6,216 Posts
Lhs, four dollars.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,929 Posts
Ahh, yeah, found another shop online for $3.79 each.. I ordered three to hold me over. Next time I'm at LHS I'll grab a handful!
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:36 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,271 Posts
Ok, so I dont really get it........if I use a 160mah batt how would that kill the motor???

-joker
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:45 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
I have to think that at some point the weight will kill the motor as well?

I have a couple 70mAH Hyperions on the way to try but I don't think I want to go much heavier.

A slightly higher pitch prop might also help, but again, at the possible expense of the motor?

Paul
The weight won't kill the battery, it will just cause the plane to fly poorly. Changing the prop might harm the motor. It flies well as designed for what it was designed for.
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:48 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,866 Posts
Generally, the bigger the capacity the lower the internal resistance so a higher capacity battery will have a higher voltage under load than a smaller one. If you look at the test graphs I showed earlier, the Hyperion 70mAh delivers about 0.3V more to the motor than the stock 30mAh at the same current drain. In fact it is worse since in practice the 70mAh will deliver more current into a constant load.

Bottom line both the voltage and current go up when you increase the battery size. Each part is not all that much -10% or so - but the combination may increase the power into the motor significantly. That power comes out as mechanical energy (more thrust and revs) but also as more heat dissipated in the motor. This little motor gets pretty hot anyway and so that is not good.

Whether it is a real problem or not can only be told from practical experience of people who fly on bigger batteries for an extended period. It may be not an issue - it may.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
Ok, so I dont really get it........if I use a 160mah batt how would that kill the motor???

-joker
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,271 Posts
Ok, so for now I may just stick with the stock batt. Or even 7-10min flights with a 125mah batt. Would that be all right?

-joker
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,866 Posts
As Yoga Berra said, "In theory, theory and practice are the same - in practice they ain't."

Go fly it and feel how hot the motor is compared with the stock battery. If it feels about the same, stop worrying. We can over think these things sometimes - me included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
Ok, so for now I may just stick with the stock batt. Or even 7-10min flights with a 125mah batt. Would that be all right?

-joker
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:36 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,563 Posts
anyone thought of my jittering servo issue yet?
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:43 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,929 Posts
Cale10, if it's new, just call HH or if gotten from LHS bring it back and get a new one.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,271 Posts
Ok, I did that little experiment, I couldnt tell if the motor was any hotter. I think I will still fly with the 125 but not the 160. BTW I did get it stuck in the Christmas tree, but it was low so I got it down!

-joker
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:06 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,216 Posts
Cale, only one thing matters, does it fly exactly as it should?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Bottom line both the voltage and current go up when you increase the battery size. Each part is not all that much -10% or so - but the combination may increase the power into the motor significantly. That power comes out as mechanical energy (more thrust and revs) but also as more heat dissipated in the motor. This little motor gets pretty hot anyway and so that is not good.
Heat isn't the only issue here. What is also potentially harmful is increased brush wear from the higher available current. Imagine what is going on at the brush-comm interface of those near microscopic brushes.

I have only flown mine with the stock 30mAH batteries. I did try it once on a 160mAH cell and didn't see a major performance increase so I went back to the 30mAH cells. I am going to try the Hyperion 70mAH cells though.... I figure one more gram probably won't hurt too much.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:18 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Cale, only one thing matters, does it fly exactly as it should?
yep exactly. just every so often i'll give full up and then center it and it'll jitter a bit. it dosent always do it thoug. i figures it got some dust in it or something.
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:39 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Got one of these and at first I was nervous that I would not be able to fly it in our family room. However after a few test crashes I was doing circuits in our 16 x16 room. This is just awesome, under a blizzard warning now and looking forward to more flights in the warmth of my family room.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:02 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,216 Posts
Cale get deoxit f, it's as vital with HH as is using a programmable tx.