SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:30 AM
Registered User
flydown's Avatar
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
[/COLOR]



Personally, I really don't want 2 planes that fly the same, anyway. I like variety. Every plane in my hangar is unique, so I can fly according to my mood or weather conditions or field choices (inside - outside, big - small field, aerobatic - pattern, 3D - sailplane soaring, civie - warbird, parkflyr - micro, etc.). It's ALL great!

Tom
+1 on what you said. I feel exactly the same way about my planes.
If you click on my avatar (dog) I list my planes and the reasons for purchasing them.
flydown is online now Find More Posts by flydown
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:29 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
45 Posts
I've been reading this forum, trying to decide whether or not to get one of these. It sounds like most people, like myself, are looking for something that is super-slow and easier to fly in the house than a Night Vapor. There have been some positive reports from several people who say it is definitely easier to fly in tight spaces.

Many of these people are also saying it doesn't go as slow as they hoped, but the increased maneuverablilty makes it all possible. I've seen some videos of some super-slow scratchbuilt planes that would do the job for sure. There was one post where the guy said he bought the MV just so he could use the hardware in a homebuilt plane. Does anybody know of any kits or plans or rtf planes in that category?
Puddytatter is offline Find More Posts by Puddytatter
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:52 PM
Registered User
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
+1 on what you said. I feel exactly the same way about my planes.
If you click on my avatar (dog) I list my planes and the reasons for purchasing them.
Flydown,
I checked out your hangar list. Quite impressive! They represent an excellent wide range of flying interests and capabilities.

So's your future additions "want list". The jets would be great additions!

You might also want to consider Parkzone's:
+ UM Mosquito - a really beautiful and fun micro twin that's very impressive in the air and the twin motors sound so cool on close flybys
+ parkflyer F4F Wildcat - would be a beautiful stablemate to your P-51...similar, but different in handling
+ Radian sailplane - one of the most relaxing flying experiences, especially if you have a good place for thermal hunting

Thanks for sharing!
Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:54 PM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Why didnt horizon release this years ago!? Its perfect!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:26 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,768 Posts
Was at the LHS today to pick up a spare Carbon Cub & I got to fly one of these! Needless to say, I just had to bring one home! I've been flying circuits & figure-eights in a 10' x 16' room! This thing is an absolute blast! ROT is a new thing for me, as are 3-foot approaches & 6-inch rollouts.

I found that with the right CG, I can fly it as a throttle/rudder ship if I wish.

BTW - I tested the LVC on mine. I'm getting 3 min to LVC. It kicks in @ 66%-73% discharge (20-22 mAh required to recharge). So, it appears that my brick won't let me use 80% of the cell's capacity (24 mAh). This is the first UM brick I've tested on which LVC kicks in before the 80% discharge point. In fact, LVC doesn't kick in until 90-95% on all of the other 1s & 2s fixed-wing & rotorcraft UM bricks I've owned, which is a total of 30+. There are two possibilities: 1) The 30 mAh cell sags enough under load that LVC kicks in early. 2) HH used a more conservative LVC setting on this brick.

To those who are using hobby-grade chargers - what are you getting for discharge depths & flight-times?

Charger beeped. It's time for another living room patrol sortie.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:35 PM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Joel, happy your happy, every flight im loving this lil birdie more and more. Its probably going to end up as one of my most flown planes.
I want to experiment with obstacle sources!
It really does its job, flying just like the vapor but in a smaller place! You can do some pretty awesome tail slides with this thing to that you cant do with the big vapor.
Someone's watching tv in the living room?
No prob, ill just fly in my bedroom!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:30 AM
Registered User
flydown's Avatar
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
Flydown,
I checked out your hangar list. Quite impressive! They represent an excellent wide range of flying interests and capabilities.

So's your future additions "want list". The jets would be great additions!

You might also want to consider Parkzone's:
+ UM Mosquito - a really beautiful and fun micro twin that's very impressive in the air and the twin motors sound so cool on close flybys
+ parkflyer F4F Wildcat - would be a beautiful stablemate to your P-51...similar, but different in handling
+ Radian sailplane - one of the most relaxing flying experiences, especially if you have a good place for thermal hunting

Thanks for sharing!
Tom
Thanks for your suggestions. I may have to add a sailplane to my want list since it is completely different than anything I currently own and would fulfill another style of flying.
flydown is online now Find More Posts by flydown
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:22 AM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Pete P's Avatar
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Howdy, ladies and gents!

Anybody swap out the Mini-V prop for an Ember prop? I'm seeing lower power consumption, and slightly reduced thrust- But still enough for vertical. I believe motor load is reduced- Static WOT testing for a solid 2 minutes left a motor barely warm to the touch.
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:54 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete P View Post
Howdy, ladies and gents!

Anybody swap out the Mini-V prop for an Ember prop? I'm seeing lower power consumption, and slightly reduced thrust- But still enough for vertical. I believe motor load is reduced- Static WOT testing for a solid 2 minutes left a motor barely warm to the touch.
Interesting. I noticed that the prop on my MV was bent right out of the box. The blades are not a perfect 180 degrees with respect to each other, which causes a fair amount of vibration. I'll be stopping by my LHS today anyway, so I think I'll pick up an Ember prop while I'm there.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
ISP Supervisor
makg's Avatar
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
Just came back from a RCG hiatus and noticed this and the new Sbach. What's the consensus on this? It looks fun, but flying in high alpha all the time (which I have seen in the videos) to make it a LRF does not. Should I pull the trigger? We have a fairly large living area.
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:27 PM
Fly long and land softly
Jim_Marconnet's Avatar
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,389 Posts
I've found the Vapor and then the Night Vapor to fly high alpha very easily compared to other planes which I've flown. I'd expect the Mini Vapor to fly easily in high alpha too. Try it before you decide yay/nay for yourself.
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
45 Posts
There is a good way to get the Night Vapor to fly in super-high alpha and very slow. You just let the battery hang from it's connector and that moves the cg way back and also down. I know it sounds silly, but it really works well! Has anybody tried this with a MV?
Puddytatter is offline Find More Posts by Puddytatter
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:37 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Just came back from a RCG hiatus and noticed this and the new Sbach. What's the consensus on this? It looks fun, but flying in high alpha all the time (which I have seen in the videos) to make it a LRF does not. Should I pull the trigger? We have a fairly large living area.
I think it's a blast. I can fly circuits around my living room & kitchen up on the wing, do coffee table takeoffs, spot-land on an 11' x 9' notebook, and fly high-alpha figure-eights in a 10' x 16' space. Pretty versatile little plane, I'd say. Next thing is to see if I can do a loop with it in the living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddytatter View Post
There is a good way to get the Night Vapor to fly in super-high alpha and very slow. You just let the battery hang from it's connector and that moves the cg way back and also down. I know it sounds silly, but it really works well! Has anybody tried this with a MV?
Yup! Did it accidentally once. Had me laughing pretty good. Now I sometimes move the batt as far aft as possible just for grins & fly it around the living room like a rudder/throttle plane.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:32 PM
ISP Supervisor
makg's Avatar
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
Would it be possible to remove the hideous graphics on the wing? Perhaps with alcohol or something?
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:39 PM
Registered User
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
I believe rubbing alcohol will take off the graphics.
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted I Need a Parkzone (Vapor) DSM2 Rec/ESC/servo "Brick" *** Joe Pierson Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 25, 2012 10:27 PM
Sold parkzone vapor bnf original $50.00 shipped chrisb22 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Mar 03, 2012 01:25 PM