J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:10 AM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,696 Posts
My MV review
I ordered 2, one for me and one for my girlfriend. We maidened them in the cul-de-sac to confirm that we had a proper bind and that everything worked properly. It was too breezy to do more than that.
Last night was the indoor. Large 3 basketball court gym. Flight behavior is similar to the Original Vapor and NV. Big hit with all the other pilots.
After the pylon races (several heats with cub/champs) I went out and tried to pop the helium balloon. It just kept bouncing off the balloon. I think that some of the circles I was flying around the ribbon holding the balloon were smaller in radius than the balloon itself.
I have not yet flown this in my living room. I do fly my Vapor and the girlfriends NV in my medium/smallish living room. But I did not want to risk the new MV in house-flying tests before the indoor meet at the gym.
I will report later when I have had a chance to try.

One flat note in this symphony of goodness. We could not keep a bind. Between the 2 vapors, we put in about 6 flights. And we had to bind 6 times. I do not know if we are doing something wrong with the process. We have 20 or so UM birds we fly, and we have not had this same need to bind this often with other planes. Oh, the occasional one where we have not flown a particular model in 18 months or so, but I always wrote those off to possible re-use of the TX model memory for testing other planes.

Anyone else have problems keeping the bind between flights?
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:28 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Herman View Post
My MV review
I ordered 2, one for me and one for my girlfriend. We maidened them in the cul-de-sac to confirm that we had a proper bind and that everything worked properly. It was too breezy to do more than that.
Last night was the indoor. Large 3 basketball court gym. Flight behavior is similar to the Original Vapor and NV. Big hit with all the other pilots.
After the pylon races (several heats with cub/champs) I went out and tried to pop the helium balloon. It just kept bouncing off the balloon. I think that some of the circles I was flying around the ribbon holding the balloon were smaller in radius than the balloon itself.
I have not yet flown this in my living room. I do fly my Vapor and the girlfriends NV in my medium/smallish living room. But I did not want to risk the new MV in house-flying tests before the indoor meet at the gym.
I will report later when I have had a chance to try.

One flat note in this symphony of goodness. We could not keep a bind. Between the 2 vapors, we put in about 6 flights. And we had to bind 6 times. I do not know if we are doing something wrong with the process. We have 20 or so UM birds we fly, and we have not had this same need to bind this often with other planes. Oh, the occasional one where we have not flown a particular model in 18 months or so, but I always wrote those off to possible re-use of the TX model memory for testing other planes.

Anyone else have problems keeping the bind between flights?
Twice I thought I had lost bind but removing battery and reinstalling fixed the bind.
Both time TX was on first so not sure why but removing battery fixed it both times.
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2010
10 Posts
Another short review.

To sum it up, it can go where the Night Vapor cannot. I have a 10'x10' room that I could barely fly the Night Vapor in. It was a wall bashing miracle if I made a circut.

The Mini Vapor has changed that room into a flying field complete with a carrier deck coffee table. I can do tight turns, fast flight, slow flight, verticals, figure eights. The only downside is the A/C vent is my enemy, it gives some wild turbulence when going though the stream. But it does make it through without crashing. A good 4-5 minutes of fight time as well, even with full throttle time. Harriers to my "carrier" deck and boom and zoom are some of my favorite things to do.

When it does crash, it is sturdy and can take a hit, although in most cases you can hit a wall, bounce off, and keep flying. It's like bumper airplanes.

Perfect plane for in the house flying.
Turkee is offline Find More Posts by Turkee
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Apr 2001
360 Posts
That is the report I was looking for...Thanks Turkee I orderd my today ..
Flyboy70 is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy70
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:03 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,393 Posts
Particularly if you're using an old DSM2 transmitter, try putting the transmitter farther away when you plug in the battery. (As much as 6 ft. if you can). It does seem to help with the binding problem on the other aircrafts released since they started making DSMX receivers.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:49 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
191 Posts
Thinking of getting a MV for winter flying. My sun lounge is 4.5m x 3.5m, will the MV fly well in this area?
Not really into high alpha flying so will it be too fast for my room?
Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Cheers for now
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:29 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
3D stuff? Like what lol?

J
OK...not 3D stuff like my 3D Beast! But harriers and prop hanging are fun! The new Edge 540QQ 280 doesn't have to worry...no competition to it from the MV!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygeneration View Post
Thinking of getting a MV for winter flying. My sun lounge is 4.5m x 3.5m, will the MV fly well in this area?
Not really into high alpha flying so will it be too fast for my room?
Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Cheers for now
You'll have to go into high alpha...or at least partial high alpha (is that an official term? ) to fly it slow. Smaller planes fly faster...or at least appear to do so proportionally. This little bird is quick, and in level flight, can move!

That said, it's VERY durable! Most everything it hits...it won't break. And neither will the MV!

I would suggest flying it in a larger area to trim it out, though, as others have done. And it's increasingly more controllable the better tx you use.

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:31 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
837 Posts
Finally had time to trim out at club house. Moved battery all the way forward (stock battery) and had to add some down elevator to get it fly level. Your right a bit zippy compared to vapor. Needs some expo on rudder. Very durable.
I like it wish it had lights on it to fly after dark, my favorite time with night vapor when winds a calm and just pop out to street in front of house.
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
You'll have to go into high alpha...or at least partial high alpha (is that an official term? ) to fly it slow. Smaller planes fly faster...or at least appear to do so proportionally. This little bird is quick, and in level flight, can move!

That said, it's VERY durable! Most everything it hits...it won't break. And neither will the MV!

I would suggest flying it in a larger area to trim it out, though, as others have done. And it's increasingly more controllable the better tx you use.

Tom
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:13 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
191 Posts
Cheers for reply shepfyr
I've got a dx6i and santa is getting me a dx8 ,,well told wife to get it for me which means i buy it and she wraps it up lol
Got most of the umx planes and micro heli's, this will be a bit of fun for indoors.
Cheers
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
Used a 15.00 off coupon, so it was a great deal at 64.99
And where did you get the $15.00 off coupon???.......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Jul 2011
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
And where did you get the $15.00 off coupon???.......

Kevin
It was a program that ended a few days ago. The coupon was on the Horizon website and you could use it to either order directly from them or take it to your hobby shop
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:43 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
484 Posts
What is "high alpha flying"? Never heard that term before.
TScott1118 is offline Find More Posts by TScott1118
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:28 PM
Citizen 46
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TScott1118 View Post
What is "high alpha flying"? Never heard that term before.
I think it refers to a high "angle of attack." Real slow with the nose pointing to the heavens.
rnettles is offline Find More Posts by rnettles