HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
60 seconds of "acceptable" flight time?

Dont mean to be harsh, but vertical punch shouldnt be required for fun with any vapor.

Im easily getting four minutes, and at the end it still has the power for maintaining high alpha.

So why is only the first 60 seconds "acceptable?"
Sorry, I meant that I've had about 60 seconds of flight where I thought I was actually in control and could make it go where I wanted to, not the first 60 seconds of a battery charge. I've actually had no problem with over-heating of battery or motor, prob'ly 'cause I spend so much time walking over to pick it up and relaunch! I'll keep trying all the trim suggestions. As I've said, I've had no problems flying a Vapor in the same rooms, even got so I could do touch and gos off a lab table.
coolstar is offline Find More Posts by coolstar
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:57 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
Anyone tried the Vapor or J-3 motor in a Mini Vapor? I got to fly one in a gym last nite and it was kinda neat but left me thinking it could use more power. Would get a little heavier, the brick might not handle it, would probably need the 70 mah battery. Being able to loop from level flight (and really hover) would make it more interesting. Was wondering if anyone had tried it?
I'd try a higher-performance battery and maybe a different prop before going to a larger motor. With the HH UMs, a simple battery change often increases thrust-to-weight by 10-20%. Coupled with a better prop, 25-35% is common.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:28 PM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
For looping easier i suggest moving the elevator pushrod in, havent done it, but it seems its resistance to looping is just elevator throw.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:45 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
For looping easier i suggest moving the elevator pushrod in, havent done it, but it seems its resistance to looping is just elevator throw.
+1!

I maxed the rudder & elevator throws before the maiden. This thing is extremely agile! I can do loops in the living room & 360-degree turns that are less than 3' in diameter!

Just be sure that the elevator doesn't hit the rudder when you pull the stick all the way back.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:43 PM
Registered User
I R Irv's Avatar
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
+1!

I maxed the rudder & elevator throws before the maiden. This thing is extremely agile! I can do loops in the living room & 360-degree turns that are less than 3' in diameter!

Just be sure that the elevator doesn't hit the rudder when you pull the stick all the way back.

Joel
Turbo if your into modifying, here's a couple that will really tighten your loops and turns.
TODD
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=40
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:39 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Todd,

Thanks for the link! Lots of interesting stuff going on over there!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:54 PM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
I finally got to fly mine in a gymnasium where I could see what it was doing and do some serious straight line trimming. The battery is back almost to the CG mark (connector is overlapping the CG). I haven't moved the control rods but I can see where it might be worthwhile. I had fun with it and I will try flying it in the house again now but it really does hit me as a 1 trick pony. I guess I get bored too easily
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:09 AM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
Turbo if your into modifying, here's a couple that will really tighten your loops and turns.
TODD
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=40
Todd, where did you get the ball bearing gearbox, or did you make it?

Thanks, John
jhark37 is offline Find More Posts by jhark37
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:15 PM
Registered User
pgoelz's Avatar
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I finally got to fly mine in a gymnasium where I could see what it was doing and do some serious straight line trimming. The battery is back almost to the CG mark (connector is overlapping the CG). I haven't moved the control rods but I can see where it might be worthwhile. I had fun with it and I will try flying it in the house again now but it really does hit me as a 1 trick pony. I guess I get bored too easily
Since as you say it kinda is a "one trick pony", I have been figuring out what other "tricks" I might be able to teach it. So far......

1. Carrier landing on my chest as I lean backwards. Easy to do.

2. Carrier landing on my arm, ala "pirate parrot". Almost as easy as #1.

3. Loops. Not easy with the stock setup but possible.

4. Inverted flight. VERY not easy, but I actually had it inverted for a while when trying to loop it.

5. Take off and land on the coffee table in my family room. VERY difficult (the flying space is currently shared by a Christmas tree) but I have done it twice so far. Take off is easy but since the entire flight is spent turning, it is hard to get set up for the landing.

6. Land back in its carrying box at the end of a flight. Pretty easy.

7. Fly as slowly as possible in high alpha. This is pretty easy and fun.

8. Fly up to the heat vent in the indoor space we fly in and get buffeted around by the "gale force" winds.

9. Land on my head. So far, haven't succeeded.

So you CAN have fun with an otherwise limited (but VERY difficult to damage) airplane.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:05 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
9. Land on my head. So far, haven't succeeded.
Don't give up, man, you will succeed.

A few years ago a traveling circus came to our little town. The performance was not in a giant stadium, but in a high school gym, and I got to see the action from only 20 feet away. There was one act that will remain in my mind forever. There was a guy on a unicycle who was using balance and small back and forth movements to keep it in one place. We've seen this before, except this guy was only using one foot (aided by a toe-clip on the pedal) and that left his other foot free.

He stuck his free foot out and his assistant put a soup bowl upside down on his toe and he balanced it (while keeping the unicycle going with the other foot of course). Then he flipped the bowl up into the air and moved his body and got it to land on his head, upright. The assistant put another bowl on his toe and he flipped it and it landed into the other bowl. That went on for 4 more bowls until there were 6 stacked soup bowls on the guy's head, and still only one foot operating the unicycle. Anything is possible!!!
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:27 PM
Registered User
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
692 Posts
Well, while this little MV is EXTREMELY resilient and resistant to crash damage involving walls, floors, furniture, and other household dangers, I've found it is unfortunately not cat proof!

One of our young cats snuck into my hobby room and had fun eating 1/2 of a small shamrock plant, chewing up both ends of my Sukhoi XP's prop, and chewing up the top of the MV's rudder!

XP repair was easy...had more props anyway. But in working on a temporary fix for the MV, I discovered what I suspected = trying to straighten out a chewed and bent carbon fiber rod results in it breaking. Foamsafe CA on that and some clear packing tape over the holes torn in the rudder material have gotten her back in the air. She flys, but not with as much control authority, for sure. A new rudder is now on order from my LHS.

As Charlie Brown says: AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!


Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:24 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
Well, while this little MV is EXTREMELY resilient and resistant to crash damage involving walls, floors, furniture, and other household dangers, I've found it is unfortunately not cat proof!

One of our young cats snuck into my hobby room and had fun eating 1/2 of a small shamrock plant, chewing up both ends of my Sukhoi XP's prop, and chewing up the top of the MV's rudder!

XP repair was easy...had more props anyway. But in working on a temporary fix for the MV, I discovered what I suspected = trying to straighten out a chewed and bent carbon fiber rod results in it breaking. Foamsafe CA on that and some clear packing tape over the holes torn in the rudder material have gotten her back in the air. She flys, but not with as much control authority, for sure. A new rudder is now on order from my LHS.

As Charlie Brown says: AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!


Tom
Bummer! Regarding cats & planes - I learned the hard way that even my fabric-covered 1/4-scale Super Cub isn't kitty-proof! Kitty decided to practice 'wing-walking' one day. Unfortunately, the wings were stored vertically at the time.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:33 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Here is the solution to all your kitty-related problems, from a classic Steve Martin movie...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-TED..._cat_juggling/
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:32 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,173 Posts
got mine today - however haven't flown yet as I'm out it of due to having my wisdom teeth removed - perhaps tomorrow I'll be due for a few indoor sorties
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:37 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Here is the solution to all your kitty-related problems, from a classic Steve Martin movie...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-TED..._cat_juggling/
LOL! It's been a long time since I've seen that!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted I Need a Parkzone (Vapor) DSM2 Rec/ESC/servo "Brick" *** Joe Pierson Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 25, 2012 10:27 PM
Sold parkzone vapor bnf original $50.00 shipped chrisb22 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Mar 03, 2012 01:25 PM