?
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:41 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Working n it!

rc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Joel, better than that.

John
LOL! Reminds me of that absolutely amazing helium-filled 1/22nd-scale A310.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTCAKE View Post
Without having to read through this thread, has anyone figured out the esc rating on this thing. Is it 2amps or less than that?
I have yet to find any specs on this brick.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,605 Posts
I tried a 70 mah vapor battery last night. Worked well! Good amount of flight time.. Just barely notice the extra weight.. I like it..

So now have seven stock batts and one 70mah... I need a parallel charger real quick. Going to call LHS today and see if they have any .. I doubt it but worth a shot.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
1,845 Posts
Wow, eight batteries total! I only have one......gotta get some more......

-joker
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Oct 2002
1,605 Posts
Dude I got it for Christmas and it was torture flying for 5 mins, then waiting 30-40 to fly again!!!

LHS had stockers for $4.50 each
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:16 AM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
1,845 Posts
I will go to my LHS (not so "local" though.....25 mins away ) ASAP to pick up more batteries and some other RC stuff I need. I will get AT LEAST two 30amp batts and two 70amp batts. Also, I need a multi-port charger that can charge the stock batt. Anyone know of one?

-joker
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:34 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
3,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
I will go to my LHS (not so "local" though.....25 mins away ) ASAP to pick up more batteries and some other RC stuff I need. I will get AT LEAST two 30amp batts and two 70amp batts. Also, I need a multi-port charger that can charge the stock batt. Anyone know of one?

-joker
I havent used one in ages but I would assume the celectra 4 port would charge them?
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:44 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d astronaut View Post
I havent used one in ages but I would assume the celectra 4 port would charge them?
The problem that you run into is the Celectra charges at 300ma which would be 10C for the 30mah battery. I have one and they are great but it would be too much for these tiny batteries. The nice thing about the parallel boards is that charger thinks it is looking at one battery for the combined capacity so 4 30mah batteries looks like a single 120mah which can then charge on a bigger charger without having the C rating go off the scale.
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Gia Normans are coming
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Oct 2002
1,605 Posts
I just picked up a 6 port cable at LHS.. I'm still kinda an electric noob .... So if I charge six 30mah batts at the same tim - 6x30 = 180mah, so I should charge at 0.2 amps to get just a little over a 1C charge rate?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:54 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
I just picked up a 6 port cable at LHS.. I'm still kinda an electric noob .... So if I charge six 30mah batts at the same tim - 6x30 = 180mah, so I should charge at 0.2 amps to get just a little over a 1C charge rate?
That is correct
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Gia Normans are coming