SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:05 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
turning radius depends on a lot. technicly a loop is a turn with very little X axis movment (forward and backward).

then again, if you can hover the thing, a roll is a turn, with NO movement.

if you fly 'on the wing' its a different story. it get real difficult to say how something will fly as an 'armchair pilot'.

im still on the fence as to get one. only 3ch makes me.... uneasy. i want to gut it and build a new plane. 3ch will to elevrons tho. i cant decide.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:13 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Bill, Best video ever

My toddler enjoys watching the night vapor lap the living room as he runs around screaming and pointing. As it appears the 4 year olds require a tighter turning radius and higher alpha, I better start practicing a bit more.
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:12 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,929 Posts
LOL yes, he is also learning to fly the Vapor ... doing pretty well.

I just realised my Vapor is over 4 years old now (Sept. 2008) and still flying with the original 3 packs I bought with it!
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:17 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,449 Posts
right have not been able to get indoors yet and film BUT! heading to town on the 15th to go to the monthly indoor session so will get some footage there of me flying it and someone who knows how to fly a Vapor, should be a couple of the samples there so your questions should be answered on how it flys indoors

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:44 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidTs View Post
I know your models, they are really great. The only point is the relaibility, I guess you understand what I meen
I would love to see some examples of your scratch builds to see what you might be able to do with the Mini Vapor equipment. But, I can't find examples of planes you've built since you joined RCG on Nov 5th, and all three of your posts are in this thread. Still, if you have pictures of the types of planes you have built I would enjoy seeing them.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:41 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Awesome, I'm hoping mine wants to try his hand in a couple of years as well.

My original vapor is about the same age. Since, I've purchased two used Night Vapors on the forum here. One is like brand new, and the other has a great frame, but the brick stopped binding at some point. I just consider it backup parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
LOL yes, he is also learning to fly the Vapor ... doing pretty well.

I just realised my Vapor is over 4 years old now (Sept. 2008) and still flying with the original 3 packs I bought with it!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
right have not been able to get indoors yet and film BUT! heading to town on the 15th to go to the monthly indoor session so will get some footage there of me flying it and someone who knows how to fly a Vapor, should be a couple of the samples there so your questions should be answered on how it flys indoors

cheers chuck

Thanks, Chuck! Can't wait!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Nov 2012
25 Posts
@Gordon
I thing this forum is not for competition, but to exchange opinion (in polite way). There is no point when one joins the forum, or how many photos and posts he puts - I guess every memeber has the same right to express his opinion. Unfortunately after 6288 posts you still did not understand this.

Comming back, to your model, I do not get the point how my photos or posts ("requested" by you) are related to your models. I say that they are geat, but it seems this was not sufficient for you: "Experianced" modeler was upset for comment of the "beginner".
About my modells, sorry I do not put photos - I do not think that they are so good, but I enjoy them. The difference with ones from you is that I put less work (I use CFK frame and simple depron wings) and less money (I usually use HK 1.7-2.0 gr servos, not 95$ ones). As a result they fly not as good as yours (I'm sure) but for "beginner" like me they are OK. Most importantly I'm definitely not as good pilot as you so that if I try to fly such a nice model as yours (shown above), I would distry it after the first hard landing.

@Other members
Sorry that I did not discuss mini vapor but somehow I had to responce to that post

David
davidTs is offline Find More Posts by davidTs
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:08 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,159 Posts
Parkzone Mini Vapor RTF (1 min 50 sec)

shows slow flight in tight room - speed ahead to 50 seconds

I want one now because of that
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Last edited by Razors edge 29; Nov 13, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:13 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
that video just sold one!
Thats the one they should have on their official product page.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:03 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Any idea why PZ hides the weight of the new brick? I guess it is still above >2 gr. If this is correct, tehn one can try ~ 1 gr systems (not a cheap but definitely a better solution).

David
What are the "~ 1 gr systems"?

I'm not familiar with 1g, 3 Channel bricks.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:41 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
I enjoyed that video so much I just ran two batteries through my night vapor lol
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:46 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,432 Posts
Quote:
@Gordon
I thing this forum is not for competition, but to exchange opinion (in polite way). There is no point when one joins the forum, or how many photos and posts he puts - I guess every memeber has the same right to express his opinion. Unfortunately after 6288 posts you still did not understand this.

