2200mAh 3S battery
Baca is offline Find More Posts by Baca
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:15 PM
Parkzone collector supreme
Egypt, Cairo Governorate, Cairo
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
BACA how do you like it? I want to buy one for my tricopter parts.
Abdul Ghafur is offline Find More Posts by Abdul Ghafur
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:05 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Using the sk3 2830 1020 kv ones on mine and 4000mAh battery.
Test flew over the weekend. It is the first tri I have flown, and I was really impressed with the way it handled. Kp values were pretty low to get wobble free flying so either I have a vibration issue or the wide arms are creating a bit of turbulence?? Over all very nice.
Now on with the fpv part of the project ...
kaz1104 is online now Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:49 PM
san jose,ca
Joined Jun 2001
90 Posts
I am having lots of problems with my Tricopter.

As soon as I get off the ground the TriCopter flips on it back. I am using the KK2 board and I have a feeling the Aileron chanel is mixed up. In Receiver Test mode, the Aileron chanel is opposite from the direction I move the Right stick. I tried reversing the channel on my radio, but I think the moves the copter the wrong direction when i try to fly.

Any suggestions how to fix? Do I need to mess with the Mixer Setting in the board?

Thx, Balch
balch is offline Find More Posts by balch
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:34 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balch View Post
I am having lots of problems with my Tricopter.

As soon as I get off the ground the TriCopter flips on it back. I am using the KK2 board and I have a feeling the Aileron chanel is mixed up. In Receiver Test mode, the Aileron chanel is opposite from the direction I move the Right stick. I tried reversing the channel on my radio, but I think the moves the copter the wrong direction when i try to fly.

Any suggestions how to fix? Do I need to mess with the Mixer Setting in the board?

Thx, Balch
Worst part with this tricopter is that it will break if the setup is not right. Ask your question in the KK2.0 thread, but otherwise try holding the tricopter clear of the ground and advance the throttle to 1/4 to 1/3 (watch those spinning propellers, or better still remove them). Push the sticks left and right and make sure the motors respond the correct way. Tilt the tri and again make sure the motors respond to try to keep the heli level. It must repond the right way otherwise it will never fly. Check your channel mapping on the flight controllers screen. You should not have to mess with the mixers as long as you have selected tricopter. Yaw is the possible exception.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:32 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Howdy guys, ive been wanting one of these from the first time I seen one and rekon nows as good a time as any. Apart from 3 motors, 3 esc's, a servo and a KK2 thingy what exactly do I need to get regarding plugs/leads etc. I just want to make sure I get everything before I start, also what flight times can be expected. Thanks in advance.
Paradude is offline Find More Posts by Paradude
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:10 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
you need 5x male to male 30mm or longer servo extension leads.
Gyro mounting pads(self adhesive) to mount the kk board on the frame to isolate it from vibration.
Depending on motors/esc's used....extra lengths of 12 or 14 gauge electrical wire(red and black) to make some power leads from the esc's to the central gondola to hook up battery.
A mini digital servo for the yaw mechanism at the tail.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:01 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Thanks kahloq, Ive ordered just about every thing suggested but there sure to be something Ive missed ; )
Paradude is offline Find More Posts by Paradude
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:27 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
I'm a bit curious. This is the first tricopter I have built and I am stunned with the way it handles. Coming from a background of fixed wing models, the tricopter handles much more like a plane and feels more natural than my quads. Not sure if this is normal for tricopters of if I simply hit on some settings that work really well. I can throw the tricopter around in a way that I can only dream of with a quad. What are others finding when comparing quads to tricopters??

Mark
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:00 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
I'm a bit curious. This is the first tricopter I have built and I am stunned with the way it handles. Coming from a background of fixed wing models, the tricopter handles much more like a plane and feels more natural than my quads. Not sure if this is normal for tricopters of if I simply hit on some settings that work really well. I can throw the tricopter around in a way that I can only dream of with a quad. What are others finding when comparing quads to tricopters??

Mark
Mark,
The tri has always had a better yaw feel than quads. I've flown tri, quad, hexa and a few minutes on an octo. For free flight and general chuckability nothing beats the feel of a tricopter. It's the most heli like. People say the reliability is lower with the servo and moving parts but hey don't crash then. Quads make a horrible bee hive fight buzz that I don't like. It's like it's fighting itself.
I keep coming back to the tricopter.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:36 PM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,400 Posts
KAHLOQ! any chance youve done the edf conversion yet?
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:19 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I opted to do the edf setup on a standard y-copter frame first to get any and all bugs ironed out.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:21 PM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
2,054 Posts
I found one of these RTF today for $675 all trimmed out with LEDs. Anyone think that's a good deal?

My next question is about tricopters. I've never flown a tricopter. I've flown two quads. The AR.Drone 1.0 and 2.0 as well as Walkera's MX400. What I liked about the AR.Drone 2.0 (flown with a TX/RX) was that it's so stable and if you make a mistake you just let go of the sticks and it will right itself. It's very difficult to crash. The MX400 was different in that you had to be on the sticks. If I made a mistake, a crash could be imminent. I've also flown helicopters. One CP heli and various 4 channel helis. I've not mastered any of them, but I can hold my own and I certainly do not fly 3D.

So in comparison to those, how will a tricopter handle? This one in particular, (if anyone knows). The one that is on the block for sale has a "stable" mode that will return it to a level position if you let go of the sticks. It also has altitude hold, heading hold, and GPS hold as well as GPS return to home.

Thoughts...
JHawk19 is offline Find More Posts by JHawk19
Last edited by JHawk19; Feb 03, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:59 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Up to you if you think its worth it. The frame itself is $65....plus 3 motors of maybe $20 each or more, 20-30 amp esc's depednign on voltage...if you go 4s, you'd probably need 40 amp esc...so there's another 25 or more per esc.
Digital mini servo for tail...$20. Props.....$5 ea depedning on size. Flight control board.....$30+

With no battery, cheapest you could build one would be around $250-300 if you already have a reciever of your own to use. That has no led's, or gps. However, if you like the gps, then that makes up the rest of the cost cuz good gps systems are not cheap.

The KK2 board has self leveling capability, but you'll need to read the thread about the board to get instructions on what you need to do.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:36 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
3 motors for $10-15 a piece. The escs $9 a piece for 30 amp. I think you could get into this for under $200. LEDs are $3-4 for 120 lights. I fly a digital servo that cost $10. The challenge with this piece is the glass fiber will shatter and not be easy to repair. Looks good as a shelf queen.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock