HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:59 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
I find the weight hard to believe also, but the original Vapor was advertised at 12 grams if I remember correctly.
TODD
Maybe HH ordered the Scale HK uses.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:33 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Quote:
I find the weight hard to believe also, but the original Vapor was advertised at 12 grams if I remember correctly.
TODD
Todd,
My memory is different. I believe they always advertised it as 15.0g. You can go to the Horizon site, and when in the BnF section click a box to show "only discontinued items", and then it will show discontinued planes such as the original Vapor and the Extra. And, there they list its specs including its weight at 15g.

I think Horizon has always been very accurate with their stated weights of micro planes and components. I can't think of an example where they have listed or advertised one of their micro planes as anything other than weight including the recommended battery.

I remember when they first came out with the external linear servo I was amazed that they listed it at 1.5g, and that was its weight on my scale including the wire and plug.

So, if they list this plane at 8.6g then I believe them. But, that's just me. Maybe I'm just hoping for a sub 3g brick.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:49 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
I remember when the vapor first came out there was a flub on the spec and the accidentally advertised it as 12g, realized their mistake quickly and changed it to 15g.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:01 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Nope, the Vapor would weight 1.5Kg... At least that's how much they would evaluate the weight to charge me for shipping!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:02 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Ok, here goes. This in no way is knocking Horizon. But, my guess from eyeballing the motor and gearbox in the picture is that they may be using a 6x10mm motor similar to the one Ares is using in their Nano-Stik. Ares uses a 30mAh cell with Parkzone style end and identical plug. Horizon's specs list a 30mAh cell for the Micro Vapor.

Here are weights of the original Vapor, and its 6mm gearbox with prop and rubber spinner, and its 70mAh cell and 3.3g Vapor brick.

To the right is the stated weight of the Mini Vapor. If we assume they use a gearbox and prop (3.2 inch) similar to the one in the Ares, and if their 30mAh cell weighs about the same as the Ares 30mAh cell, then we can calculate implied airframe weights for both planes if they use the same Vapor brick.

As can be seen, the Vapor airframe weight is about 5.5g. To achieve the 8.6g weight of the Mini Vapor they would have to reduce the weight of the airframe to a mere 1.6g, which I think is highly unlikely. My best guess is that they do save weight on the airframe, but also have a new brick that is lighter than the original Vapor's 3.3g.

Here is a picture of a Vapor motor and gearbox with 70mAh cell next to the Aers smaller 6mm gearbox and their 35mAh cell, as well as the official picture of the Aeres plane (which I got for my daughter and she flew at our indoor yesterday).

Hope this helps. And, I hope my guess of a lighter brick is correct.

This is all predicated on the 8.6g weight being correct.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Oct 22, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:13 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Thanks Gordon, nice work!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
Todd,
My memory is different. I believe they always advertised it as 15.0g.
Gordon
I wish someone had the original box because I'm sure it was even printed on it as 12grams. I also remember members here complaining that the actual weight of the Vapor being something like 20 percent higher than the advertised weight.

Gamblers going to be a happy camper when the bring out a new micro 3D plane that is based on the Vapor. All carbon-fiber and Mylar with those little plastic connectors.
TODD

found part of it
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888584
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Last edited by I R Irv; Oct 22, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:23 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
I wish someone had the original box because I'm sure it was even printed on it as 12grams. I also remember members here complaining that the actual weight of the Vapor being something like 20 percent higher than the advertised weight.

Gamblers going to be a happy camper when the bring out a new micro 3D plane that is based on the Vapor. All carbon-fiber and Mylar with those little plastic connectors.
TODD

found part of it
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888584
Well, I have a whole bunch of them, with the boxes, and I just checked. All my boxes say 15grams. I bought my first one when they came out, so I checked all my boxes, and they all say 15grams. I'm in Canada though, so maybe they had a bad batches of boxes printed in the USA?

And I think I still want them to make a Extra 300 3D, same size, but with a 1S brushless over a micro-size Extra... But sure enough, I would not spit on a half size Extra either. Life is hard!

Here's some pics, from my private Vapor collection, for both versions: RTF and BNF.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:43 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
What if they use a lighter weight battery connector? It would only be a little bit. Horizon hobby wont explicitly lie.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:45 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
What if they use a lighter weight battery connector? It would only be a little bit. Horizon hobby wont explicitly lie.
Fiber carbon battery tray and receiver bracket maybe? And sure enough, a carbon fiber propeller shave some weight as well. But airplane price would go up though.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:54 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
This is the Win!

As for the plane, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it was available. I fly my night vapor inside, but it's a tight fit, and I'm in a near constant turn to keep it off the living room walls
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:33 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Tony, when inside, fly it in a constant harrier to fly better in your living room.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:14 PM
Dave Register
Bartlesville, OK
Joined Jul 2004
908 Posts
Would love to have one of these for basement flying. Thanks for the various analyses, to which I'll add a minor point:

- note that the ad indicates the radio is DSM2/DSMX compatible.

Just checked the Spektrum website and the AR6400 is only DSM2 (unless I missed something). So this may not be the standard brick receiver.

On the other hand, it could all be 'Vapor-ware'.

However, a friend of mine has the latest mag with the ad and we both really want one!

- Dave R
okiesoar is offline Find More Posts by okiesoar
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:26 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,151 Posts
Wow, you guys are gonna make my wallet cry...already ordered some stuff from hobbyking and now of course I have to get THIS. I searched it, came up empty handed, is it even real? I would think so but this is the first and only thing ive saw about it.

-joker
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Apr 2001
372 Posts
I sent an email to horizon hobby a couple of days ago..I just recieved a answer today from Dennis Davenport...He said "check our website in a couple of days there should be some info then'.
Flyboy70 is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy70