HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:03 PM
Flyer
Rairwalk's Avatar
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Nov 2008
204 Posts
Maybe so. It's best not to run them down to low voltage cuttoff first few times. I like this little plane. It's very maneuverable. First thing I did was trim some weight by taking the sticker off the lipo and also cliping the twisty tie down that holds the wiring together near the Rx. I know it's not much but any little weight changes make a difference on a plane of this size. I like the flight battery about 1mm back from the landing gear, almost right against it. Flies very well here.
Rairwalk is offline Find More Posts by Rairwalk
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:56 PM
Can't get enough
jabsten's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,184 Posts
Wow that's far forward. I like mine near the brick.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:21 PM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,543 Posts
Finally got to maiden my MV, plus another flight. Condtions not exactly the best, that being outdoors, at 48 degree F, and just a hint of some wind. Can't say I was all that impressed. The stock battery hit LVC at 5-1/2 minutes, and I am not really into the "high alpha" attitude in flying, one of the reasons I really like my Embers. So, I made some trim changes on the DX6i, also decided to try a larger capacity battery, a ParkZone 120mAh. To my surprise, the MV was able to hoist it and (with trim adjustments) the plane flew more level, for 12 minutes. It's laboring, however, the result I am sure of the added weight. As I see it now, this Micro will really be an indoor flyer, at temps 60+ F. In defense of the MV, I need to get in many more flights, but not withstanding what will be flown indoors at our indoor events, there will be - hopefully - many more outdoor flights in dead calm conditions. I'll also be trying some of the original 70mah 1S lipos that came with, or, were obtained for the Embers (which now fly with MA 190's).

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:11 PM
4000 posts?!
micro_builder's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,034 Posts
Puddytatter, I'm using the newest version of Windows Movie Maker, works like a charm.

I'm using 30mah lipos I got from bidproducts.com, they weigh .1g more than stock (could be lower if I trim the wires), but I can get a near 10 minute flight with them.

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:24 AM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,085 Posts
My observations,

The motor gets EXTREMELY hot, since its soldered directly to the board i recommend not running any battery of larger capacity more than five minutes without a rest, im actually running mine in 2 min 30 second increments.

My wing has negative incidence, do other observe this on theirs?

EXTREMELY powerful, fast vertical on fresh battery.

While im not ecstatic at its very slow capabilities i am extremely happy. Even though its not necessarilly twice as slow as the regular vapor, its small size and manueverability make it able to fly in half the space. Very fun, compared to the Vapor this is a true LRF.

Its not exactly relaxing like the big vapor, but its fun, fast paced fun.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:07 AM
Registered User
Bill Glover's Avatar
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,417 Posts
As mentioned the stock battery on the Mini is smaller in relation to the size/weight of plane than the standard Vapor's. So flights will be shorter.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:09 AM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,085 Posts
I have a disability that affects my motor skills, so im just concerned about soldering a new motor since they deleted the plug for weight, just want to make the motor last as long as possible.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:18 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairwalk View Post
Maybe so. It's best not to run them down to low voltage cuttoff first few times. I like this little plane. It's very maneuverable. First thing I did was trim some weight by taking the sticker off the lipo and also cliping the twisty tie down that holds the wiring together near the Rx. I know it's not much but any little weight changes make a difference on a plane of this size. I like the flight battery about 1mm back from the landing gear, almost right against it. Flies very well here.
Actually - you are never supposed to fly until LVC kicks in on any of the UM or UMX bricks, as doing so typically results in a 90-95% discharge. LiPos should never be discharged deeper than 80% - as calculated by how many mAh it takes to recharge divided by capacity. (Unloaded voltage is an extremely poor & unreliable measure of discharge-depth.) Flying to LVC more than once or twice will damage your LIPos & dramatically reduce their performance & cycle-life.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:30 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Flying to LVC more than once or twice will damage your LIPos & dramatically reduce their performance & cycle-life.

Joel
I can tell you that is true. We had a funfly last Saturday and I only had one battery for the Mini Vapor. So we were charging it too fast and discharging it too far. By the end of the day the battery was junk.

One thing that was really fun with it was I trimmed it out for a slight left turn and level flight. I was able to take off, put the transmitter on the table and not touch it again (it did large circles and even landed when the battery was low.....again another reason we junked the battery but it was fun).

