SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:52 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,791 Posts
I put one of these on my Christmas wish list! We'll see if Santa brings it

I always wanted an airplane I could fly in my house.
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:26 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,546 Posts
Did maiden today in a small room

Worked well

Already moved control surfaces to inner most hole for more throw

Experimenting with cg location

Not fond of side ways mounted lipo but ill life with it lol

Fun foyer - finally something to fly in a 8x8 room
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:08 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,657 Posts
Installed my new prop. The original was seriously warped. Now she's smooth as silk. Just finished two flights of figure-eights in a 10' x 16' space, with a few cw/ccw reversals thrown in. I then flew some fast, banked-turn circuits around the living room & kitchen up on the wing. Even 'jumped my own wake' a few times. Man this thing is a blast! I can hardly wait for my Hyp 70s to show up!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:25 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
945 Posts
Has anyone successfully removed the wing yet? I got my replacement wing (the original was assembled incorrectly) today and set about trying to remove the original wing. HH suggested I use CA debonder on the glue, but that seemed to soften the plastic and the CF rod more than it softened the glue. I got the front post loose fairly easily but ended up destroying the rear dihedral bracket removing it in spite of using a home made slotted jig over the CF rod that provided a fulcrum to pry the wing bracket straight off.

Once I finally got the wing off, I found the front post was a loose fit in the new wing. A bit of thin CA on the post thickened it slightly and while it is not glued, it stays put just fine.

So far, the glide seems better and I don't need right rudder trim any more. I haven't tried flying under power yet..... that will happen on Tuesday unless I decide to give it a go in the family room again..

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:38 PM
Citizen 46
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Installed my new prop. The original was seriously warped. Now she's smooth as silk. Just finished two flights of figure-eights in a 10' x 16' space, with a few cw/ccw reversals thrown in. I then flew some fast, banked-turn circuits around the living room & kitchen up on the wing. Even 'jumped my own wake' a few times. Man this thing is a blast! I can hardly wait for my Hyp 70s to show up!

Joel
I picked up my MV the other day and I too am having a blast with it. I do have a slight vibration that I couldn't track down, and just looked at the prop after reading your post, and it has a slight curve to it as well. I guess I'll add that to the list when I go in search of more of those dinky little batteries.

Also, I got sick and tired of the battery "tray" sliding around even during flight. I would launch it at the optimum CG and by the end of the flight with any semi aggressive maneuvers, it would be pushed up against the brick. To solve it, I pushed the tray all the way forward and very very lightly coated only the bottom of the main beam with a thick CA and let it dry. I then came back after it dried and lightly sanded the CA down until the tray would just slide the length only with a determined force moving it. With that solved, now I need to figure out a better alternative to that silly no-stick velcro. I was thinking maybe trying tiny rubber bands around the battery to hold it in place, similar to how prop savers hold the prop to the hub.
rnettles is offline Find More Posts by rnettles
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:49 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnettles View Post
...With that solved, now I need to figure out a better alternative to that silly no-stick velcro. I was thinking maybe trying tiny rubber bands around the battery to hold it in place, similar to how prop savers hold the prop to the hub.
I used a small piece of 10mm heatshrink which I formed over a 1/8"x3/8" piece of wood then glued to the tray. The batteries slide in and stay, no more danglers and dynamic CGs
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RA Cores Yak 55 Review
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:57 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
.....dynamic CGs
"dynamic" CGs

LOL

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:26 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
"dynamic" CGs

LOL

Great example!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:36 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Great example!!
Great new avatar photo you have there, too!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:47 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Great new avatar photo you have there, too!

From our indoor holiday flying party last year. The lettering on the shirt ($5 at Wal-Mart) says, "does this suit make me look fat?"

Got to have fun with it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
Got this one on my Christmas list. Have the night vapor and love it. This will be fun in the bonus room.
Notsogood is offline Find More Posts by Notsogood
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:38 PM
Nelson B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2003
211 Posts
mini vapor setup?

Hi Guys

I just got 2 of the Mini Vapors. The elevator is trimmed up a little, in the neutral position on both of them.
Is this normal? Is the purpose of this a attempt to make it fly slower?
The tail seems to be down in most of the videos.
It does not do the glide test very good this way.
I mechanically extended the linkage so it is neutral in the neutral position and it glides great. Cool little plane.

Just wondering.

Thanks Mike
flyboy1001e is offline Find More Posts by flyboy1001e
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:20 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Have you flown them?
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:46 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Will be flying my MV later this week at one of your InDoor events. Hopefully, I will finally "discover" this little plane and develop a bit more interest in it. I only have the original 30mAh lipo supplied with the plane, and LHS doesn't have any spares. My Embers will seem like hot rods compared to the Mini Vapor! . Then, there's the UM Champ with I also fly indoors at the InDoor events. Zoom-Zoom.......

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,948 Posts
Doug here's a couple pics for you.

It flies a lot like an Ember, you just don't need near as much room. Mostly Mini-Vapor gear.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv