HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:13 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
it certainly would. Perhaps a Foxtech Horyzon with the lens on top and the camera in the body. I feel its more a line of sight tri than an FPV. Crashes are inevitable in FPV and this frame wouldn't like much of that.
H
Yes, that is true. I still do a fair amount of crashing whie fpv-ing. That was why I suggested open area fpv ... just zooming around like a plane.
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:12 AM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Aug 2007
118 Posts
E-Flite 450

As I'm reading a lot about hit & miss with the cheap outrunners, I'm thinking of using three of these E-Flite 450's: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...400#quickSpecs

Any thoughts?
All Electric is offline Find More Posts by All Electric
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:35 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Electric View Post
As I'm reading a lot about hit & miss with the cheap outrunners, I'm thinking of using three of these E-Flite 450's: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...400#quickSpecs

Any thoughts?
hmm ... I think in some cases (not all) the difference between a cheap motor and an expensive one is the label (brand) ... and the price tag.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:38 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,192 Posts
This range of motors seem to get good reviews, and are similar / same as sunnysky ones. http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...cat=202&gtype=
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:28 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
997 Posts
Just flown outside, the motors and escs got warm but nowhere near as hot when flying indoors, could it be flying in prop wash that caused the motors to work so hard indoors? its difficult to tell how hot the motors are on the front as they are incased, the rear motor and esc was'nt hot at all, almost cold!
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:50 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmax View Post
Just flown outside, the motors and escs got warm but nowhere near as hot when flying indoors, could it be flying in prop wash that caused the motors to work so hard indoors? its difficult to tell how hot the motors are on the front as they are incased, the rear motor and esc was'nt hot at all, almost cold!
Great to hear of your success!

So, Tricopters should have a CG at where the 3 axis meet but in reality they fly better with the CG a bit further forward. I find that the weight being forward handles better, makes it less pitchy and smoother flight. Play around with your CG and see how it handles, then check temps on the ESCs and Motors. Air is quite good at circulating just about anywhere and flying forward over hovering will definitely have a better cooling effect. warm is ok, hot, as in, if I hold it I will drop it, is not. more heat means lower efficiency, lower reliability and possible thermal shutdown. With a forward CG the 2 front motors will work a little harder and therefore be a little warmer.

The rear motor sits on a metal / Aluminium bracket that acts as a heat sink and will help cooling.
Let's see some video!
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:46 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Great to hear of your success!

So, Tricopters should have a CG at where the 3 axis meet but in reality they fly better with the CG a bit further forward. I find that the weight being forward handles better, makes it less pitchy and smoother flight. Play around with your CG and see how it handles, then check temps on the ESCs and Motors. Air is quite good at circulating just about anywhere and flying forward over hovering will definitely have a better cooling effect. warm is ok, hot, as in, if I hold it I will drop it, is not. more heat means lower efficiency, lower reliability and possible thermal shutdown. With a forward CG the 2 front motors will work a little harder and therefore be a little warmer.

The rear motor sits on a metal / Aluminium bracket that acts as a heat sink and will help cooling.
Let's see some video!
H
Thanks!

Received 9047 props today, just tried em, motors virtually cold, front motor escs quite warm rear motor cold and esc, just over half throttle to hover.
seems to be a bit more zippy with the 1045s and flys nicer with 1045, as u say think I just need to play around with setup a bit more, really like the way tris fly, cross between plane and quad. I'm a tri convert!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my posts.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:13 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmax View Post
Thanks!

Received 9047 props today, just tried em, motors virtually cold, front motor escs quite warm rear motor cold and esc, just over half throttle to hover.
seems to be a bit more zippy with the 1045s and flys nicer with 1045, as u say think I just need to play around with setup a bit more, really like the way tris fly, cross between plane and quad. I'm a tri convert!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my posts.
I am glad that others think the same way. Tri's do seem to fly much more like a plane, with smooth flowing banked turns. I'm really want to set one up for fpv-ing.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:24 PM
Joined Aug 2007
118 Posts
How are you guys attaching the bottom part of the nacelles? Are you using the included tiny screws? How are they holding up? I'm thinking of using small rare earth magnets.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:29 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
572 Posts
Screws are fine providing you drill the holes close to the edge. I have had no problems. For the upper cover (motor) I used 3 very small dabs of epoxy..... Also works, a little bit more difficult to remove but can still be done.
dtm360 is offline Find More Posts by dtm360
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:01 AM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
997 Posts
I used some black rc plane covering, bit like solar film but its stick on not iron on, very thin, holds them well and u can't see it, my kk2 board went nuts the other day and one arm hit the deck, the cup just popped off with no damage due to the tape, normal clear tape works just as well not sure that would pop off in a crash though
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:59 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,192 Posts
I have used black electrical tape. Pretty rough but seems to work well. I will replace with Blenderm at some stage (clear surgical tape often used for making hinges on foamies).
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:10 PM
Joined Aug 2007
118 Posts
Thank you all. Tape looks is a good - no weight - option!
Correct that: I ended up using small rare earth magnets. Just for the fun of it. Turned out they work pretty well: popped off the bottom nacelles at a not so perfect landing.
Last edited by All Electric; Mar 10, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:21 AM
Joined Aug 2007
118 Posts
Almost done!

Almost done finishing my Tricopter. Hovered it a couple of times now. Very stable. I will not go all out and tweak my settings until I've updated my KK2 firmware to V1.5. Although I bought the board only a month ago, I was surprised to find it only has firmware V1.2 on it.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:21 AM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,667 Posts
Looks very nice! what motors are you using on it? How do you like the KK board? I have a micro MutiWii board from Jussi but I'n not surw aht I want to put in mine...
GorillaBob is offline Find More Posts by GorillaBob