One of the guys there could not figure out how there was a plane in the air but no one flying it hehehe
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:16 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33 View Post
One of the guys there could not figure out how there was a plane in the air but no one flying it hehehe
Yah, I like to do that with the Radian, and people get confused. More than any of my other planes, it can do the free-flight thing for a long time. It is even more relaxing to fly than the Night Vapor.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
Crashomatic
CrashMeUp's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,043 Posts
it depends on the LVC setup (the micros usually do have lvc set low enough that you wanna stop flying before lvc kicks in tho..).. but given how small the batt is and how fast it is to charge, is it really an issue ? :P 5min bang its ready ;-)
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:19 PM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,085 Posts
Flew them back to back in the same large living room.

My fingers have warmed up to the MV, so there is less wing rock and slow flight is more stable, ROT(Rise Off Table:wink is tons of fun and landing is four times as much fun.

When i took the NV out of the box i was like wow!, its so BIG!!! It can fly almost as slow as the MV, but with a stock motor and twice the size it doesnt have the power and manueverability to be as free as the MV is inside a small place, which also makes ROTs harder.

I would say the MV flew twice as well in the small place as the NV.
Im really glad i have both, if youre looking for one i say get the Night Vapor, but they're both amazing. Really glad i have both, the Night Vapor will patrol at midnight and the Mini Vapor will be my couch bird. Really happy.

EDIT; Even though i already mentioned this, the motor gets extremely hot, hotter than any other brushed plane ive ever flow, however, it cools down as quickly as it heats up. I would like to see if others are experiencing it, just want to make sure its pretty normal.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Last edited by airpower; Nov 26, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:20 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Are there any cheap, 3rd party batteries that are small enough for the Mini Vapor?
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:17 PM
4000 posts?!
micro_builder's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,034 Posts
5pc 50mah $2.97
5pc 30mah?? $3.97

Not sure what size the 2nd link is, but they look small enough to be 30mah. Mentioned it earlier, but I bought the 5 pack of the 30mahs from bidproducts back when they were actually listed and they work great, near 10min flights. I didnt trim the wires to length and added a micro connector, weight comes out to .1g more than the stock lipo. Super cheap, but shipping can take a long time.

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:25 AM
Registered User
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Flew them back to back in the same large living room.

My fingers have warmed up to the MV, so there is less wing rock and slow flight is more stable, ROT(Rise Off Table:wink is tons of fun and landing is four times as much fun.

When i took the NV out of the box i was like wow!, its so BIG!!! It can fly almost as slow as the MV, but with a stock motor and twice the size it doesnt have the power and manueverability to be as free as the MV is inside a small place, which also makes ROTs harder.

I would say the MV flew twice as well in the small place as the NV.
Im really glad i have both, if youre looking for one i say get the Night Vapor, but they're both amazing. Really glad i have both, the Night Vapor will patrol at midnight and the Mini Vapor will be my couch bird. Really happy.

EDIT; Even though i already mentioned this, the motor gets extremely hot, hotter than any other brushed plane ive ever flow, however, it cools down as quickly as it heats up. I would like to see if others are experiencing it, just want to make sure its pretty normal.


Airpower,
Since you asked, I have experienced the same thing. If it's flown for awhile... even for just 1 battery... the motor heats up quite a bit. Understandably gets hotter the more high alpha/slow flying I do. But cools down quickly. So I give it time to cool down between flights. (good idea for any rc aircraft motor)

Only time will tell us if this means these little motors will have a shorter life span than those on the original Vapor, Night Vapor, or Ember.

+1 on your other reports, too. Good comparison with NV. Both planes are great!

Personally, I really don't want 2 planes that fly the same, anyway. I like variety. Every plane in my hangar is unique, so I can fly according to my mood or weather conditions or field choices (inside - outside, big - small field, aerobatic - pattern, 3D - sailplane soaring, civie - warbird, parkflyr - micro, etc.). It's ALL great!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted I Need a Parkzone (Vapor) DSM2 Rec/ESC/servo "Brick" *** Joe Pierson Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 25, 2012 10:27 PM
Sold parkzone vapor bnf original $50.00 shipped chrisb22 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Mar 03, 2012 01:25 PM