Joined Nov 2011
1,033 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks!
TScott1118 is offline Find More Posts by TScott1118
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:22 AM
Joined Jun 2008
702 Posts
Been flying mine in my workshop and my living room and it's such a blast. Love this bird. Much more fun than my night vapor. I've even been able to get it to loop in my shop! This is one of those things you just marvel at from HH. A great product and tons of fun.
tamiyafan1975 is offline Find More Posts by tamiyafan1975
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
805 Posts
Took both my Night Vapor and Mini Vapor out in the front yard this morning. Cool, bright sunshine, almost no wind.

NV did it's usual beautiful job...smooth, gorgeous flight.

On its first outside flight...MV did the same! Bounced about just a little occaisionally, but that just increased the fun. Looks BEAUTIFUL with the sun coming down through the clear, red, and other colors on the wings! Did a carrier takeoff from my SUV's roof. Totally cool!

Yup...inside and outside, this lil' bird's a winner!
Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:30 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
T Scott, more specifically high alpha refers to such a high angle of attack(AOA) that the wing is stalled, and that the majority of upwards lift is generated by the prop. Around 45 degrees is considered a harrier, more exagerrated is referred to as a prop hang, and then more starts to be a hover. This is usually done with 3D aerobatic planes, but the vapor excels at itand is the best way to fly in tight spaces.
Extremely glad to hear this bird flies just like the normal vapor, the eighty dollar price actually seems perfect to me, you get twice the fun in any room of your house! And my night vapor will patrol the dark, absolutely perfect.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TScott1118 View Post
What is "high alpha flying"? Never heard that term before.
Watch this video.
Parkzone Night Vapor RTF indoor flight flight (4 min 8 sec)

For the first minute, the pilot has the Vapor in a normal flight attitude. At about 1 minute in to the video, you will see high alpha flight, with the nose higher and flying slower. The flight from about 1:20 to 1:30 is nice and slow, making flight in a small space easier.

I use high alpha to do figure 8's in my not-large living room with my original Vapor. I have not had a chance to use the MV in the house yet.
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Apr 2001
376 Posts
Great video
Flyboy70 is online now Find More Posts by Flyboy70
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Nov 2012
45 Posts
That was a very nice video for sure with good steady camera work. Wish I had a space that big to fly in. It would be great to see some videos of the MV in action, flying at high alpha and doing super-slow harriers. The flight reports I have been hearing sound awesome. Maybe Santa will be good to me...

Here is a link to some videos (not mine) of a LightFlite Bug which is a slow flyer. It is not a small plane, and not light either (6oz) and yet this guy manages to fly it in his house. It gives a good demonstration of high alpha, prop hanging, and hovering. Can the MV actually hover?

I really liked the one called "The River" and "The Bedroom". This guy is obviously very skilled, and could probably fly a Vapor in his car.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3490
Puddytatter is offline Find More Posts by Puddytatter
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:49 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
And where did you get the $15.00 off coupon???.......

Kevin
I am on Hobbytown's email list, they send coupons out every other month or so. I think that one was for 15.00 off a purchase of 60.00 or more. The very next day I got another coupon from them for 20.00 off a purchase of 100.00 or more, so I'm heading back today to get myself an early Christmas present (Edge! ) Another cool thing is Hobbytown also gives out 5.00 off coupons at the register when you make a big purchase, I think it's for every 50.00 spent? Or maybe 100.00? And those can be used like cash- in combination with any other offer. The only downfall is the coupons typically have a quick expiration, the 20.00 off coupon I just got is only good through Sunday.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:55 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddytatter View Post
Can the MV actually hover?
No rudder/elevator plane can hold a controlled hover.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Nov 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
No rudder/elevator plane can hold a controlled hover.
Here is a video of a guy (not me) hovering a rudder/elevator Radian, and it looks like he could hold it there all day. Anyway, sorry to be so far off-topic. I like my Night Vapor and will probably get a MV as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ggGG-09fOdQ
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:24 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddytatter View Post
Here is a video of a guy (not me) hovering a rudder/elevator Radian
That demonstrates exactly what I mean. Without ailerons you can't counteract the prop torque, and it rolls out to the left. Not a controlled hover.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Nov 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
That demonstrates exactly what I mean. Without ailerons you can't counteract the prop torque, and it rolls out to the left. Not a controlled hover.
It is true that in the strictest sense, it is not a controlled hover. However in a practical sense it is impressive for a 3-channel airplane. The reason I would like to be able to hover a Vapor or MV is just to get that extra couple of seconds to get it together for the rest of the circuit in a confined space.

If you and your Vapor could do what that kid is doing, flying in small spaces would be even easier. My night vapor does not have enough power to perform such a maneuver. If the MV could do it, even with the roll to the left, that would be a big step forward for flying in your house.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:36 PM
the flying fool
canal fulton,oh
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
Just wondering where everyone is locating there battery. I have tried all different positions just for me it seems to fly the best around the middle but seems to have a big flight envelope except for all the way back by the brick then it was just to tail heavy and had no control
crash1414 is offline Find More Posts by crash1414
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:04 AM
the flying fool
canal fulton,oh
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
Has anyone attempted to try and shave some weight off the thing? I've been looking at a couple things but didn't want to do to much until my lhs has some spare parts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:14 PM
the flying fool
canal fulton,oh
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
Have also discovered flying to many circuits in a small room it will eventually get squirly from its own wake turbulence