Comming back, to your model, I do not get the point how my photos or posts ("requested" by you) are related to your models. I say that they are geat, but it seems this was not sufficient for you: "Experianced" modeler was upset for comment of the "beginner".
About my modells, sorry I do not put photos - I do not think that they are so good, but I enjoy them. The difference with ones from you is that I put less work (I use CFK frame and simple depron wings) and less money (I usually use HK 1.7-2.0 gr servos, not 95$ ones). As a result they fly not as good as yours (I'm sure) but for "beginner" like me they are OK. Most importantly I'm definitely not as good pilot as you so that if I try to fly such a nice model as yours (shown above), I would distry it after the first hard landing.

@Other members
Sorry that I did not discuss mini vapor but somehow I had to responce to that post

David
======
Quote:
I would love to see some examples of your scratch builds to see what you might be able to do with the Mini Vapor equipment. But, I can't find examples of planes you've built since you joined RCG on Nov 5th, and all three of your posts are in this thread. Still, if you have pictures of the types of planes you have built I would enjoy seeing them.

Gordon
=======
I don't know how much more polite I could have been to say I'd enjoy seeing your models. I looked for past posts with pictures first but couldn't find any. I think I have shared and exchanged ideas in this post #35 and others further up in this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=35

I am seriously thinking of making a carbon fiber plane for the Mini Vapor equipment, probably a biplane or triplane. That's why I wondered what you were thinking of building. I've built plenty of CF rod based planes, as well as plenty of planes using Vapor bricks and plenty with solid Depron wings. Here's a post I wrote on this on Nov 3 in a thread in the other Micro Forum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=17

Quote:
A good rule of thumb for the loading to fly a nice sedate pace inside a house is 0.50 oz/sq.ft. The original Vapor had a loading of 1.0 oz/sq.ft.

Here's how I think a 0.50 oz/sq.ft loading can be obtained with a Mini Vapor as a starting point.

(1) Make a replacement wing with more span, but substitute lighter WES clear covering from www.homefly.com. I did this with a foam skeleton wing for my Aileron Vapor and made a wing that weighed less than the original Vapor wing with the same span.

(2) remove covering on tail and also replace with the lighter covering.

(3) substitute a 5" CF prop instead of the heavier plastic 5" prop on the Mini Vapor.

(4) save weight elsewhere as possible. For example, the battery tray can be removed to save weight and just use Dual Lock on the CF fuselage stick directly.

I suspect that between the lighter covering and prop substitution etc it will be possible to have a plane that weighs very close to what the Mini Vapor does, but with a substantially lower wing loading than its 1.26 oz/sq.ft loading.

Since the Mini Vapor has a wing area of about 35 sq.in, a span of 8.7 inches, and a chord of 5.25 inches, we can solve for the additional span that would be required to drop the wing loading to 0.50 oz/sq.ft. If the net weight were the same due to weight savings on covering and prop etc, then the new wingspan would need to be 18.6 inches. The original Vapor had a wing span of about 15 inches. So, this isn't bad to have a wingspan about 3.5 inches wider than the original, but half the wing loading of the original.

So, I think a true room flyer can be obtained by starting with a Mini Vapor and some relatively straightforward mods.

Another thing that could be done would be to make it into a Bipe Vapor, as has been done more than a few times with the original Vapor. Google Vapor bipe to see examples. A bipe could stick with, say, the original Vapor's 15 inch span, but add even more wing area, although weight would increase as well.

What I will build with this new brick I don't know yet. I won't know the weight of the Mini Vapor brick till mine arrives from back order and then I'll go from there. Since Horizon doesn't list the weight of most (maybe none) of their bricks I don't know how much lighter it will be than the standard classic 3.3g or so original Vapor brick.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
Perfect christmas present.
I think the big vapor will be much more relaxing when its way after dark and there's no wind in your front or back yard, weight lights and size do help with that.

But this vapor indoor landing/takeoffs on anything, i know Joel will enjoy that
Luna - "HAHA, The fun has been DOUBLED!" (0 min 5 sec)
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:50 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
davidTs: are you the deltang man? if so, what happened to your other account?
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull